Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1696158 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8865 on: September 11, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »
I remember entering a painting contest at the Cardiff GW store about 15 years ago - before I started painting for money. I painted the Boromir with the horn model and handed it in for the contest. When I went to collect it, the staff looked all embarrassed and said they'd entered it into the kids competition by mistake … in consolation they said it won easily. I felt very odd about that whole experience. I forget what the prize was, a crappy Warhammer novel I think.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8866 on: September 11, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
You mean like the getting started boxes they have for their other games? The main limitation is that those sets only contain plastics, a playable army requires characters to lead it, and there are very few plastic character miniatures in the range (just a handful of named ones and some boxes have the option to build captains). Although there will be more plastic characters in the future apparently. Of course, a small starter for this game just means one or two boxes of troops really - a box of 24 warriors and one of 6 cavalry gives you a very playable force. One more box and you've got a fully fledged army in many cases.

If by skirmish you mean a dozen figures a side, the Battle Companies system may be of interest - it's SBG's version of Mordheim, using the standard rules and profiles for the game, with a campaign/experience system added on. Single sprue of most warrior types will get you a starting warband (with spares); add a single blister of each of the faction elites and you're set for a full campaign.

Ahh that's true. Thanks, I will check it out.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8867 on: September 12, 2018, 01:48:52 AM »
I remember entering a painting contest at the Cardiff GW store about 15 years ago - before I started painting for money. I painted the Boromir with the horn model and handed it in for the contest. When I went to collect it, the staff looked all embarrassed and said they'd entered it into the kids competition by mistake … in consolation they said it won easily. I felt very odd about that whole experience. I forget what the prize was, a crappy Warhammer novel I think.

That’s the spirit! Attaboy!  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8868 on: September 12, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
Ah yes, GW sponsored rewards: this must have been something like 20 years or more ago, but I came third in a local painting competetion, it was a big event for local one, and they had distinguished GW reps all the way from Britain promoting WH40k or WFB. Might have been the year they had Andy Chambers talking about the new 40k or something.

Anyways, the price I got was: 1) GW diploma for 'pretty good painting' 2) one (!) miniature painted by someone of the GW studio Crew and 3) one 40k pin which was missing the lock thingy....

needless to say I was a tad underwhelmed. Those GW folks did look a bit embarrassed when they handed out the prizes, maybe they had lost their luggage or something? At least they weren't handing hotel towels and soaps... lol

It's entirely possible they didn't realise how big the event actually was, I mean it was in Finland up there in the Chaos wastes. Only the biggest con in the Nordic countries at least way bakc then.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:38:29 AM by Verderer »

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8869 on: September 13, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
Oh, I went to a local game shop to buy some paints (another local hobby shop closed down for good this summer, and so went my source of Vallejo paints, among other things... :-[ ) And on impulse, I bought a box of Poxwalkers, and Orc BB team. I say, this is pretty good kit, you have 12 orc players, a bunch of tokens, and a set of transfers, all under 20 euros? Doesn't sound too bad.

I still got my old dwarf team for BB, so maybe I can entize one of my mates for a game of BB, they've never played it, poor buggers.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #8870 on: September 13, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »
I still got my old dwarf team for BB, so maybe I can entize one of my mates for a game of BB, they've never played it, poor buggers.

That's shocking! BB is a great game, for me it's a rare example of GW making a game that actually still holds up really well.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8871 on: September 13, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
My current gaming friends are almost solely into boardgames and RPGs, I don't think any of them have played miniature games in 15 years or more? But I have cunning plans to draw them into miniatures...

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8872 on: September 14, 2018, 10:38:27 PM »
. I say, this is pretty good kit, you have 12 orc players, a bunch of tokens, and a set of transfers, all under 20 euros? Doesn't sound too bad.

Its great. Only minus is number of positional players (you are getting only 2 Black orcs and 2 Blitzers and you want 4 of both.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8873 on: September 15, 2018, 12:38:31 AM »
Its great. Only minus is number of positional players (you are getting only 2 Black orcs and 2 Blitzers and you want 4 of both.

True that, you would eventually need a another orc box, or even the boxed BB basic set to have all the positionals.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8874 on: September 17, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
I received my copy of Rogue Trader today - in Malta - that was really fast!
Useful (hopefully) point of information: although it's an expansion, the set includes the core rules in a pamphlet 8 pages (of rather small print!) long. I haven't checked, but I'd guess it's playable alone using these. There's the Rogue Trader rule book, with new rules and scenarios and rules for the two opposing teams; and as I think has been mentioned, a couple of small codexes (codices?) to use the teams in 40K.
Unusual box for GW, opening sideways, with the bottom half fully enclosed inside the outer box - very rigid.
Also unusual for GW, but not for Kill Team, the Nurgle guys are in green, the Rogue Traders in red; the equipment, doors etc in grey. Unusually - no dice! But you get the boards for the gaming surface and assorted cards and counters. Total of 33 models, with a variety of small Nurgle beasties.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8875 on: September 17, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
Unusually - no dice! But you get the boards for the gaming surface and assorted cards and counters. Total of 33 models, with a variety of small Nurgle beasties.
There are two variants, one with dice, one without - for another £8.00 you could have got the dice  ;D - link

I assume you can buy the dice separately...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8876 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »
There are two variants, one with dice, one without - for another £8.00 you could have got the dice  ;D - link

I assume you can buy the dice separately...
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that - you're right. I had no need for more.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8877 on: September 17, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
To be honest GW dice lately are on fire. They are great.

But Kill team dice are bit underwhelming...
I consider Deathwatch one for great deathwatch I logo but rest is just boring in comparison to epic nurgle festering dice!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:15:00 PM by AWu »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #8878 on: September 18, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
Heya folks - anyone got the new Adeptus Titanicus buildings in hand? Do they work for 6mm? I hear people say that the new scale is '8mm', but the knights I bought seem to fit fine with my 6mm stuff. It'd be ace if the buildings did!!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8879 on: September 18, 2018, 10:55:19 PM »
Heya folks - anyone got the new Adeptus Titanicus buildings in hand? Do they work for 6mm? I hear people say that the new scale is '8mm', but the knights I bought seem to fit fine with my 6mm stuff. It'd be ace if the buildings did!!

I’ve seen them at the local store, and think they’d be fine for 6mm. I almost bought the buildings, don’t care about the rest.