Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686472
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682801 times)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »
I think I purchases the mines of Moria kit off the back of the mags.

Now I would probably only pick up character models.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #376 on: January 20, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
I don't think GW did that magazine did they?

What was the name of the mag?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
I want to say battlegames/wargames in middle earth or something like that.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
Battle Games in Middle-Earth, wuzzit?

I probably would've got it, and the boxed LotR minis, myself; but I disliked 'Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings' so much, by the time I came round, the Great LotR Price Hike had begun.

Still have a single boxworth of primed rohirrim lying about here somewhere.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #379 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
I would still be collecting LotR/Hobbit minis, if the price tag was not totally beyond what I'm willing to pay for miniatures.

I'm not a hater (allthough I do admit that I find their two main rulesets completely outdated and rather tedious/slow to play), just a disgruntled former customer.

I have a great many Citadel (and Marauder) miniatures, and I do not intend to sell them off, I'm just using them for other rules - and do not buy any new ones (If I buy, I do so second hand).

I think the real problem might be the other way around: Some people can't fathom that other ppl can have something negative to say about GW, as it is still the main focus of their wargaming activities (and/or they have invested so much money/time that they are in total denial of any other ways than the GW way), and it is probably a bit unnerving for them to experience that actuallly so many have opinions not coresponding with their perception of the world.

As has already been pointed out, there's nothing to stop those individuals from discussing rules, army compositions, whatever in the relevant sections of the forum, but don't open this thread expecting praise for a company that has pissed so many ppl off with its business practices..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:29:53 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #380 on: January 20, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
Yes, I bought loads (and still have most) of the LOTR and Battlegames.  Went to buy The Hobbit figures too, but the price stopped me in my tracks and, like a lot of us, walked away from being a purchaser.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #381 on: January 20, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »
I actually went back and read Chris's intro to this thread.My mistake.
I thought everything about GW but pics of figures and AARs was supposed to be on this thread. I didn't realize rules and army list etc could go on the other areas.
Again my mistake.This really is supposed  to be the GW bitch thread ;)
carry on

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »
Bitch Thread?  :o
I'm not sure.

This has more to do with people who used to love GW but are so fed up of GW's awful attitude towards them that they have turned against it, like a spurned lover.  If your attitude to your purchasers is "New Customers only" then the old customers will go elsewhere, this is not a great business model........ and the cracks have been showing for a while.  Stand well back when the dam bursts..... It will be a sad day for the wargames world.  :'(

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #383 on: January 20, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
Stand well back when the dam bursts..... It will be a sad day for the wargames world.  :'(

If it bursts, I'm pretty sure the franchise will be picked up by others. If the current pricing policy is continued, I fear it must happen, eventually. The prices are well beyond anything that would be perceived as the 'equilibrium price', even for a monopoly, as I see it.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
(and/or they have invested so much money/time that they are in total denial of any other ways than the GW way)

The sunk cost fallacy. I've seen it posted, more than once, that "I keep buying GW minis and playing their rules because I've spent too much to stop".

Closely followed by "I keep buying GW minis and playing their rules because I like the fluff".

Again my mistake.This really is supposed  to be the GW bitch thread ;)

Like I say, when you've been pushed away enough to take more of a bird's eye view of GW*, you don't usually see all that much to be positive about.

*As in, broader than the focus I've seen on the fact that hormagaunts in the new tyranid codex cost a whole point less.

I assume it's pretty much like the view of the shareholders right now, though from a different direction. ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:48:05 PM by Vermis »

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
I actually went back and read Chris's intro to this thread.My mistake.
I thought everything about GW but pics of figures and AARs was supposed to be on this thread. I didn't realize rules and army list etc could go on the other areas.
Again my mistake.This really is supposed  to be the GW bitch thread ;)
carry on

Its more a talk about the company as a whole thread rather than an individual models or rules thread.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #386 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »

Closely followed by "I keep buying GW minis and playing their rules because I like the fluff".

Which is perhaps the worst anyone can use as an argument, as the rules, and the way they make ppl play the game, in NO way reflect the fluff.

We have here a squad of centuries old, battle hardened Space Marine veterans in 10.000 year old Terminator armour, the best humanity could ever produce, and... oops, gone....

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
 lol

Some of the rationalisations are... interesting. I've seen some proudly proclaim they pay the full price because it includes 'gaming in a GW store' and dismiss other rulesets because they're 'too abstract' (While pausing in the middle of a fight to tot up arbitrary points that hinge on whether you've got four guys or three guys in the back rank, for example) among others.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:18:37 PM by Vermis »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #388 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
I posted some commentary about the current profit/sales issues at GW on my blog

http://zac.calgarygamers.net/whatever/the-gw-death-spiral

Be interested in any comments people have

Wot, no blog comments enabled? :)

All pretty solid. However, I've already seen the deliberation that if they cut prices they'll just cut revenues and put themselves further in the hole. I'm not sure I entirely agree with it. Sure, cutting prices will affect them badly at this particular point in time, but if I'm reading right, RIM's problem (or the problem Mace is talking about) is market saturation. I don't think market saturation is GW's problem, no sir! They're huge for a wargames business, the biggest fish in the pond; but their biggest problem, to all appearances, is that their prices are driving off disgruntled customers, limiting what remaining customers will or can buy, and keeping potential customers away. Not so much market saturation as decreasing market penetration.

Lack of innovation - as Mace also mentions - is a problem for GW too. And game quality. And treating customers and distributors like ambulatory expendable wallets and despised enemies, respectively. And so on. But number one at the top of the list has got to be the perceived value of the minis and their ever-creeping price tags. I don't know if a drop in prices will bring enough newbies and grognards rushing back in time to steady their sales and revenues; but like we've been saying lately, and as I've seen plenty of people remark elsewhere, the 'GW hating' discussions you see everywhere are full of people who would like to buy GW minis again, if they weren't so much of an apparent rip-off.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:37:12 PM by Vermis »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #389 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:58 PM »
I've actually noticed on trademe, (online auction site in nz) that the amount of second hand GW figures have dropped a huge amount probably by half, that has to be some sign, either that people now can't afford new so a lot more are buying second hand or that people can't afford to get rid of their old dark elves to buy the new ones.