Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 474
Total: 482

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683301 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8115 on: March 16, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
Crap, didn't even play SWA yet.
Still, it did get me excited for some 40k again, so not a complete waste.

I would love if the new Kill-Team is, like, actually a good game, instead of subpar with an awesome 40k sauce.
Swa got me painting some 40k and I was looking forward to it, but just from the book I already thought it was lacking a bit in the options/gameplay department.

If GW brings out the potential it has, that would be sweet. Wouldn't really mind buying another book if this really give some options.

And, agreed, those Van Saars look ace.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #8116 on: March 16, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »
Maybe Commisar Moody, just maybe

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8117 on: March 16, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »
Well it says kill teams is an entirely new rule set, not based on 8th edition. It also says great for roleplayers, which makes me think it has quite a bit of in depth progression going on.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8118 on: March 17, 2018, 12:30:55 AM »
What was shown have 3 levels of simple skills in it. But lets hope its only the tip of an iceberg..

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8119 on: March 17, 2018, 12:52:15 AM »
Well it says kill teams is an entirely new rule set, not based on 8th edition. It also says great for roleplayers, which makes me think it has quite a bit of in depth progression going on.
fingers crossed on that.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8120 on: March 17, 2018, 02:26:04 AM »
I'd probably be keen on a kill team like that. Hopefully rules for all factions in the one box...  lol
I'd like a Necron Kill team.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8121 on: March 17, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
Forgebane is up for pre-order - £95 - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40000-Forgebane-2018-ENG. Not really doing anything for me :(

The Van Saar's, on the other hand :-* The one downside is that I suspect they will be kits rather than components, which is going to make converting them a right pain. I do like the direction GW is going, but the move away from separate torsos and legs is annoying. I'm busy using a box of Empire Militia troop torsos with Tau legs to make some more irregular looking Tau. Their current kit fascination is going to make that a lot more difficult in future :(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8122 on: March 17, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
Unfortunately GW is going full-bore into "not conversion friendly" kit design in an effort to protect themselves a bit more from the 3rd party market.  Shame, really.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8123 on: March 17, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
Unfortunately GW is going full-bore into "not conversion friendly" kit design in an effort to protect themselves a bit more from the 3rd party market.  Shame, really.

Whilst i can see what you mean with certain kits, I've had no real problem messing around with recent GW kits. It may take a little more work or a bit of thinking outside the box, But the absolutel wealth of nice kits seems to have been a boon to kitbashes and converters in recent years.

The sisters of silence are a good example. They are designed to go together in a very particular way, certain legs to certain torsos ect.
When i opened the sprues i thought "bugger...useless." but after messing around for a bit i found alot of great potential for them!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8124 on: March 17, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »

Just bought the orlock boxed set and found that...why couldn't they be flat joins!?

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8125 on: March 17, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »

I assumed it was to enable them to design more dynamic looking models and get away from the shitty 90's He-Man armed models that still plague the darker corners of their catalogue.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8126 on: March 17, 2018, 08:41:37 PM »
So what if they only go together in a specific way? No different to a single part metal casting or similar where any conversion work you want to do is done from the point where the model is complete. Saw off an arm, weapons, head, etc and find a replacement bit, sculpt in some join detail. Beyond me, but it obviously can be done. Besides, arms that attach to torsos via flat joins can often look a bit off, like He-Man arms as SCL points out lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:52:27 PM by Gibby »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8127 on: March 17, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
Just bought the orlock boxed set and found that...why couldn't they be flat joins!?

I thought this a while ago, Until I actually went back and look at the flat joint miniatures i have. As much as i loved putting catachan arms on everything, the big flat joints of the older 40k kits make for some really obvious and ugly joins. where the parry brothers can do flat joins because their models are very fine and realistically proportioned, GWs style just really doesn't suit flat joins, because without some armour or something covering them they just end up looking way too obvious.

(and lets not even talk about the chaos marauders. If I ever wanted a 28mm he-man , I know what kit i'd go for!)

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #8128 on: March 17, 2018, 10:04:30 PM »

Colour me vaguely interested, assuming...

What was shown have 3 levels of simple skills in it. But lets hope its only the tip of an iceberg..

... it's more than those 3 levels.  :D

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8129 on: March 17, 2018, 11:23:03 PM »
Whilst i can see what you mean with certain kits, I've had no real problem messing around with recent GW kits. It may take a little more work or a bit of thinking outside the box, But the absolutel wealth of nice kits seems to have been a boon to kitbashes and converters in recent years.

The sisters of silence are a good example. They are designed to go together in a very particular way, certain legs to certain torsos ect.
When i opened the sprues i thought "bugger...useless." but after messing around for a bit i found alot of great potential for them!

She is a beauty Nic-e.. Very statuesque in a good way,  I am actually enamored in more static "Brother in arms" style poses lately myself. They just go  together better for pictures :P

And I agree..
Apart from really single pose models like Shadespire miniatures, modern GW plastic are wonders to work with conversion wise..
Plastic is of high quality and cut well and some green stuffing was always part of conversion making.

Look at this guy. He is really simple conversion made from new Orlocks.

While I am generally more interested in converting and building than painting [well building is much easier :] and playing and I am buying most of the kits for parts theese days (actually all except Necromunda bought last year were either for parts or converting)
. I find new models extremely easy to work with.