Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686600
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683219 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
The cult of Khaine deal is £194.

Its components bought separately are £185 (4 x 35 + 1 x 45).

A very special deal for you.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
I am now going to benchmark all hobby prices by how many Witch Elves I could get :D

D 27 Yorkist Host – 5 x Plastic Wars boxes of the Roses Infantry, 1 x plastic box of ‘Mercenaries’(240 infantry), 1 x plastic box of Mounted Men at Arms (12 cavalry),  1 metal pack of mounted command and  2 x metal  packs of artillery - £130 Army Deal. Or 30 plastic Witch Elves. Though you are ten pounds away from having 40 plastic Witch Elves :D

The cult of Khaine deal is £194.

Its components bought separately are £185 (4 x 35 + 1 x 45).

A very special deal for you.

Well, someone has taken the time to put all of those bits together into a convenient one-click experience. That kind of service has got to be worth £9 right? :D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
I'm in my early 40's with a decent job, no kids and no wife.  I have LOTS of cash to spend on my distractions.  That said, I havent bought a GW product in about 10 years, if you dont count things like paint.  But minis?  10 years at least.

I love so many aspects of their sculpts, but the price was a deal breaker for me.  Some folks have pointed out GW as a 'gateway game', and for me that was true.  It got me into tabletop, both with fantasy and Sci Fi.  But now, especially today, there are SO MANY great manufacturers, with MUCH better prices, I'd be crazy to stick with GW.  My money just goes to much further.

I'd rail against finecast, but everything that needs to be said has been already.  And to be honest, I had already walked away from GW by the time finecast appeared.  But had I not, it would have caused me to leave.  Brittle resin does not make a good gaming mini!

Happy gaming Mates!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
I love so many aspects of their sculpts, but the price was a deal breaker for me.  Some folks have pointed out GW as a 'gateway game', and for me that was true. 

Fortunately for us, gates work both ways I guess.

Nice sculpts, plenty of movement (although the hair is very poorly done), although if I'm honest I find the fetishism a bit too adolescent for my taste. But then, I'm probably 25yrs over the target age market.

Let's the pretend the price is real and not just something for us to laugh about, whilst shaking our heads and wiping a tear from our eyes. As gags go, it's a pretty good one.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Agreed!

In fairness, I really like their work under Citadel and Marauder, right before the 'merge' to Games Workshop.  It had a campy character that had its own voice.  My collection of Dark Future in 20mm is huge, I'm crazy about that stuff.  Great faces, hair, poses.  Just a very nice line.

I agree, the new stuff looks the same to me, very fetishy and almost cartoony now.  I like 'cartoony' hinted, as their older stuff was, but now it's quite over the top.  A shame really, all the way around. 

But with lines like Perry, Plastic Soldier, and all the other examples that you guys gave here, GW is no longer a viable option.  Heck, you even get about 20% less paint for the same darn money!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »
It's why I made the (very painful) switch over to Vallejo paints a couple of years ago. I've never had any issue with GW paints - even the price I could live with - but then my Dad bought me a pack of Vallejo paints one Christmas.

I smiled and made the right noises, but quietly left them to gather dust on the shelf. Then one day I needed a drab grey colour that happened to be in the pack and the rest was history.

It took me a while to get used to the shaking needed to mix the Vallejo paints before use and I'm not a fan of the dropper bottle, but I loved the quality of the paint, the subtletly of the shades and was pleasantly surprised to find how cheap they were.

When GW changed their entire paint range - names and shades - it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Familiarity and convenience were the last things tying me to their paints and they cut that cord themselves. I went through a surprisingly painless transition, going to the local Ian Allen Bookshop and looking at their Vallejo rack to learn the colours, and I've never looked back since.

I now buy empty paint pots from SHC http://www.shcweb.co.uk/eshop/ and mix up my own labelled shades using mostly Vallejo, with colour swatches on the front for when I need to top up. It's cheap, convenient and saves me a hell of a lot of time.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
I really can't take the new witch elf poses seriously - they look like they're boogeying on down at some 70s disco o_o

I liked the medusa until I noticed the something dripping off her. No idea what it's meant to be, but spoiled the model for me.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod2250008a

We have now reached £35 for ten plastic figures lol. Unbelievable. How can they maintain this business model?

I'm afraid I didn't see the Witch Elves. Now the 10 spear fellow at $40 seem an absolute bargain! Canadian price: $70. Current exchange is something like 1.6 to mighty £, so double isn't even close. Not that the £ price was anything worth starting out at.

Holy moly.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:37 AM »

When GW changed their entire paint range - names and shades - it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Familiarity and convenience were the last things tying me to their paints and they cut that cord themselves. I went through a surprisingly painless transition, going to the local Ian Allen Bookshop and looking at their Vallejo rack to learn the colours, and I've never looked back since.

I now buy empty paint pots from SHC http://www.shcweb.co.uk/eshop/ and mix up my own labelled shades using mostly Vallejo, with colour swatches on the front for when I need to top up. It's cheap, convenient and saves me a hell of a lot of time.

It's not the first time they changed the whole range, but this time it also really bugs me. I also have the 'familiarity and convenience' issue with the new range, and seriously consider gradually switching to Vallejo. Vallejo is not as easy to find 'round here, though.

SHC is not really an option for me, as their shipping rates start at £18.50  :o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
It's not the first time they changed the whole range, but this time it also really bugs me. I also have the 'familiarity and convenience' issue with the new range, and seriously consider gradually switching to Vallejo. Vallejo is not as easy to find 'round here, though.

SHC is not really an option for me, as their shipping rates start at £18.50  :o

If you can't find another shop that's a bit closer, try Battlefield Berlin (shipping to Denmark is €10).
sanity is for cowards

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »
I use to get mixing pots from Black Hat - they carry the type used by Coat d'Arms and also used by Foundry (and the original Citadel paints).

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2013, 03:01:21 AM »
Nice sculpts, plenty of movement (although the hair is very poorly done)

It's to get back at Roginshirroz and their more-hair-than-anything elves, y'know. (Adjusts tinfoil hat)

I don't mind the new releases. I'll even grudgingly admit that Trish Carden's new hydra is an improvement on the last (horrible) version.* Wouldn't actually buy any of them, though.

*Though if she says she wanted to give it snake heads, it might've helped to look at snakes. That's Trish in a nutshell, I think. For one of GW's long-established creature sculptors, she doesn't seem to have a great grasp on how creatures work.

It took me a while to get used to the shaking needed to mix the Vallejo paints before use and I'm not a fan of the dropper bottle, but I loved the quality of the paint, the subtletly of the shades and was pleasantly surprised to find how cheap they were.

When GW changed their entire paint range - names and shades - it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Familiarity and convenience were the last things tying me to their paints and they cut that cord themselves...

To be honest, the best thing I like about Vallejo is the fact they've got so many different shades in the model color range. I've had plenty of different problems, mostly relating to that bleedin' dropper, including seperation, clogging, grittiness, and cork brown going *pop* in my face.
But I digress. It's thanks to model color, Ral Partha's mini paints and Coat D'arms military ranges that I wasn't entirely tied to GW's old range, and I quite like a lot of the new - price nonwithstanding (though I see others rushing to keep up), and I do miss some of the discontinued colours. E.g. stormvermin grey is a great midtone for scots hodden grey, though for my tastes skavenblight dinge isn't quite brown enough as a shade. :) Charadon granite would've been great for that, and a lot of other things. Tallarn flesh, too. The new skintone 'bases', ratskin flesh and bugmans glow, are fairly astonishing orange and red tones.

I have a few CDA-style pots and dropper bottles from SHC, though somehow I've only used the latter for transferring old GW screw-tops, craft paints etc. I like 'em a lot better than Vallejo droppers! The design is a bit different - the hole in the nozzle is slightly larger, and placed inside the nozzle, at the bottom of a narrow-funnel-shaped channel. Eliminates some of the problem of pigment seperating and clogging the dropper, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:04:05 AM by Vermis »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
Definitely an improvement on the previous hydra! Still wouldn't get it though heads are still funny.

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
I used to buy their Warhammer Empire sculpts (made decent Landsknechts, Gendarmes and Reiters), but the newer sculpts have gotten wilder, bigger, and all-in-all less "realistic" and less useful.  And the price is prohibitive.  There are lots of good sculpts now, for appreciably less money.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »
Most of the colours are pretty useless as they are too colourful, almost comic book in tone etc.

I always get my wife to the inks for me as I hate going in there now  :? lol

I used to buy their Warhammer Empire sculpts (made decent Landsknechts, Gendarmes and Reiters), but the newer sculpts have gotten wilder, bigger, and all-in-all less "realistic" and less useful.  And the price is prohibitive.  There are lots of good sculpts now, for appreciably less money.

Not enough puff and slash which is a shame but there are a few useful bits that can be utilised and the I think the great swords are probably the best but a bit static in their poses.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/