Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683031 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10095 on: July 22, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »
I love them, being less sexualized do them a lot. Previous models were more slaaneshy kinky than repenty :P

Warcry review - quite extensive. To be honest it paints full picture of the game
https://youtu.be/SFm1q-m4HeM

They did battle reports too.
Its looks to be very fun and surprisingly deep little skirmish.
But campaign are not the deep or level of Munda or Heimm its totally different game and takeo n campaign is narrative not rpg progression styled but from what I see it delivers as a game.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10096 on: July 23, 2019, 02:59:33 AM »
Base sizes differentiate unit types in Warcry.
As for the model limits, they just want/force you to use multiples of a box. 1 in 8 minis represents a Thrallmaster, 1 in 8 a Luminate, 6 out of 8 "others".
Do you have the rulebook? Are these mandatory base sizes? I missed mention of 28mm bases, though I cannot differentiate the 3mm difference in the photo. It's not like Citadel's past foray into 17mm round bases or 20mm ones in WotC's Chainmail. I can think of better ways of noting differences between model types than using another base size - didn't need it in Mordheim. Does the Luminate and 3 Mirrorblades or 3 Mindbound end up on the 28s?

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10097 on: July 23, 2019, 03:05:53 AM »
Thrallmaster is a character ( don't know his background ) but characters in many rules systems come on a larger base. In AoS, Chaos Marauders ( Bloodreavers they're now called? ) come on 25mm whilst Chaos Warriors ( no idea what they're called these days ) on 32mm. I don't see that as strange. Might look even better  ;). Fun thing is, I see they use next to 25mm bases also 28mm bases in this gang.
The battle scroll I read that out of every 8 models 1 must be a Thrallmaster and 1 must be a Luminate. So that leaves you with 6 other warriors per box of 8. You want 2 boxes? Then you have 2 Thrallmasters, 2 Luminates and 14 other warriors. And so on...
Chaos Marauders with marks still exist and Bloodreavers are a type of Khorne themed Marauder on 32mm bases, but I prefer 'em on 25s, as they're not Chaos Warriors. The battle scroll is another example of AoS verboseness...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10098 on: July 23, 2019, 05:25:41 AM »
Guerrilla Miniature Games did an Unboxing & How to Play...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFm1q-m4HeM

As well as a Let's Talk on the game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhW-EcuW3Bs

Not exactly a glowing review.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10099 on: July 23, 2019, 06:43:16 AM »
I love them, being less sexualized do them a lot. Previous models were more slaaneshy kinky than repenty :P

I never saw the older miniatures as kinky, just a bunch of warrior women in scraps of armour, rags and chains....wait...hang on...  :o
Joking aside, I never got a Slaaneshy feel to them, in fact I felt they fit in quite nicely with the grim dark setting.

In regards to the new sculpts, I have mixed feelings. On one hand I like how they kind of resemble the artwork from the Witch Hunters codex, with the piercings in the skin, brands and mouths sewn shut. But on the other hand, they seem a bit to muscular out of armour compared to the 5 new Sisters in armour we have had in the past 3 years.
Also not a fan of the interface plugs, mostly because they have never been mentioned/featured before as far as I know (admittedly my lore knowledge is limited).
Would prefer a more tattered look to them.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10100 on: July 23, 2019, 10:39:29 AM »
I'll wait till I see them in the flesh so to speak.
can't stand these rubbish CAD pics.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10101 on: July 23, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
...not a fan of the interface plugs, mostly because they have never been mentioned/featured before as far as I know (admittedly my lore knowledge is limited).
Agreed... As far as I know, only the Astartes were ever equiped with the black carapace. Sisters and inquisitors were equiped with pressure activated armour, which would always be a fraction of a second slower than the 'true' power armour of space marines...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10102 on: July 23, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
Sometimes I think GW could do with someone who checks over fluff to present a clear standard. For the Abaddon mini the designer was talking in White Dwarf about how he gave the mini a Black Carapace under his armour...but the Black Carapace goes under the skin. GW fluff is all over the place.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10103 on: July 23, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »
I played Warcry

Its quite cool and very tactical game. Scenarios are constructed in a way that you have to play scenario and some bands could be handicapped.

I played Untamed beasts and had to decide which of my models carries a treasure chest. My opponent had to kill him and take the treasure. But I had to nominate a model at the start of 2 nd turn when reinforcements arrived and the scenario had only 3 turns.
So to catch potential campy treasure keeper my opponents would have to plan accordingly and wait. He decided to smash my starting guys and had very small chance to get the treasure guy. Anyway again he went for carnage and killed my leader unnecessarily and I won easily.
Its hard to not want to kill everybody with bunch of bloodthirsty chaos cultists :P

Ive killed his leader and 3 lesser guys and grunt and i lost my beast herder leader and some grunts.
Most definitely MVP was big wildcat thingy with 8 of movement and ability to be forced by beastmaster for and extra attack and survived the game.

Overall great game. I loved it. And preordered a copy.
Just don't expect to play deep campaign with it.
It will be perfect for pick up games though (and probably tournaments and such which interest me less).

Its less time consuming and tough decision game as Underworlds but its much easier to get into and dont need great investment in cards ( you only need your model cards and your faction and shared activated abilities so one box of a miniatures and you are playing the game.

If I understand it correctly there is one building miniatures decision in the starter box. You can built Iron golem standard bearer with an iron gong or Preceptor (?) with huge hammer.
I cant say anything about the terrain as we used pre painted Garden of Morr shop had on hand.

The cards for creating the missions can have big impact or almost non existent. We had a card that asked for drafting another pair of cards and using both from which one was +1 to movement for everyone (meh) but the second one gave the both bands extra die for activation rolls (we rolled 7 dice each turn - and this was huge - my opponent managed to use pair of quadruple results in one turn- that would let him win the scenario most probably but he went for max carnage of Ogre model.)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:15:03 PM by AWu »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10104 on: July 23, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
Nice sculpts, hoping for a plastic priest kit when it all comes out, personally.

Has anyone here tired the underworlds game? Is it fun? I tired asking my friends but all got spooked when I mentioned the card element.

Yeah.

It's an out of the box game in that you just use the minis as is. The CCG bit is meh. It's a bit like loot crating. Certain cards come in certain sets so if you want to get the best cards you buy the sets and try and sell the stuff off that you don't want... As soon as I realised that's how it worked I flogged my set. It's a nice enough game but super tournament aimed. If you like more narrative driven games this isn't it. If you can find relaxed folk to play games against it's ok. But if they have better cards than you it becomes a bit of a difficult game to compete in.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10105 on: July 23, 2019, 10:13:58 PM »
I love the game and bought everything (sans extra colored dice for each faction)

But its quite hard game to pick up and get into to be honest. To take full from it you need to have most of the cards or print proxies.
I have every team released for it and I painted up more I ever played (and I play this game often -just ever with 8 bands out of 16 i have and often with 3-4 - I bought most bands without intent of playing them just for cards)

The minis are great and present nice hobby opportunity. I like to paint my models in small bands (so tend to skirmishes these days) and this is great game with really tough decisions just not too good game for casual players IMHO.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:12:59 AM by AWu »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10106 on: July 23, 2019, 11:29:50 PM »
Yeah. It's a boardgame with CCG elements. I've just seen they ban cards now too. So very much CCG element.

It's not that complex to pick up. It's just not aimed at any form of narrative.

It's nice enough. No complaints on the mini's. Some top mini's amongst the range.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10107 on: July 24, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »
I have been watching some Warcry battle reports of YouTube and their Double, Triple & Quad mechanic (to activate special abilities) puts me very much in mind of SAGA.

It seems that players set up terrain as dictated by cards drawn from a deck. The only problem with this is that the boards seem to be very light on terrain with relatively large areas with no terrain so both of the games I've seen so far ended up being a punch up in the centre. I assume that each new terrain set will include more cards and presumably there is nothing to stop you from adding more.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:14:35 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10108 on: July 24, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »
The punch up in the centre could be a thing but it depends on the deployment cards.
In my game we had smal mele in the center and another melee in the middle side where guy with the treasure was deploying.

I had doubts about the terrain density but the game is constructed in such way and with so few models in mind  it works Ok.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10109 on: July 24, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
Thanks AWu. Do you think the lack of customisation limits the gameplay or could make it repetitive?