Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682860 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8940 on: October 14, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »
Well, I purchased Rogue Trader and Fangs of Ulrich box (because it has the alchomite stacks)... welcome to my 'lead' pile. lol

Might get me some other terrain sets, these are rather nice. Maybe the industrial pipes? Have to dig up my old Necromunda bulkheads too, maybe I can figure out a use for them?

Collecting a Nurgle army seems very easy, they seem very prominent in the recent releases?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8941 on: October 14, 2018, 01:41:53 PM »
Deathguard are bloody good. There are some really nice minis out there for them as well.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8942 on: October 14, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Yeah.. Nurgle is my least favorite chaos power but latest releases are so good that I broke and painted* some models. They are pleasure to work with..

* I wouldn't buy them stand alone but got Dark Imperium starter and small starter for Primaris and poxwalkers so i have them lying aropundand just tempting..:)

We might see some Orks in Orktober. Next Saturday pre order starts  for Speed Freeks game so it will be released at 27th :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:04:57 PM by AWu »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8943 on: October 15, 2018, 04:28:53 AM »
I make good money, but GW are out of my price range now. I don’t know how I could buy them over food...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8944 on: October 15, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »
Yeah, cheap they arent.

Dark Imperium something I have been keeping my eye on. One might get a good deal from some retailer by now... and sell most of the Marines to get some money back, and keeping the filthy ones! :P

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8945 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
Heh.. Marines are beauties though :)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #8946 on: October 15, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »
Reality is, GW have been expensive wargaming wise for 20+ years. If you look at inflation, they're not far off in line with it. According to the Bank of England £10 in 1990 is the equivelent to £22ish of todays money.

Now, they have also moved over to more expensive manufacturing processes due to demand. That aside, I think you'd be hard pushed to find the quality of miniature and printed rulebook for the cost of their starter boxes.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8947 on: October 16, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
Starters are tasty...
And lets not forget that they started to do bulk offer with reduced price with their Start collecting boxes. They are quite Ok moneywise.

GW ,models are expensive but unless you want large hordes of them or some that are ridiculous priced like knights (and even they were sold in starter set deal with large discounts) its not that ban taking into consideration we are playing with expensive toy soldiers :)

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
« Reply #8948 on: October 16, 2018, 08:11:25 PM »
The biggest problem with GW is that I really don't have the time to paint up that many miniatures to an acceptable standard. Kill Team is really good though.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #8949 on: October 17, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »
The problem with GW pricing is the wild inconsistency and gouging. Take Blood Bowl. Appalling release schedule, lack of options for building teams (seriously, work out how to build 16 player squads) and the prices are ludicrous for the FW stuff. It's £20 for 12 plastic goblins, £10 for four plastic goblins and £20 for 3 resin ones. An ogre, of which a human team can only take one, is £12. A troll, of which most goblin teams would take two, is £15. It's transparent and blatant.

The usual daft arguments about splitting orders with friends and converting shouldn't come into it. Fine if you like to do these things but this is GW's game so they should try being more customer friendly.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8950 on: October 17, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
I think we can all agree that GW is the most expensive on the market.

Inflation, shareholders, elephants being harmed - none of these are mundane to the mere fact that GW prices itself at the top of the market.

And that means I’m pretty much priced out.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #8951 on: October 18, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »
Yup, but I always think it's a bit of a non-starter tbh.

It's the same with every industry in the world. There is always a company that prices itself at the top, usually based upon quality of the service and product provided.

For tech, the likes of Apple do it.

It's often a discussion with perceived rising costs of GW, but when I started wargaming in the early 90's, they were more expensive than the majority of comparatives.

GW are also not the only 'gougers' - but some of the stuff is expected, the prices for things that will sell less, especially in plastic, will be more. Even if there is similar amounts of material involved. There are definitely cases of it being more obvious though, but like I say, it's not just GW.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8952 on: October 18, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
Honestly Im not sure whether they are expensive, or that other companies are just cheap.

My dad started getting GW stock at his shop, interestingly he says the stuff that sells the most is Necromunda and Shadespire kit (though he wonders if it's because the local GW doesn't stock it as much).

He sells the models etc for 10% less than GW, and as an old employee of the shop I still get discount which makes the sets VERY reasonable. So I stocked up on a few things and I'll be honest it's taking me FOREVER to get some of these models to a reasonable gaming standard!!!

I still like the background though and really like a lot of the audio dramas etc, although some of it can get a little confused.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8953 on: October 18, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
Well, only thing I buy full price are exclusives to the shops or impulse buy paints when I am at mall GW shop is and I have time when wife is buying some wifey stuff.
All I am getting is at -25% and I am picky and try to find some stuff even cheaper if possible (There was extra promotion for Dark Imperium starter set for example and I bought mine at -35%)

It might be due to there being only one GW shop in Poland but we have large market on discounted GW products.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #8954 on: October 18, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
Its toy soldiers, not oxygen.You don't need them. You don't have to pay the prices.
If it's too expensive for you, don't buy.
That's how luxury goods work.

Current GW business performance indicates they're not too expensive for an awful lot of people.