Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683034 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
I can easily afford it I just cant justify it to myself. If all minis were that price I would just give up minis.

Ditto.

thus i may not be representative of the average minis person (or maybe that is what most of us are like after all who knows.)

I dunno. Your post made plenty of sense to me. And, I'd guess, plenty of others who 'contributed' to the drop in sales.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
There are enough folk on this site who were GW buyers, and would still be now, if they had not sacrificed their loyalty to us, in order to attract the temporary and sporadic loyalty of successive waves of teenaged gamers.........
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:42:33 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
I agree with Scurv's rationale on the prices - I can afford the stuff, but feel cheated if I have to pay the price, especially given that so many competitors produce lower cost models. Since 40 K and fantasy are the most-played games here in Malta I followed the trend, and it was fun for several years, but in common with others (I guess) I have a burn out which started some years back. In my case there were 4 factors, besides the price escalation:
1) I used to be active on the Tactical Wargames forum, and loved Epic, my first wargame ever; when support for Epic:Armageddon (the last edition) stopped many there - including myself - were cheesed off, to put it mildly. The forum still thrives, ad produces fan support and brilliant models, but the lack of official support was a blow.
2) the ever-changing rules, and the rapid obsolescence of models. I am slow at completing projects due to my work, and usually by the time I have made some headway in a project the force I am modelling becomes invalid. I remember a pair of dreadnought conversions for my marines, my beloved Legio Fausta, which were both (in spite of having different weapon fits) obsolete a few weeks after completion.
3) White Dwarf. Bought my first copy during our honeymoon (!) and used to love the battle reports and most of everything. I am terrible at remembering names, but I remember the articles promoting large units of cheap points cost models over elite troops at a time when this was done because it made tactical sense, and not to sell more models; and the very funny chap who was not an employee of White Dwarf, but made a regular series of articles on gaming at his club - some of them were hilarious; and good old fat bloke as editor, that was a good run. But when it was dumbed down, with articles actually having less text and more glossies of standard models, and conversions started to disappear....
4) Has a lot to do with (3). I remember a particular article which actually disparaged creativity in converting models, and said something on the lines that there was no original art after Michelangelo, or something like that - the point being that their product is the ideal and should only be assembled and painted, with conversions being futile and undesirable. I was livid when I read it - even my wife remembers my reaction from so many years back, and if I had to pick a particular 'end' to my following of GW, that was it. Over the years I have still bought the occasional model, with the second hand ones outnumbering the new, but my new purchases have dwindled to zero now, which is sad, as I still like some of their models.

Sorry for the long moan....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:13:16 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
There are enough folk on this site who were GW buyers, and would still be now, if they had not sacrificed their loyalty to us, in order to attract the temporary and sporadic loyalty of successive waves of teenaged gamers.........

Exactly. I keep wanting to get back into Warhammer (love the fluff of the Old World) but the prices and Finecast just stop me in my tracks every damn time.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
Exactly. I keep wanting to get back into Warhammer (love the fluff of the Old World) but the prices and Finecast just stop me in my tracks every damn time.

Every time I have a retro-build-an-army moment, the $800 price tag makes me wonder how I ever did it; I have more disposable cash today than ever, and wouldn't blow $800 on an army. It's nuts! I can do a million better things with that kind of money, and still have money left over to put into my hobby in a different company's miniatures. No, I'm afraid GW have crested the hill and are on the slide down now.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
Every time I have a retro-build-an-army moment, the $800 price tag makes me wonder how I ever did it;

I doubt that the army costs were as high in the past as they are now. GW price increases have outstripped inflation for over a decade.

You can see it in the number of people that only have one or two armies. When I was actively playing people had multiple armies and it just isn't economically feasible any more

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:20 PM »
Gotta love 6-beer philosophy.

I must admit, the fact that I gave up Warhammer around the same time I started getting laid seems like a terrible coincidence looking back.

Is it also a coincidence that I became a professional model painter around the same time I got married?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
I doubt that the army costs were as high in the past as they are now. GW price increases have outstripped inflation for over a decade.

You can see it in the number of people that only have one or two armies. When I was actively playing people had multiple armies and it just isn't economically feasible any more

I think we talked about this the other day! You're exactly right: I had LOTS of armies back then. There wasn't even the thought of NOT starting a new army - it was which one, and what bits and stuff I would need. And then I did it! Today, it would just be one. That's all.

Sad? Maybe.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #338 on: January 18, 2014, 02:44:21 AM »
had another thought about all this. Well I had a few but one is printable.

The Nerds (Geeks bite heads off chickens, you are not a geek fella.) have evolved and changed. They are at the top of the social heap now. Instead of being on the fringes of the entertainment culture they are driving it right now. Never has the competition for the nerd dollar been fiercer because what the nerds say is cool is taken up by the heard.

GW has not been included in this boom because its not fitting the new culture.

To expand slightly here is one example. Nerds have girlfriends now because they are seen as a socially desirable mate by the mainstream. I was on the PT the other day and there where was these 2 20 something girls and one of them had just been on a first date with a nerd. Long story short what struck me was she was instantly into the entire nerd culture thing and between her and her buddy had picked up enough from popular culture to already know how to do it. Date girl mentioned the fella had invited her to the aussie version of comicon and the other one says "oh you have to wear an outfit to those." (to which date girl replied yeah I am going as catwoman, which I can assure you she would of pulled off spectacularly)

Now that lucky fella is never going to spend his disposable on GW because its in a way anti girl. Girls have no place in GW land from its background to its aroma. Its unremittingly catering for that uber destructive nihilistic teen stage boys go through. The blowing up frogs segment of life if you will.

With the plethora of entertainment choices available he is going to pick things his girl will want to do too and he is not going to be short on choices.

To take it further would that guy even want to walk into a GW store with his girl. You have a stunner on your arm and you say he I dig games workshop minis lets go and get one. (being realistic with the pricing here  ;) ) You roll into the store and there is death metal thumping and 14 year old boys in their kill kill kill frenzies rolling buckets of dice and yelling blood for the blood god.... and then before she can start processing this there is a red shirt staring at her tits asking if he can help them.

Then she gets a whiff of the prices and its all over anyway cus sure as shit if you are going to waste money like that you are going to do it on her.

Take her comic shopping on the other hand and despite the same death metal there is no kill frenzy kids and the staff wait until she gets to the checkout before copping a sly one. On a more serious note there is also a huge range of product that is utterly accessible and desirable to her.

You have a way with words Scurv  :D

I love that post.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »
whats 6 beer philosophy. I like that word combo but need to know what it means so I can use it myself. (google was no help)

I made it up (my gift to the world). That sort of wonderful logical thinking that only comes around the happily drunk stage, after the debris of everyday thinking has been melted away, but before absolute brain paralysis sets in. It can often be accompanied by emphatic verbalisation (especially when no-one else is there) and a forceful jab of the drinking vessel.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #340 on: January 18, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »

I would hazard a guess something like super dungeon explore or rivet wars or some other 'cute' figure game would be far more popular with the female gaming demographic than 40k. Previous to those it was fantasy figs in general I suspect that had the predominant share of their spending dollar.

I can only speak in regards to my girlfriend in this instance but you are pretty spot on in regards to her.

I got into painting miniatures while I was with her and she got into them after painting a few of my models, she prefers something fantasy based over sci fi by a considerable amount. If we are talking about GW models she would take anything from WHFB over 40k. She does like the slanesh demons though which are technically both, tbh many of the models she likes tend to have some kind of cleavage on show.

You are also right that cutesy models like Super Dungeon Explore appeal to her, then again I quite like them too. Its not that she hates Sci Fi, we have been playing the Gears of War board game together. Its just she much prefers fantasy.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
thats an excellent term. Put it in the urban dictionary.

Done!

She does like the slanesh demons though which are technically both, tbh many of the models she likes tend to have some kind of cleavage on show.

It's odd that a lot of the images considered 'sexist' are actually favoured by the gender apparently being discriminated against.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #342 on: January 18, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
It's odd that a lot of the images considered 'sexist' are actually favoured by the gender apparently being discriminated against.

Showing breasts isn't sexist. All women have them. What the model is posed doing and how it is dressed can be sexist though.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #343 on: January 18, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
To take it further would that guy even want to walk into a GW store with his girl. You have a stunner on your arm and you say he I dig games workshop minis lets go and get one. (being realistic with the pricing here  ;) ) You roll into the store and there is death metal thumping and 14 year old boys in their kill kill kill frenzies rolling buckets of dice and yelling blood for the blood god.... and then before she can start processing this there is a red shirt staring at her tits asking if he can help them.

I took an extremely blonde and buxom girlfriend to the Partizan show about 8-9 years ago.  I think a couple of guys actually exploded...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #344 on: January 18, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
I agree. I think the elmore art in the red book D&D of women is hot but not girly mag style.

She is also fully armoured. Something that a lot of modern fantasy art fails to do.