Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682701 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9180 on: December 06, 2018, 07:22:12 AM »
On that topic, my next kickstarter for STL files is now up and running  lol
Yeah, it is hard to get an idea of detail levels with 3d modelling until you print out the prototypes. Being able to enlarge it so it is 50x the size lets your do that. But they should be able to print it off and think "Hmmm... sometimes less is more" (Hopefully not, less spikes means more skullz)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9181 on: December 06, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
I don't agree with 3D printing meaning more detail.

Mainly because it ignores several factors. First of all, the more detail there is the more you have to consider things like moulding issues. This still applies to plastic miniatures as you have to pull them out of the mould and in theory, any problems are much more expensive to put right.

Then, when you consider the 'oldhammer' era, anything up until the mid 90's, miniatures tended to be stuffed with detail. Some sculptors still do it. Barely a space on a belt as you would find knives, grenades, pouches and ammo pouches etc. The older minis could definitely be just as busy.

The example given here is a Chaos hero/leader model. It is going to be chockablok with detail because that is typically, how fantasy and sci fi minis tend to be to stand out more.

IMHO, you are more likely to find detail on hand sculpted mini's where they are covering up things they are not so good, mistakes or in some cases to aid casting - if there is an area that would be an issue but a conveniently placed coin pouch removes that issue . . .

It's horses for courses and simply down to the sculptors artistic direction etc.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9182 on: December 06, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
Mainly because it ignores several factors. First of all, the more detail there is the more you have to consider things like moulding issues. This still applies to plastic miniatures as you have to pull them out of the mould and in theory, any problems are much more expensive to put right.

A lot of this can be tested in software before the model even makes it to a moulding stage

Then, when you consider the 'oldhammer' era, anything up until the mid 90's, miniatures tended to be stuffed with detail. Some sculptors still do it. Barely a space on a belt as you would find knives, grenades, pouches and ammo pouches etc. The older minis could definitely be just as busy.

I don't really agree with this. Compare the Ad Mech Ranger plastics to the old Imperial Guard plastics for instance.

Offline Reboot Guillotine

• Assistant
« Reply #9183 on: December 06, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »
Also Jes Goodwin's original 2nd Ed era marines were clean as a whistle.  The Ultramarine and Angels of Death codices saw those designs tastefully detailed up a bit (2nd Ed librarians, apothecaries, etc.) but it was the mid-2000s I think when the marines really started to get festooned with stuff.  But then again, appropriate levels of detail vs overly busy are in the eye of the beholder.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9184 on: December 06, 2018, 07:08:46 PM »

Nah, I don't really agree with this bit either. I think the fussy mega-detail probably began around this time - in ye olde days we called it 'Chaos Spiky Bitz', which it seems was the forerunner to 'moar skullz' - but by comparison I remember the early 90's and 80's sculpts as being relatively free of superfluous frippery. It's one reason why I love the Oldhammer stuff of this time. 

EDIT: On the subject of 'Chaos Spiky Bitz', to my hazy recollection, the over-fussy decoration did seem to start on the Chaos stuff first, and then spread like a runny poo in the swimming pool to the rest of the ranges.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:20:59 AM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9185 on: December 08, 2018, 07:42:03 AM »
Yes, it was quite some time after that you could no longer use many Bretonnian and Empire figures as 'historicals'. Even a couple of the Dogs of War 'regiments' worked.

Then they let themselves go, got big and sprouted skullz. It was hard to keep the romance going for me and we grew apart.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #9186 on: December 08, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
I don't really agree with this. Compare the Ad Mech Ranger plastics to the old Imperial Guard plastics for instance.

Examples go both ways though. The early 90s Confrontation gangers have much more fiddly detail on them than any generation of Necromunda minis, including the current generation.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9187 on: December 08, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Also Jes Goodwin's original 2nd Ed era marines were clean as a whistle.  The Ultramarine and Angels of Death codices saw those designs tastefully detailed up a bit (2nd Ed librarians, apothecaries, etc.) but it was the mid-2000s I think when the marines really started to get festooned with stuff.  But then again, appropriate levels of detail vs overly busy are in the eye of the beholder.

One of the things I liked about the new Primaris miniatures is that they are pretty 'plain'.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9188 on: December 08, 2018, 05:43:39 PM »
Plenty of rose tinted views going on here.

There are plenty of rogue trader minis etc that are festooned with pouches on every available space on their belt. Early space marines can fall foul of this too.

Space Wolves have always had tons of detail.

I'm not saying it's bad either. Personally if I like a mini, I like a mini - the amount of added detail etc can not suit some miniatures but suit others.

I just think it's one of those 'moans' that occurs a fair bit, like GW being too expensive - that tends to suggest that their mini's haven't been like that before. Bob Olley and Kev Adams are both known for throwing gubbins and details on their minis.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9189 on: December 08, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
Plenty of rose tinted views going on here.

There are plenty of rogue trader minis etc that are festooned with pouches on every available space on their belt. Early space marines can fall foul of this too.

Space Wolves have always had tons of detail.

I'm not saying it's bad either. Personally if I like a mini, I like a mini - the amount of added detail etc can not suit some miniatures but suit others.

I just think it's one of those 'moans' that occurs a fair bit, like GW being too expensive - that tends to suggest that their mini's haven't been like that before. Bob Olley and Kev Adams are both known for throwing gubbins and details on their minis.

Indeed. I've got a RT-era alien mercenary type on my painting table which is so busy that I started painting him and then stripped the figure multiple times since no colour scheme seems to work properly.

More pouches than a Liefeld character.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9190 on: December 08, 2018, 07:01:44 PM »
Aye plenty of Oldhammer miniatures that are festooned with random bits and overyly busy.

Bob Olley's Iron Claw ranges or Bob Naismiths Dark Elves are all good examples of this  and are bloody busy and can be a  real pain to paint.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9191 on: December 08, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
Ah, in my defence I didn't collect those ranges.

And Bob Olley's 'Iron Claw' range wasn't a Citadel range. It was produced by Citadel but wasn't released under their name.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9192 on: December 08, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
Ah, in my defence I didn't collect those ranges.

And Bob Olley's 'Iron Claw' range wasn't a Citadel range. It was produced by Citadel but wasn't released under their name.

Hehe nitpicking at it's best there ;) but as you mentioned they were manufactured and distributed by Citadel and when Mr Olley left many of these ranges were assimilated into the main Citadel lists though.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9193 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:38 PM »
I shall pick at the nit sir, I shall indeed pick.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9194 on: December 09, 2018, 12:37:14 AM »
I shall pick at the nit sir, I shall indeed pick.
If you do that, it'll never get better. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.