Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:01:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683579 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9855 on: June 11, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »
I’m excited to try some zenith work in airbrush before the contrast is applied. All in all they should be a fun new tool.

Ooh, that does sound like an interesting combination!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #9856 on: June 11, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
Hi all, I was at warhammer fest this year and was seriously impressed with the contrast paints for certain applications. Squigs, trolls, goblins and eldar all looked great! Space marines not so much, which makes it all the more frustrating that they're using them as the display models, even if they are their babies.

Personally I'm excited not to have to basecoat, wash and basecoat again to get to a decent looking level. I hate basecoating, I enjoy the highlighting and the detail work. I think with these paints I might actually be able to paint an army!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9857 on: June 12, 2019, 12:34:03 PM »
I also had the chance to play with the Contrast range last Saturday in my local GW. I was there for about 3 hours and painted 2 of the 40K Nurgle miniatures (terrific plastic by the way!). On the first model I spent about 90 minutes and on the second one 45 minutes. Which is on the fast side for me. Instead of experimenting with all colours and splashing them around I tried to paint a whole miniature with them and see what I could achieve. These two miniatures were painted with Contrasts over the two special primers (nr. 1 over the bone colour, nr. 2 over grey). I used a pot of light grey to add a bit of highlighting here and there and painted the base black at home.
I was pleasantly surprised! The range works very well and you can get terrific results with some of them. The Iyanden yellow is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to paint tons of miniatures with this colour. Such a fantastic vibrant yellow with excellent coverage and a very nice orangey shade. Wet blending the tentacles to get some colour blending also works very well. In general you really need to be careful with wet Contrast, because it will mix and blend in no time with other wet colours. But if you want to wet blend colours, that is super easy!
As a range it's an odd mix though. Some colours like the yellow, Ultramarines Blue or Blood Angels Red are -very- strong in colour and are extremely thick. Others, like some purples and greens (can't remember their silly names though) are much thinner and felt more like glazes. I can't really imagine basecoating with these thin colours, but the effect they give is fantastic. Very subtle and excellent to glaze and add colour tones to a model. So they're unlike the old washes; these all felt similar in opacity, consistency, pigment values, etc. But a lot of Contrast paints cannot be compared to each other. That was a bit odd.
But are they great? Yes! Are they all great? No. There are colours I didn't like (some Ork Green that dried patchy) and some are too thin or too dark for their effect. So I do recommend checking them out on YouTube or paint samples before you get them. And this is also very personal...so if you can try them out, DO IT!

Model 1 - 90 minutes, Contrast + light grey highlights here and there

Model 2 - 45 minutes, Contrast + light grey highlights here and there

“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9858 on: June 12, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
Cracking results there, especially the wet blended areas.
 :-*

I think I may have to give them a go as I have some Eldar unpainted that may benefit from this system.
 :D

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #9859 on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
I like those pox walkers! The blending on then looks great. I really like the effect of the dark contrast paints on metallic areas too, looks like it would be great for matt black guns and things.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9860 on: June 13, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »
The pox walkers look great!

I'm very interested to see how these paints will work on old metal miniatures with shallow but intricate detail. I'm thinking of the likes of Ral Partha, Grenadier (especially stuff by John Dennett and Julie Guthrie) and Metal Magic. A lot of the stuff produced by those companies was great, but was detailed in a very different way from Citadel/GW's stuff. It's much harder to paint to the same level, because features are more delicate and the sculpting's more subtle.

I was looking last night at Julie Guthrie's old Grenadier dragon-man:

It's a great little model, but almost immune to conventional highlighting and shading because the ribs on the wings are so subtle; I've never had good results even with drybrushing on stuff like that. I was going to attempt to paint it just with washes and glazes over a white undercoat. But these new paints might just do the trick ...

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #9861 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:02 PM »
The contrast paints do look great and I'm particularly interested in the flesh colours as I hate painting faces.
But what happens when you need to touch up an area because you've been a bit messy with another colour? Not that I ever do that obviously.
Presumably you need to apply some more primer before you use the contrast paint?
Also, does anybody know if this formulation is proprietary to GW or can we look forward to other companies coming up with their own versions?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9862 on: June 13, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
The contrast paints do look great and I'm particularly interested in the flesh colours as I hate painting faces.
But what happens when you need to touch up an area because you've been a bit messy with another colour? Not that I ever do that obviously.
Presumably you need to apply some more primer before you use the contrast paint?

From looking at the GW site, it seems that they sell potted paint in their "layer" range that matches the two new primers. So I think you can retouch with that, then reapply the contrast stuff.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9863 on: June 13, 2019, 08:43:41 PM »
So tried out those new Contrast paints today in GW Watford, honestly with mixed results.

Pros:
White and Black are really good.
Easy rust/dirt effects.
Fast.
Great wet blending.
Great to layer over metallics (Just be careful and will need thinning with medium).

Cons:
Messy and hard to control while still being speedy (Its speed or control).
Costly (£4.75 a pot and you use a fair bit).
Certain colours are weaker than others and some layers are shiny when finished.

So while they may not be aimed at me I'll still be picking up the white at least as that's honestly the true start of the range from my standpoint.

This is just my view point, but I recommend trying them at least.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9864 on: June 13, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
Useful info!

White and Black are really good.

That's very good to know - especially as those are two of the hardest colours to get right with conventional painting.

Certain colours are weaker than others and some layers are shiny when finished.

Any thoughts on which colours should be avoided to start with? Or is more a case that the weaker ones would be OK for certain jobs and the strong ones too strong for others?

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9865 on: June 13, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »
Any thoughts on which colours should be avoided to start with? Or is more a case that the weaker ones would be OK for certain jobs and the strong ones too strong for others?

I'm guessing it's the case that it will be job dependant and lots of playing around will be in order.

But from my hour or so of messing around I can say Blood Angels Red is a rather strong/rich and covers well but dries with a unexpected candy red finish if you use too much or go with 2 thin coats. Iyanden Yellow on the other hand goes on better if you add some medium and go for 2 thinner coats to get a full richness.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9866 on: June 13, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
Thanks! I'll make a few tentative purchases when these hit the stores, so all advance info much appreciated!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9867 on: June 14, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »
Gosh - John Blanche really is a very talented artist:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/11/contrast-testimonies-john-blanchegw-homepage-post-3/

It's amazing how similar to his other stuff he's managed to make this. I'm stoked to get hold of this stuff.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9868 on: June 14, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong it is nice but the pooling of paint is a big turn off for me.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #9869 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »
"There are a lot of great shades of brown in the new range". Why am I not surprised JB would say something like that?  :)

Gosh - John Blanche really is a very talented artist
The man is a god! I am very lucky to own some minis he converted and painted. Photos don't quite do them justice.