Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683180 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9870 on: June 14, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
He is an artist that went into the miniatures.
Not the other way around :)

As a kid I preferred clean heroics of Mark Gibbons to JB disturbing artwork but now I remember mostly JB art  lol
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:09:16 PM by AWu »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9871 on: June 15, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »
Picked up a batch of the contrast paints today. My son and I are trying them out - very favourable impressions so far. I sprayed a whole batch of them earlier, but here are a couple of light-undercoated models I had lying around. The troll's had a dab of Plaguebearer Green and the demon has had Snakebite Leather on the body, Skeleton Horde on the head and Blood Angel Red on the horns.

I reckon these are going to be a godsend for getting RPG encounters ready for the table!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9872 on: June 16, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
Nice work - I realise it complements your ‘preshade and glaze’ painting style really nicely, it’s sort of the ‘hobgoblin method’ in a pot!

I’m going to go and get some today - I’ve cleaned and prepped some 15s as a test and I’m also keen to try it on some realistic models plus some 6mm I’ve got in the printer at mo. Seems like quite a cool tool. That brown is really good - I saw some great results on fur, which I hate painting with my layering style.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9873 on: June 16, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
Picked up a batch of the contrast paints today. My son and I are trying them out - very favourable impressions so far. I sprayed a whole batch of them earlier, but here are a couple of light-undercoated models I had lying around. The troll's had a dab of Plaguebearer Green and the demon has had Snakebite Leather on the body, Skeleton Horde on the head and Blood Angel Red on the horns.

I reckon these are going to be a godsend for getting RPG encounters ready for the table!
So did you use the GW spray they say you need or just a regular other brand spray? looks good.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9874 on: June 16, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
I got a couple of contrast paints yesterday. Had a bash at a couple of skeletons I'd had lying around for a while. Painted (almost) entirely with contrast paints (apart from the metal) the whole thing took me about half an hour to do the lot.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #9875 on: June 16, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »
So these new GW paints are what, thick inks? Thinned paint with a high viscosity?

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9876 on: June 16, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »
Those skeletons look great!

Jagannath - I think these are going to be revolutionary for 15mm. The very bright colours among the range are going to be perfect for the 'overstated' look that works so well at that scale. My 15mm-HotT-on-28mm-bases project is looking like a very quick 'win' now. And then there's 10mm ...

The duller colours are good too. Snakebite Leather and Skeleton Horde are my favourites so far.

Beefcake - those first two figures were sprayed with Corax White, washed in Ajax Earthshade and drybrushed in Vallejo White a long time ago. I've been using the Wraithbone primer, though - it's really good. It's only very slightly off-white, and is possibly actually brighter than Corax White. I tried drybrushing some figures with Vallejo White and not bothering with others. It may make a slight difference, but I'd be keener to drybrush in Vallejo White if the figures had been sprayed with Corax; the white drybrushing creates more of a contrast on the duller Corax White even without preshading.

I've got at least 50 miniatures on the go at the moment after yesterday's spree of undercoating and testing. Here are the first two finished ones. These were dead quick to do, and the outcome is as good as I need it for fleeting RPG encounters. I might give the mushroom man's head a bit of a drybrush and wash to brighten it a bit, but I wouldn't be bothered with him as is.

Dentatus - they're a bit different: like thinner Tamiya Clear paints with a better flow. They don't leave much in the way of tidemarks, so you could paint part of a robe, get interrupted and come back to it without any problem.

Online Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #9877 on: June 16, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
Nice work! I'm getting very excited to try these now, got some arriving tomorrow. Those monsters look pretty great, it's nice to see the effect on some older models, not just GWs brand new plastics with all their fiddly details.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9878 on: June 16, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
So these new GW paints are what, thick inks? Thinned paint with a high viscosity?

I've seen some people speculate that there are 2 types of pigment being used, one main colour and a wash like an extra layer for the colour modulation. No clue if this correct.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9879 on: June 16, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »

They look a bit like thick washes once they are on. But they handle more like paint.

For me they will be handy for eating into my lead moutain, although I will probably only use them on 'rank and file' guys. I'm going to be interested to see who better painters use them.

I only bought a couple as I was curious but I'm so impressed I'm going to order half a dozen more. Oh and AI was painting over Vallejo polyurethane primer, not the ones GW have made. Seems to work fine.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9880 on: June 16, 2019, 10:59:02 PM »
Ummm,I’ve been doing something similar to the contrast paints for awhile (mostly for military modelling),mixing acrylic varnish with Vallejo paints and storing the mixes in empty Tamiya paint jars; for instance I have three jars of German Black Brown of different consistency’s for spraying panel lines on aeroplanes...works a treat,also good for terrain et cetera.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #9881 on: June 17, 2019, 07:15:18 AM »
Matt Medium with pigment added. 

Paint them over a matt coat and it will stain more, paint them over a more satin coat and they'll stain less and 'flow' more and create 'contrast'.
In the 70's people used thinned oils over white for the same effect, in the 80's lots of people would thin their acrylic paints for the same effect, (some of the period WD's have photo's of figures painted this way).
These are just a 'one stop shop' solution.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #9882 on: June 18, 2019, 07:51:06 PM »
No offense but it doesn't look much different than Block Painting + Dip in Wash. What am I missing?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9883 on: June 18, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
No offense but it doesn't look much different than Block Painting + Dip in Wash. What am I missing?

I think you skip the 'block' step; just prime and paint on the contrast paint.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9884 on: June 18, 2019, 08:23:02 PM »
Ultramarines Blue is not as it used to be theese days :P