Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683041 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9075 on: November 08, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
So more like an 'Elf on a Shelf'?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9076 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
Dunno who that Girl is but GW is upping their latest marketing achievements teaming up beloved Duncan and his sidekick Peachy with some local celebrity hot chick, that actually is explaining the rules of the game better than original GW staff :P

https://warhammer40000.com/blackstone-fortress/

Here : How to play.
And this is quite informative if quite long movie based on programs of such boardgaming celebrities like Will Wheaton and Felicia Day.

Intresting turn of event but marketingvise - good step. Broadening the base. (There are 2 female player characters in the box)

And then.. This happened..
GW is killing in targeted marketing this autumn :O

Everybody is hating our 40k Kiddie books.. How to change that attitude
Duncan Rhodes ? - nah he is overdone lately

Wait I have an Idea..

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/07/warhammer-adventures-the-audiobooks/?fbclid=IwAR3O0KWFN4LKIedEESkkFVS8jWVO9wBoOgwNrUG_AM2PlfuH_Dw67O2-1Sc

PS: They should make 40k movie with them :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:11:00 PM by AWu »

Offline Reboot Guillotine

• Assistant
« Reply #9077 on: November 08, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
There is another feature to the Primaris space marines other than size and that is their simplicity. Although I quite like a lot of the other Space Marines (I have a lot of them) they're very busy models.

Absolutely.  In the olden (RT/2nd Ed) days I wished the marines were bedecked with gothic details.  Then over time it happened and, as you say, it just got too busy instead of a rugged soldier aesthetic.  The Primaris marines certainly solve that (for me, at least) with their simpler, more contemporary military vibe.

It took me a while to warm up to the MkX armor, but I rather like the basic Primaris marine (i.e. "Intercessor").  The proportions are killer, the bigger bolter is great.  The other newbies ("Inceptors" and "Aggressors") are more of a mixed bag for me.  But the basic dudes and all the options they bring (conversion-wise) are pretty good.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9078 on: November 09, 2018, 12:25:24 AM »
Dunno who that Girl is
Becca Scott. From Geek and Sundry.
Quite a big name from quite a big site/youtube group.
Almost 2,000,000 subscribers.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #9079 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:24 AM »
Becca Scott is indeed pretyt well known. While nice to look at, the way she explains games is not really clicking with me. She did also do the how to play for Age of Sigmar when the 2nd edition came out.

This time it really looked like she has no clue what she is talking about and uses a teleprompter. Onces I had that feeling, the way she stares and sometimes even moves her head forward is if to better see the text, started to annoy me. I didn't even get further than 1m25s  lol
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9080 on: November 09, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
Now they made it much better.

What annoys me is the way they chatter around.  (I dont watch such programs from exact this reason - if she being totally unknown to me was not a clue )
But I guess I am just not the target - judging from my attempts at such programs as they are prevalent in them.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #9081 on: November 09, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
This time it really looked like she has no clue what she is talking about and uses a teleprompter. Onces I had that feeling, the way she stares and sometimes even moves her head forward is if to better see the text, started to annoy me. I didn't even get further than 1m25s  lol

I dunno, but a tightly scripted, edited, tele-prompted how to play video seems like the best way of doing things if you want to get the rules across quickly and clearly. The unscripted asides by the GW staff aren't in her usual videos.

And later in the video, when they're playing the game, it's clear she knows the rules as she guides the rest of the players though the game.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9082 on: November 09, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
More silly is how Duncan and that other guy pretend they do not know the rules :P
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:37:13 PM by AWu »

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9083 on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »
More silly is how Duncan and that other guys pretend they do not know the rules :P
Yeah. Why do they need to pretend?
They work for GW. We know they don't know the rules anyway.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #9084 on: November 10, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
So, wait...

Sisters of Battle draw tits on their armour and Guardsmen have massive knackers?  :o

I know I do...

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9085 on: November 10, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
The style of the Blackstone Fortress video didn't much work for me either.
I mean, I ended up watching all 99 minutes of it as I was interested in finding out how the game played, and differed from e.g. Silver Tower, but it simply was too fake, even more so in contrast with the actually spontaneous comments provided by players at times. The scripted sections would work alright for a short "how to play" video setting out the rules and things, but this was like the pictures they always had in rulebooks, of people with broad smiles standing around a gaming table looking about as unnaturural as possible. Four people actually having fun while playing the game (such as when they played through Silver Tower on the Twitch channel) is a much better advertisement than this, which half the time looks and sounds like the full-on commercial that it also is. As it went on, even the various camera angles they had started to feel wrong; just too clean and produced.

A David Tennant audiobook by the way? No interest in the story, but there's a voice I'd happily listen to for hours upon end.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9086 on: November 10, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
The pre-order is up - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Quest-Blackstone-Fortress-2018-eng

I am tempted by the figures, if not the game so much, and 44 figures for £95 (presumably less from Wayland etc) is reasonable value.

I would like a bit more variety in the poses, and I suspect it's their standard kit approach, where converting is possible but verging on the masochistic.

I'll wait until I see some sprues before deciding, but I'm definitely leaning towards "buy" at the moment o_o

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #9087 on: November 10, 2018, 04:48:49 PM »
The set retails for £76 at Element Games, should you be interested feel free to use my TIM940 code for double loyalty points at the checkout. Although very tempting I will pass as I have enough miniatures already!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #9088 on: November 10, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
I will pass as I have enough miniatures already!

Error. Does not compute.  ;)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9089 on: November 10, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »

Be like Smaug..