Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1698637 times)

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8700 on: August 15, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
If you're not making scratchbuilt Ork vehicles, you're doing Orks wrong.  >:D
Most clubs. Stores and players wouldn't accept them these days

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8701 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »
I remember that article...I didn't build it though I went with one of the battlewagons shown at the end of the article...the one with a huge cannon stick out of a house on wheels :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #8702 on: August 15, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

You're going to the wrong places.  The only place I know where they wouldn't accept that thing would be  a GW shop. 

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8703 on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
On a side note while the GW video is funny it is sad to see such a cool older mini being smashed...I guess that is GWs new MO, Kill The Past.

Edit - weird.

I had typed that I'm not sure how true that is. I think it's more that they are re-visiting the past for those too young to have experienced the games the first time round. The new Necromunda is better than 95's, although a little more complex. And there are plenty of references in there to the old such as the Beastman bounty hunter - a nod to an older miniature. And the Squat bountyhunter, not to mention it sounds like we might get Brat Gangs again, first seen in Confrontation (late 80's).

Everything seems to be taking a bit of a deeper delve into the fluff, and is richer for it IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:41:10 PM by mcfonz »
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8704 on: August 15, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »

You should tell those clubs, stores, and players to fuck off.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8705 on: August 16, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »
Edit - weird.

I had typed that I'm not sure how true that is. I think it's more that they are re-visiting the past for those too young to have experienced the games the first time round. The new Necromunda is better than 95's, although a little more complex. And there are plenty of references in there to the old such as the Beastman bounty hunter - a nod to an older miniature. And the Squat bountyhunter, not to mention it sounds like we might get Brat Gangs again, first seen in Confrontation (late 80's).

Everything seems to be taking a bit of a deeper delve into the fluff, and is richer for it IMHO.

I loved the original Necromunda but the way GW have handled the new one just puts me right off.

I think we will have to disagree, which is cool. But, GW have been fairly heavy handed in many ways at breaking up what 40k was over the 30 odd years I've been in the hobby; it's gone from a skirmish game where 20-30 minis was considered a big force to game that seems to be almost as big as an Epic game (seriously when you look at some of the Epic battle reports from WD back in the day the armies used are the same size almost as a 40k army in a WD battle report now). Plus they broke up the galaxy and the whole threat from the Eye of Terror for seemingly no reason (Pappa Smurf seems to zap about all over the place). Where once I absorbed 40k in all forms now I barely have any enthusiasm for it.

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #8706 on: August 16, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »
You can have a Space Ghost?

Exactly my first thought when I read this  lol

Tempted to grab these rules, been hoping to find something to handle some small scale, high powered 40k skirmish hijinx in a very narrative sense, and I feel a return to the old school RT style RPG-meets-wargame will be better suited for what I have planned than Kill Team's Open Play or Narrative Play options (at the moment, I'm sure more will be added down the line that may bring it more into line with what I'm after!).

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8707 on: August 16, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
A few quick questions for anyone who has picked up Kill Team...

• What is Matched Play like? Are there any differences in terms of how the game plays or when building your Kill Team?

• Does the small board work or would 3x3ft or 4x4ft be better?

Cheers

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8708 on: August 16, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »
I remember that article...I didn't build it though I went with one of the battlewagons shown at the end of the article...the one with a huge cannon stick out of a house on wheels :D

Not sure but maybr it was this braincrusha? Was in the first WD i bought and it's stuck with me.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8709 on: August 16, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
Not sure but maybr it was this braincrusha? Was in the first WD i bought and it's stuck with me.

And there were GW models of all these wonderful orky vehicles too - in Epic scale at least - ah, the nostalgia.  :D

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8710 on: August 16, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »
I loved the original Necromunda but the way GW have handled the new one just puts me right off.

On the plus side rules are logically placed and equipped with great table of contents.
Its much better document for studying the rules than actual mess GW is releasing.
It might be part of its greatness maybe ? Chaos of early more creative period ?
But its frustrating to use as a gaming material.
I have everything they released and I use reddit compilation as rules document..

You are seriously loosing because of prejudice against shitty business model
NeoMunda IS better game than Necromunda was.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:25:59 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8711 on: August 16, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

That's the one :D

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8712 on: August 17, 2018, 06:28:38 AM »
Apparently, the latest Necromunda expansion has been a huge improvement: logical, free of the many inconsistencies of previous books and indeed fixing a number of existing issues. Or: as you should be able to expect from any rulebook, let alone one produced by GW. That said, needing the starter set for the main rulebook and several of the expansions to just play the basic game (depending on your gang of choice, you won't quite require all 4) is still ridiculous. For a player just starting out, that is an immense pricetag for a skirmish game of 10-15 models, not to mention the difficulty in finding relevant and most up-to-date rules scattered over those 5 (and counting) books. I'll just stay with the hobby side of things, hoping that there will be a decently written official compendium by the time my gang is actually finished.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline The_Wanderer

• Bookworm
    • My 15th Century Swiss Blog
« Reply #8713 on: August 17, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »
. I'll just stay with the hobby side of things, hoping that there will be a decently written official compendium by the time my gang is actually finished.

+1 - It's getting stupid that to play a game you need coming up for 5 books, half of which have duplicate material printed in them or are full of errors. Just going to wait for the compendium....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:26:48 AM by Westfalia Chris »
15th Century Swiss Blog: http://hrothgarswiss.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8714 on: August 17, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
For the life of me i can't understand why GW don't put all the army list stuff, if not the rules themselves, online for free as living rulebooks purely as a vehicle to sell more minis. The margins on thd books must be awful and the opportunity cost huge at the prices they are.