Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682696 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
I have middle and older aged adult friends and associates in the local gaming locale who complain constantly about the prices but then buy more figures.

I think:

1) Am I missing something?  I don't think so.  They all have miniatures for other game systems, some filling whole rooms.

2) Are they stupid?  They are very successful in many cases so that is not likely.

3) Are they mentally challenged?  Most don't have issues in that arena (other than maybe politics.)  And those that do actually stay on their meds.

4) Or what?  

I think I can explain by saying that they have played GW games together long before I moved here, they enjoy each others fellowship, and they don't want to risk having that camaraderie being lost by trying new rules or substituting otherwise viable, less expensive miniatures into the mix.  It's the "comfort food" of their gaming in some ways.  As the price of their pleasure goes up they pay it.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong I play 40k and just spent over $250 on the new space marine releases but that deal is over $11000!
If it was a ancient Roman deal or French naps deal I would think the same thing.Its not what you get for the money or how much stuff its just dropping that much at one go.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
I bought 1.. wait.. wait no i didn't.. got confused as its easy to forget about £7k ;)

On a serious note though you have to remember what's expensive to us is ain't what's expensive to others. I have an Uncle-in-law which follows Chelsea FC and England FC around the world that's a more expensive hobby by far.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
These things are definitely relative. I work with a guy who's nuts about Batman. He has original cover art, many, many pages, and everything is signed. Plus the comics, and collectibles. His collection would make most gamers aghast, I think. I know it makes me spin thinking of how much he must spend on it all!

I was very happy to leave Games Workshop behind. The value I get out of historical gaming is exponentially greater - the biggest purchase I've ever made was from Perry. It was their D19 deal, which is no longer available. Similar to this one:
D18 French Army Deal - Mounted Napoleon pack, 16 plastic box sets of French Napoleonic Infantry (672 Infantry), 1 pack of Mounted Colonels, 1 pack of generals, 1 pack of Corps commanders, 3 packs of Line foot artillery. 8 plastic box sets of cuirassiers/carabiniers (112 cavalry) 1 pack of heavy cavalry commanders, the Marshal Ney pack, 3 packs of Line horse artillery. Actual price £457.00 -Deal price £390.00 POST FREE!
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_68&products_id=2544&osCsid=umru2946rvcgckaatps4mq0sc3
Except I got a copy of Black Powder with it, signed by everyone remotely related to the project, even editor Talima Fox. The photos are all signed where they photoshopped the people in  :D For me, this was unbelievable value. How could you do that kind of thing at GW? You can't.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:50 AM »
It occurs to me that there's one possible reason explaining why there's no significant discount on the huge £7000 boxed set: There's the very real risk of a third-party dealer buying a bunch and parting them out. They wouldn't really be able to stop that because it would be a straight up retail purchase, which consumers are legally allowed (in most countries) to dispose of as they see fit.

If true, I would find it hilarious that GW choose to guard against that possibility in such a way.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:04:21 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 02:14:26 AM »
Is there a discount at all on the set?  I don't plan to tally it up to find out.  lol
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:52 AM »
It occurs to me that there's one possible reason explaining why there's no significant discount on the huge £7000 boxed set: There's the very real risk of a third-party dealer buying a bunch and parting them out. They wouldn't really be able to stop that because it would be a straight up retail purchase, which consumers are legally allowed (in most countries) to dispose of as they see fit.

If true, I would find it hilarious that GW choose to guard against that possibility in such a way.

I did that with the old Apocalypse Company box! They were like half price with a discount I got at the local shop. So I smelled a great selling opportunity - and I was right!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:17 AM »
Is there a discount at all on the set?  I don't plan to tally it up to find out.  lol

Apparently it only comes to something like $300 USD (the set's about $12000 USD), which is practically a rounding error. This pales compared to the recent battle boxes where you'd get say infantry and three tanks for the price of the infantry.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:47:20 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 06:40:39 AM »
It occurs to me that there's one possible reason explaining why there's no significant discount on the huge £7000 boxed set: There's the very real risk of a third-party dealer buying a bunch and parting them out.

Of course, but they would still have made the sale. If they are affraid of that procedure, they'll have to avoid discounts per se.

Btw, I was at a local hobby store yesterday, and I noticed that they have far less GW-stuff than on an earlier occation. When I asked, if they are phasing it out, the answer was: 'No, but the Price level means that we do not sell very much, and thus we cannot afford to stock a whole lot.'

This is a store that does not exist on selling games stuff. I wonder what is happening to FLGSs relying much on selling GW-products these days...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
My local store don't deal with GW any more. Can't even shift their stuff on sale because the market where I live is soo small. Still have metal treeman I think.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »
I know someone who runs an online shop and has decided to no longer sell GW stuff as its not worth the hassle/effort any more. When he started, he was more or less 90% GW sales, so its a bit of a change.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
It does seem like the wind has well and truly shifted. There are so many viable alternatives these days - mins and games - that GW's gamble on being able to milk a core faithful is looking shakier and shakier each year.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »
...GW's gamble on being able to milk a core faithful is looking shakier and shakier each year.

I wouldn't say that. Theres plenty of people out there still willing to pay for their marines fix. The GW website crashed through people trying to order the new marine stuff a while back.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
I disagree. What I see is GW's rivals taking a bigger slice of the pie each year and GW being a byword for comedy price rises. They have clever marketeers out there to get a boost in sales every now and then, but they rely purely on the Space Marines right now, whereas they used to be a company with a healthy spread of eggs in several baskets. It's a risky business model and the fact that the big crash hasn't happened yet doesn't mean the risk of it is any less.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
My local store don't deal with GW any more. Can't even shift their stuff on sale because the market where I live is soo small. Still have metal treeman I think.

Lotr ones? How much? :)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.