Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683663 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6855 on: July 01, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
Yself and some friends are heading to WHW in a few months (something we haven't done for a few years) and I notice in the stipulations now you must have painted and based models in order to use their tables. This has been the cause for some grumbles from some of the party (Not sure why we aren't going for three months and they only have to paint Shadow war kill teams!) But I think it's great. I used to hate seeing the mass of grey plastic on their nice tables.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:19:30 PM by Sir_Theo »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6856 on: July 01, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »
I've seen no shortage of complaints about this kind of stipulation with regard to GW stores, etc.  To me it makes sense - you are their mobile advertising while you're there.  They're letting you use their game space and terrain in exchange for being a billboard of the hobby.

Back around maybe 2004 I was visiting the local GW shop frequently.  Had a small Eldar army but more importantly the local GW was staffed by people I became friends with, including the manager.

At that point the corporate policy was no public gaming and only Thursday night "bring and battles" of 1,000 points - again with the 3-colours stipulation etc.  I had befriended an old likeable guy who happened to be a "damaged" Vietnam vet.  One of his few joys in life was getting to play some tabletop games, 40K being one of them.  I approached the store manager and asked if we could come in mid-day on Wednesdays and do some gaming.  He knew we both had fully painted armies and allowed us a couple hours during the week to make use of the store's tables and terrain (we'd push together tables and run quite large 2,000+ point games).

While this was against the wishes of the regional manager etc., it was simple to him.  If a potential customer came in he could show them the little 5 Marines vs 10 Orks starter demo that every store had...or he could show two players in the midst of a massive 8'x4' game w/ tanks, walkers, heaps of infantry - all painted nicely etc.  It was advertising the product far better than a demo game ever could.  We were not outlandish gamers and it was a 22 year old kid and a 55+ year old man.  We gamed like this for a week or two for several months until the gentleman ended up in a psychiatric hospital again --- but when we gamed we always had a dozen or more people swing by and watch the game while they were perusing the store.  Just good advertising.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6857 on: July 01, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
Oh, and just to put a damper on everything good and neat...a wild price hike has just appeared.  lol  Oh, and $35+ hero plastic kits, lol.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6858 on: July 02, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
Since this is the official GW thread, here's an idea ;) We are seeing so many members going back to 40k, so what about we create our own "official" forum Chapter?

It would be a team effort and the main objective would be to re-use old figures that are gathering dust. One member could do a tactical squad; another an assault one and so on.

We would have to agree to a paint-scheme; Chapter Name and someone would have to do the fluff part  lol

To get the ball rolling: as for the name I propose "Lead Adventurers" and I pledge a Tactical Squad of 10 Marines (bought used from Ebay, being stripped of paint right now).

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #6859 on: July 02, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »
We would have to agree to a paint-scheme; Chapter Name and someone would have to do the fluff part  lol

Most obvious colours are Rotting Flesh and Knarloc Green!

Which incidentally are the exact paints I overused and abused for a load of Nurgle chaos marines lol

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6860 on: July 02, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »
Most obvious colours are Rotting Flesh and Knarloc Green!

Which incidentally are the exact paints I overused and abused for a load of Nurgle chaos marines lol

Didn't thought of that, it matches the colors of the forum  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6861 on: July 02, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
Man...I'm so close!

Offline MYNKD

• Assistant
« Reply #6862 on: July 02, 2017, 11:05:22 PM »
Since this is the official GW thread, here's an idea ;) We are seeing so many members going back to 40k, so what about we create our own "official" forum Chapter?

It would be a team effort and the main objective would be to re-use old figures that are gathering dust. One member could do a tactical squad; another an assault one and so on.

We would have to agree to a paint-scheme; Chapter Name and someone would have to do the fluff part  lol

To get the ball rolling: as for the name I propose "Lead Adventurers" and I pledge a Tactical Squad of 10 Marines (bought used from Ebay, being stripped of paint right now).

Lead Champions, maybe? Renowned for their reluctance to use more modern technology?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6863 on: July 02, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
Lead Champions, maybe? Renowned for their reluctance to use more modern technology?

It sounds better than my idea. I vote for that one instead  :o Lead Champions it is  ;)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #6864 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:02 AM »
Anyone know the points cost of a regular tactical marine in 8th edition?
We need to do a comparison between a regular old marine and a primaris one(24 pts in 8th) to point out primaris marines for 7th edition ;)
Thanks,Pete

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6865 on: July 03, 2017, 06:12:51 AM »

All their vehicles in bare metal? Because they acquire butt-loads of them. They just never seem to get around to painting them...
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline MYNKD

• Assistant
« Reply #6866 on: July 03, 2017, 06:48:53 AM »
Anyone know the points cost of a regular tactical marine in 8th edition?
We need to do a comparison between a regular old marine and a primaris one(24 pts in 8th) to point out primaris marines for 7th edition ;)
Thanks,Pete

Tactical Marine w/ Default Loadout (Boltgun, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades) is 13 pts per model.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #6867 on: July 03, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
It sounds better than my idea. I vote for that one instead  :o Lead Champions it is  ;)

Finally I know what chapter to paint my C100 marine squad, better not leave them
Another 25 years.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #6868 on: July 03, 2017, 09:14:49 PM »
If we come up with a good colour scheme then I will paint up a squad of beakies from my Rogue Trader entourage in that scheme. I already decided on a scheme for my terminators so its too late for those.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6869 on: July 03, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
Lead Devils or the Leadbutts  :D.
Funny enterprise, won't join since I have barely anything with a traditional gun, let alone with bolters and laserthingies. Will see where this is going, of course  ;).
Leadhead