Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685051
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1676556 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11145 on: June 05, 2020, 06:43:22 PM »
You charged a gun line with melee troops and expected some other result than "shot to pieces"?

Regardless of lore or background or whatever, that's exactly what I'd expect to see happen in any ruleset if you tried something as brain-dead as charging an unsuppressed gun line with melee troops, so the fact that 40k actually causes that to happen seems like a point in it's favour, not against.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11146 on: June 05, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
In a setting with more swords and spears than guns, where there are numerous units designed purely for melee, it is incomparable to real world charging into un-suppressed gunlines. Ever hear of bug swarms in sci fi?

Besides, if we are going to start praising 40k for adhering to expected real world outcomes, well, that will fall apart quickly. There isn't such a thing as suppression in 40k! The fact is 8th made many melee based armies (many of which were thematic) unviable. Allowing marines to shuffle out of melee and fire pretty much wrecks close combat capabilities and strategies that worked fine in prior editions, and there is nothing wrong with disliking that.

Might also be worth remembering that it's very easy to come across as rude in text form.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11147 on: June 05, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »
Thanks Gibby.

Unqualified responses are the best aren't they!  ;D
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11148 on: June 05, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
Tyranids was one of the armies I kind of almost got close to maybe collecting … back in the day. I really liked the idea of them (too much time watching 'Starship Troopers' and 'Aliens') and the idea of overwhelming defenders with hordes and hordes of nasty beasties really appealed. But then I was reading battle reports and 'official' advice re:tactics and it just didn't seem right that you had to equip them with missile weapons (what the hell is that about?) or sacrifice half your army before contact, then probably get the crap beaten out of you anyway. When all the other side has to do is hunker down in close support and keep the finger on the trigger, where's the fun for anyone?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11149 on: June 05, 2020, 10:37:43 PM »
I've not played in a good long time (except a bit of kill team). I have an old school nid army, mostly all metal 1st iteration of hormagaunts which I think are still the best. Sacrificing half the army doesn't seem like to bad a drawback, you're expecting to lose a lot as you send them in which is part of the fun, are you going to have enough to destroy them when you reach. But if these new rules effectively squash even that then it doesn't seem pointless, its especially bad when you have shooting units that can still easily beat the 'nids in hand to hand like marines vs gaunts nowadays (IIRC). Saying that. I love the big nid usints like the Lictors and Carnifexes. Don't know how they match up but I have an all lictor kill team (which got destroyed in killteam indoor setting.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11150 on: June 06, 2020, 07:39:58 AM »
Well I remember Rhino-rush and other such madness from 3rd edition and earlier lol where the argument was that the game was skewed to-much to melee!

Oh well how the hamster wheel turns. I am not going for V9, didn`t like V8 overmuch once the rules bloat started. Sticking with Rogue Trader for skirmishes and 3rd edition for bigger battles (but only using army lists from the rule book). Adding alternate activation though.

Have fun with your chosen set everyone.

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11151 on: June 07, 2020, 05:12:23 AM »
Well I remember Rhino-rush and other such madness from 3rd edition and earlier lol where the argument was that the game was skewed to-much to melee!

That brings back some bad memories  lol
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11152 on: June 07, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »
That brings back some bad memories  lol

Indeed ;) however, whilst I started playing with Rogue Trader in 88 or 89? I do have a soft spot for 3rd edition as that is probably the version I played the most games with and probably ever will. It`s not a bad set of rules as long as extra cheddar is not added to it. I like the simplicity of it, especially the core rules before the bloat.

Of course everyone has their favourites and least favourites and who am I to argue.

Right I`m off to board my RH1NO, see ya lol

Glen

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11153 on: June 12, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
Ello, quick question but is anyone else having to prove they're human every time they go on a GW website? Something that's started for me yesterday.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11154 on: June 12, 2020, 01:09:25 PM »
It's letting me browse the main site, where is your humanity being questioned  ???

I did have to clear its cookies recently to get it to show me anything at all on the site

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11155 on: June 12, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
Ello, quick question but is anyone else having to prove they're human every time they go on a GW website? Something that's started for me yesterday.

Wasn't there something in 40k along the lines of "Suffer not the alien to live?" Maybe they're training their spam filter on that and it got over-zealous.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11156 on: June 12, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »
It's letting me browse the main site, where is your humanity being questioned  ???

I did have to clear its cookies recently to get it to show me anything at all on the site

The warhammer community site, but I also got it on their main site when I went to check. I've done all the usual things to try and clear it, it'll probably stop now I've asked.  ;D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11157 on: June 12, 2020, 08:30:36 PM »
Wasn't there something in 40k along the lines of "Suffer not the alien to live?" Maybe they're training their spam filter on that and it got over-zealous.

lol lol

I was always under the impression that they would take anyone's money.
Xenos or not....

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #11158 on: June 13, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
lol lol

I was always under the impression that they would take anyone's money.
Xenos or not....
Judging by article I seen this morning you could be right, they have made that much money during lockdown they are going to repay the government back what they have borrowed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 10:07:33 AM by 3 fingers »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #11159 on: June 13, 2020, 10:11:20 AM »

I've been getting it a lot, including on lead adventure forum. But I connect on tablet or phone from China and sometimes through a VPN in Hongkong so I wasn't surprised.

I'm no longer sure what an umbrella really looks like.