Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683320 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8955 on: October 18, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »
Its toy soldiers, ITS LIKE oxygen.

I corrected your obvious type  lol

On the serious point: I agree

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8956 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »
It is all true, we make choices. I like bikes, and I’m sure my bike collection would cause heart attacks at the prices I’ve paid for some of my builds.

I guess that’s where my old GW money went  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #8957 on: October 18, 2018, 08:36:32 PM »
If it's too expensive for you, don't buy.
That's how luxury goods work.

So very true. I like chopping up GW miniatures for my own imaginary corners of the 40k setting, and I also like Magic the Gathering - but I realised ages ago that you can't serve those two masters at once.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8958 on: October 18, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
Agree.. I am trying to sell my Karn lately to fund new Middle Earth.. I was shocked how it is worth now  :P

• Scientist
« Reply #8959 on: October 18, 2018, 09:23:31 PM »
You are definitely right, selling MtG to fund wargaming is the way to go. Only problem is you have to make a clean break, because you'll never be able to afford those cards again.  :-[ I haven't managed to part with things like Ancestral or Vault for that reason.

On topic: one's perception of how expensive luxury goods are depends on the comparison as TWD and others said earlier...  I always assumed Forgeworld only exists to make GW look cheap and reasonable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:25:06 PM by Belligerentparrot »

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8960 on: October 19, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
You are definitely right, selling MtG to fund wargaming is the way to go.

Can't agree with that - mtg is an investable and easily traded stock which on average has only made gains on gains.

If you pay attention to the market (at a couple of well known sites) it pays for itself. The downside of course is that does require your active awareness and that's a time sink, but I can testify one can do both.

• Scientist
« Reply #8961 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »
Oh sorry, I just wasn't clear enough! I completely agree (at least as long as the Reserved List is maintained).

All I meant was that it is too expensive (for me anyway) to pursue both, and that you'll get a lot more miniatures from selling your cards than you will cards from selling your miniatures.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8962 on: October 19, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
For my MTG was social activity. I sold most of my cards around 2000. But I am returning from time to time when friends will lure me with some kind of limited format.
I keep some decks to play with my wife from time to time but I like best for this purpose pre constructed duel decks.

My last worth something cards are from drafting. They normally sit idly in the box and are worthless but when I learned that that bugger went from 15 $ card to 80$ card I had to react :P

I treat both as a hobby not investment and miniatures just give me much more fun  lol

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8963 on: October 19, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
All I meant was that it is too expensive (for me anyway) to pursue both, and that you'll get a lot more miniatures from selling your cards than you will cards from selling your miniatures.

True enough. Money spent on miniatures is essentially lost - can't think of anything except a few ancient rarities that appreciates - whereas money spent on cards generally averages out by product and appreciates by singles. And you're quite right - by the same token buying back into minis can be done incrementally and for a low initial outlay whereas buying back in to cards means loans of some sort.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8964 on: October 19, 2018, 07:35:45 PM »
Metal GW figures seem to sell quite well from what I've seen - easy to strip and certainly quite sought after. Mordheim and Dogs of War ranges defintely do well. Recently sold some figures from the Storm of Chaos era (Slayer Doomseekers, Malakai Makaison's Goblin Hewer) for 2-3 times I thought they'd go for. On the flipside, that also means I'll probably never expand my own small Dogs of War/Regiments of Renown collection, as the prices those go for on ebay are mad enough to make GW's most excessive retail prices look reasonable. Wonder if any of those will see the light again as Made to Order sets - that would result in an impulse buy that'd leave my bank account traumatised.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8965 on: October 19, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »
CCG's are a different beast though. You build decks specifically so often you are hunting certain types of cards which means you might get valuable cards that are no use to you.

You know what you are getting with miniatures, typically the things that make money are limited edition or OOP. With the limited editions you have some idea that their value will increase, although not all, some lose desirability. OOP - you can't really guess it, it just depends, and even then, nothing is guaranteed. Some mini's don't seem to gain much in value over time as much as others.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

• Scientist
« Reply #8966 on: October 20, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
Wonder if any of those will see the light again as Made to Order sets - that would result in an impulse buy that'd leave my bank account traumatised.

I for one am *really* looking forward to the day that GW starts expanding the not-giants-in-shiny-gold-armour human factions in AoS. Updated plastic kits of various olde worlde normal-sized humans, like the dogs of war, would be amazing.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8967 on: October 20, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8968 on: October 20, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
CCG's are a different beast though. You build decks specifically so often you are hunting certain types of cards which means you might get valuable cards that are no use to you.

That's not at all how it works, because a). trading and selling is a thing (cf. cardmarket.com) is a thing, b). you're either buying the singles you need or you're buying high volumes and looking to trade out anyway - the only ones getting random stuff they can't use are younger players without the finance, local player group, or access to internet. That's a group that exists but is pretty small.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8969 on: October 20, 2018, 06:07:25 PM »
Speedfreaks is up for pre order for £90 - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40000-Speed-Freeks-2018-eng
ANOTHER £90 set...is that the only number GW knows?