Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:09:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682705 times)

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8880 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »
I received my copy of Rogue Trader today - in Malta - that was really fast!
Useful (hopefully) point of information: although it's an expansion, the set includes the core rules in a pamphlet 8 pages (of rather small print!) long. I haven't checked, but I'd guess it's playable alone using these. There's the Rogue Trader rule book, with new rules and scenarios and rules for the two opposing teams; and as I think has been mentioned, a couple of small codexes (codices?) to use the teams in 40K.
Unusual box for GW, opening sideways, with the bottom half fully enclosed inside the outer box - very rigid.
Also unusual for GW, but not for Kill Team, the Nurgle guys are in green, the Rogue Traders in red; the equipment, doors etc in grey. Unusually - no dice! But you get the boards for the gaming surface and assorted cards and counters. Total of 33 models, with a variety of small Nurgle beasties.

Quick word of caution : the core rules included are for 40K, not Kill Team, they're the same sheet that comes in all the box sets. You definitely still need the Kill Team rule book to play Rogue Trader.

My set arrived today - the miniatures look great in the flesh so far, they've skipped pretty close to the front of the assembly queue, very much looking forward to painting the Starstriders half (although I hate that name!)   :D  For what it is, I'm very happy with the contents and definitely looking forward to playing through the narrative missions included with the wife. Definitely feel that it's a bit of a missed opportunity to bring in rules for custom Rogue Traders and their retinues, but it's a solid boxset regardless and there's always Inquisitor and Inquisimunda for those of us who like to tinker a bit more!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8881 on: September 20, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
Quick word of caution : the core rules included are for 40K, not Kill Team, they're the same sheet that comes in all the box sets. You definitely still need the Kill Team rule book to play Rogue Trader.
Oops - apologies if that was misleading - I had assumed it was for KT and haven't looked at it at all other than to notice is was a core rule set - hope I haven't misled anyone  :(

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #8882 on: September 21, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »
Is anyone other than myself bothered by the brightly colored plastic that various GW figure kits are being shipped in? Things of Khorne in USA firetruck Red Blood Red, Ultramarines In Blue...[?]...

I got a tiny box of SCE Somethingorothers and discovered they were cast in a bronzey gold brown.  I got the box for the hound creature.

I really dig Gryphhounds.

So I have a gold hound. ::)   And a gold base to stick him on.  :(   Too bad I like black-edged bases.
Pendrake

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #8883 on: September 21, 2018, 05:43:34 AM »
Well, here's your time to start painting them. :D Or at least prime them.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #8884 on: September 21, 2018, 07:59:18 AM »
Well, here's your time to start painting them. :D Or at least prime them.
Sometimes it is a plus. They chose Purple for a big-purple-ball-of-death spell, FREX. The Gold is OK for stormcast Sigmarines (If you want to go with the canon color scheme) but can be a minus for someone that wanted to do something different.

Other color choices of theirs...  ;D  :o  ???  o_o  :-[ ...<— inspire a gamut of dissapointed reactions. 

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #8885 on: September 21, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
Are those colours for plug & play starter sets only or is everything to be released now in bright coloured plastic?
Leadhead

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #8886 on: September 21, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
Sometimes it is a plus. They chose Purple for a big-purple-ball-of-death spell, FREX. The Gold is OK for stormcast Sigmarines (If you want to go with the canon color scheme) but can be a minus for someone that wanted to do something different.

Other color choices of theirs...  ;D  :o  ???  o_o  :-[ ...<— inspire a gamut of dissapointed reactions.

I'm really confused, are you just not painting your minis? I mean if that's the case how is solid grey for everything any better?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8887 on: September 21, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
Are those colours for plug & play starter sets only or is everything to be released now in bright coloured plastic?

The colour plastic is just for the starter sets and easy build kits...everything else is grey plastic.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8888 on: September 21, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
+Every Shadespire warband is colored plastic.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8889 on: September 21, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
Shadespire is a boardgame though, so it is totally understandable as to why they went with colours for that, not everyone will be wanting to paint them.

Personally, I don't see the issue. Unless the issue is about making the games more accessable to people who perhaps aren't as keen on the painting / modeling side of things - or who are perhaps new to it.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8890 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »
Coloured plastic doesn't bother me either. Although I like to use painted minis my son and I just opened up a 40k starter set and he was dead keen on playing. The colours made it easier and look better than playing with grey vs grey. Must paint them though.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8891 on: September 21, 2018, 11:37:39 PM »
I like colored (apart from the bases - its difficult to remove for once colored halo at the bottom of the base) but  red plastic in Rogue trader seamed softer than usual GW

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #8892 on: September 22, 2018, 03:53:21 AM »
I'm really confused, are you just not painting your minis? I mean if that's the case how is solid grey for everything any better?
I have been known to paint a miniature. Or two.

Grey is better because it’s neutral. Having the sprue bright Red is super helpful if the models are Khorne daemons (like being primed already)  but bright Red for humans that are kinda pale faced pasty complexions with lots of black Armor ...the material color fights the primer.

For some things the colors work; others not. (The base of that purple spell needed to be ground brown or black but it was purple.)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8893 on: September 22, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
Didn't mind my Shadespire Skaven (bought for Mordheim) being a dark brown plastic, but I wouldn't be too keen on anything in gold for example, just in case any paint rubs off (edge of bases or cloaks for example). Not a great look.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8894 on: September 22, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
So I have a gold hound. ::)   And a gold base to stick him on.  :(   Too bad I like black-edged bases.

Well, I always prime minis after gluing them to the base... Point of comment: You could just paint the edge black..?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84