Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686446
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682707 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #10620 on: November 15, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
I don't think they'll change the scale etc.

I think it'll more likely be like 30k. Which has been a relative success leading to them doing plastics for them. The only difference being that they have plastics for the old world from the last time out, AND you can use the new stuff too. So the new Chaos warriors on slightly bigger bases for example.

Considering you need less of them in AoS it could be a way of selling larger numbers of new models anyway.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10621 on: November 15, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
Yeah, I agree with McFonz - indeed, they basically say in the article that it'll stand to AoS as the Heresy stands to 40K.

Looks like a good way to keep the older gamers on board to me. Sure, they already have armies, but when has "I already have an army" stopped most of us from buying more?

Would also be very interested (in a theoretical way, at least, not going to buy 'em) to see GW with current capabilities do Bretonnians properly.

If they finally did the Norse as well (I still remember wanting to do a Norse army based on the hints in the white army book that came with one of the early boxed versions of Warhammer), that would be cool!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10622 on: November 15, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »
The less visited nations and races would benefit from attention, but would they get it? Norsca, Cathay, Tilea, Estalia, Kislev, Bretonnia, Hobgoblins, Slann … Albion even! And would GW bother to cater to the aesthetic wishes of the Oldhammer enthusiasts who yearn for subtler sculpting, less OTT nonsense and a focus away from the core armies if they knew each release is likely to appeal to niche collectors? I remain sceptical.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10623 on: November 15, 2019, 06:04:29 PM »
In my head it went more. "Guys... Have we still got those 8th edition moulds? Coz I've just seen what the Muppets are paying for a plastic head on eBay."

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10624 on: November 15, 2019, 06:46:34 PM »
The less visited nations and races would benefit from attention, but would they get it? Norsca, Cathay, Tilea, Estalia, Kislev, Bretonnia, Hobgoblins, Slann … Albion even!

Indeed! But which hobgoblins and which Slann? Like you, I imagine, I fear that proper Aly Morrison-style hobgoblins and Slann braves and cold-one riders are unlikely to materialise ...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10625 on: November 15, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
I wonder if the map they show is any kind of hint of whats to come...though with a 3+ year wait I assume it's little more than an idea and some notes right now.

New minis in the old style would be great to see but I have my doubts.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #10626 on: November 15, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be lovely if they re-released some if the old metal miniatures from the 80s and 90s... cue dreams of Jes Goodwin elves, Kev Adam's gobbos, Perry humans...

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #10627 on: November 15, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
I mean, there are soooo many Kev Adams gobbos out there, and his sculpting has improved over the years as has the mould making etc. I'd just buy the ones that are already out there... Or commission him to do modern takes on the old ones.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #10628 on: November 15, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
In my head it went more. "Guys... Have we still got those 8th edition moulds? Coz I've just seen what the Muppets are paying for a plastic head on eBay."
lol lol lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10629 on: November 15, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
I mean, there are soooo many Kev Adams gobbos out there, and his sculpting has improved over the years as has the mould making etc. I'd just buy the ones that are already out there... Or commission him to do modern takes on the old ones.

I'd quibble slightly with that. I like all of his stuff, and it's consistently tremendous, but I think his very best stuff is some of his earliest. If you look at the first goblins and orcs he did for Citadel, they've got a bit much more of the Perrys' naturalness of posture and animation than some of his later stuff. I also find that the weapons of his mid=80s Citadel orcs, though they're often outrageously shaped and spiky, look a bit more feasible than some more recent ones (where there are a lot more double-headed axes with very thick hafts, for some reason).

That's not to say that he's not still doing great stuff - he absolutely is - but the mix of Perry-style naturalism and outrageous cartoonishness in the orc with the ball and chain and the one on the boar below are hard to beat. (The one on the left is a Trish Morrison orc). And his first range of goblins - the ones mixed in with the Perrys' ones - are probably the best he ever did.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:51:28 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #10630 on: November 15, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
Also think KA did some of his best work in the 80s, also agree he's still great.

Back to new old world:
Perhaps I'm getting carried away with the Heresy comparison, but I too wondered if the map was a clue. I idly wonder if the core of it might be mildly differentiated human factions, led by significantly differentiated heroes.
Heroes and the handful of new factions aside, the Heresy range didn't demand much of GW's sculptors, except for the poor bastards on shoulder pad duty  :)

In any case, if my limited knowledge of the 40k crowd is anything to go by, Oldhammer punters will buy lots of new stuff in the old style. I expect people will go nuts for the redux Blanche chaos amazon - maybe GW are testing demand with that? 

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10631 on: November 15, 2019, 10:12:15 PM »
Indeed! But which hobgoblins and which Slann? Like you, I imagine, I fear that proper Aly Morrison-style hobgoblins and Slann braves and cold-one riders are unlikely to materialise ...

I really liked the idea of Hobgoblins being steppe types, with Mongol or other Asiatic styling - the Oglah Khan wolf riders were well done - but the odd knife-dancing ones with the giant hats were really awful. Lustria in general has been left to whither on the vine as has everything else beyond the rather restrictive Old World map. Remember the punk-haired Amazons? 

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10632 on: November 15, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »
I really liked the idea of Hobgoblins being steppe types, with Mongol or other Asiatic styling - the Oglah Khan wolf riders were well done - but the odd knife-dancing ones with the giant hats were really awful.

Yes. I reckon the Aly Morrison ones were so good that anything that came after couldn't really live up to them. I've hoarded dozens of them, but almost fear to apply the brush!

Lustria in general has been left to whither on the vine as has everything else beyond the rather restrictive Old World map. Remember the punk-haired Amazons?

Oh, yes - they were great! And the two ranges of Perry slann! The first range of Trish Morrison ones were very nice too, but the subsequent range of uniform squatters were a bit bland; I still like them, but they're not as good as the more dynamic range that preceded them.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10633 on: November 15, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »
I like the look of the new gobbo wolf rider wolves (I might mount some old comical goblins on them though)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #10634 on: November 15, 2019, 11:13:41 PM »
This been covered yet?

At least were being treated to another Age of $igmar model, though I don't expect her to go for less than $30...

https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/new-models-incoming.8526/page-97#post-212281

Oooh lovely mini  :-*
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)