Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1698981 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9600 on: April 16, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
Did it
Mine was probably a bit shorter as I dont play 40k nor AoS so missed two large blocks :>

What stroke me was lack of Necromunda on the list of games played at the beginning..
Yeah, very inconsistent: noticed that both Necromunda and Middle-earth were mentioned in some, but not others (and sometimes it included one of these, sometimes the other: not just that both were missing or present). As if the compiler just wrote down whatever they happened to remember at the time.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9601 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:19 PM »
Did it
Mine was probably a bit shorter as I dont play 40k nor AoS so missed two large blocks :>

What stroke me was lack of Necromunda on the list of games played at the beginning..
Not to mention Oldhammer.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9602 on: April 16, 2019, 09:56:01 PM »
THERE IS NO OLDHAMMER!!! Or maybe they just don't care...I felt a little dirty mentioning I still play HeroQuest :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #9603 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:38 PM »
Not to mention Oldhammer.

I mentioned Oldhammer once, but I think I got away with it

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9604 on: April 17, 2019, 04:20:20 AM »
I put in the survey the the old world was a favourite part for me. I bet they will listen to the ramblings of those over 18...  lol oh to be part of the target market. At least I'm glad they do bring back the old minis in some form with those week long metal sales of old school minis.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9605 on: April 17, 2019, 05:10:00 AM »
At least I'm glad they do bring back the old minis in some form with those week long metal sales of old school minis.
Yet also dropping dated parts of the line with no word of warning every now and then, as with the normal Goblin minis recently, not to mention all the Brets during "the Event". Just a couple of weeks notice, that's all I ask - and did indeed ask for. Collectors can get a few boxes without having to trade in their second kidney via ebay, while GW can get a nice influx of cash before the old kits are put out to pasture, simultaneously looking customer friendly for doing so. Everybody wins.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9606 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:18 AM »
Yeah, word of warning before discontinuation would be nice. I was looking for the old wolfriders the other day and couldn't find them. Probably been gone for years though. I guess I'll just have to buy some fenrisian wolves for my old metal wolfriders (actually I bought some chaos wolves instead, they might be good for Goblin mounts if I don't chaosify them too much)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #9607 on: April 17, 2019, 10:36:51 AM »
oh to be part of the target market.

Pretty sure GW sees the middle-aged man spending his disposable income on their products as equally important as the kids these days. It is one of the main keys to their rejuvenation: we're the guys who spend the big money on their stuff, so keeping us happy is a priority.

If you think about it, in the West at least ours is the only generation where someone get into their 30s, is earning good money, and says "I want to buy all the toys I couldn't afford when I was 14".

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9608 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »
True, they already have me, but their aim is to get the new blood in who will be the future big spenders. (well maybe their real aim is to make games that sell well but I guess I'm over generalising with my previous statement).

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9609 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »
The plastic wargs make nice whfb goblin mounts I've found.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9610 on: April 17, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
Yeah, word of warning before discontinuation would be nice. I was looking for the old wolfriders the other day and couldn't find them. Probably been gone for years though. I guess I'll just have to buy some fenrisian wolves for my old metal wolfriders (actually I bought some chaos wolves instead, they might be good for Goblin mounts if I don't chaosify them too much)

Maybe the old Grenadier wolves could work out too???
I have an old metal goblin wolf rider somewhere (80's version) and a few of those wolves somewhere.
I shall see if I can find them and take a look for ya if you want....

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9611 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:11 PM »
They're on eBay quite a lot. I've recently been buying up the old Chronicle Orc Wolf riders and keep having to scroll through pages of Citadel plastic Goblin wolf riders.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9612 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »
The plastic wargs make nice whfb goblin mounts I've found.
You're right, I might do a bit of face resculpting though... or not. I'll see what looks best.

Maybe the old Grenadier wolves could work out too???
I have an old metal goblin wolf rider somewhere (80's version) and a few of those wolves somewhere.
I shall see if I can find them and take a look for ya if you want....

Thanks bud, I'm trying to keep it all GW based though (I don't know why but I don't like mixing brands too much)

They're on eBay quite a lot. I've recently been buying up the old Chronicle Orc Wolf riders and keep having to scroll through pages of Citadel plastic Goblin wolf riders.

Thanks. Just after wolves for now. Those old GW wolves were quite bad, too monopose for my liking, maybe a reason for them axing them?

Off to check for cheap wargs and fenrisian wolves. :)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9613 on: April 18, 2019, 04:44:57 AM »
This is exactly why any GW talk is kept to this thread.

Every so many posts we may as well just post 'EVIL GAMES WORKSHOP' let those that want to nod in agreement and the rest of us get on with being rather less negative and trying to enjoy what GW has to offer to the hobby. Being the biggest gateway for youngsters into the hobby is just one of them.
Get over yourself...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9614 on: April 18, 2019, 05:06:01 AM »
Pretty sure GW sees the middle-aged man spending his disposable income on their products as equally important as the kids these days. It is one of the main keys to their rejuvenation: we're the guys who spend the big money on their stuff, so keeping us happy is a priority.

If you think about it, in the West at least ours is the only generation where someone get into their 30s, is earning good money, and says "I want to buy all the toys I couldn't afford when I was 14".
Age is irrelevant, they're just banking on nostalgia and uncritical fanboys...

Who else would pay $35+ for a book of errata* every year? Blades of Khorne got a new book in 2 years and I bought mine in 2018. >:( Warhammer Chronicles is why I dropped out of WFB 6th edition and didn't come back til AoS and motivational discussion with a now former GW store manager. I skipped Ao$ 2.0 and now waiting 3.0 in a year or two - Warhammer works better in odd numbers or 3s. ;D Maybe if a mercenary faction is brought back...

*Yes, it's more than a book of errata, but GWdub$ is charging $10 more for less pages than in 2017 and 2016.