Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683427 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 10, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
$45.00 for a gyrocopter and $50 for 10 plastic dwarves?!!??! 

$55 and $60 respectively in Canada.

If you want you can get a flight of 6 bombers for $330.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod2380279a

No wonder so many 40K players are starting to play Bolt Action

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #571 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
The copters look more elvish to me (although rather squat and with runes) I think it's all the curvy lines etc on it.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #572 on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:35 AM »
$55 and $60 respectively in Canada.

If you want you can get a flight of 6 bombers for $330.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod2380279a

No wonder so many 40K players are starting to play Bolt Action

40K? The gyrocopter is for fantasy.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #573 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »
I'd say that doesn't improve the situation. lol

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #574 on: February 11, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »
I'd say that doesn't improve the situation. lol

seriously lol
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #575 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
40K? The gyrocopter is for fantasy.

Prices in general, not a reaction to odd Dwarf sculpts  :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #576 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/02/40k-unbeatable-list-lvo-winning-army.html

40K?  This story says it all! Was there any point turning up to play him?

40K - The Unbeatable List - The LVO Winning Army

Over 200 participants dueled at the Las Vegas Open - This list defeated all comers going 8-0.  Behold the deadliest list in Warhammer 40,000 as of this last weekend!

First off I would like to congratulate Reece for pulling off the LVO and champion Alex Fennel for pulling off a perfect 8-0 streak with the list.  Look for more detailed coverage of the LVO soon, but just note that Eldar appeared in half of the top 8 armies, with not a Tau to be seen. When you look at this list, remember that it faced other lists just as nasty and loaded for bear.

And here it is: 1750pts of Eldar (and a smidge of Dark Eldar) lethality and objective controlling machine.

It's fast, masters the psychic phase, can project incredible firepower at range (most of which ignores cover), boasts lots of scoring units, and an almost unkillable deathstar.

'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #577 on: February 11, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »
Is there anything finer than the BoLS net list? No; no, there's not. Now, little Timmy just needs to buy that exact army and be able to make all his friends cry! Attaboy, Timmy!

Seriously though, tournaments, net listing, BoLS, and the DickMove were all responsible for the drain of fun in GW based games.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #578 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
It reminds me of Gareth from 'The Office' boasting that he's memorised every 'Top Trumps' card in every pack, so he can win every time.

Would anyone over the (mental) age of 12 really get enjoyment from that sort of thing?

I don't mind points-based stuff, and I guess I'm not even opposed to tournaments as such, it's just the idea that people out there might just pop up and ruin your weekend ... it's why assault should not be a crime if it's against people who are really, really annoying.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #579 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:04 PM »
Seriously though, tournaments, net listing, BoLS, and the DickMove were all responsible for the drain of fun in GW based games.

They can drain the fun from any game. FoW, Dystopian Wars, Epic Armageddon...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #580 on: February 11, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »
It wasnt just the price rises that drove me away from 40k, the 'tournament mentality' in the players at my local club made me give up 40k just as much.

It does depend on the individual, though.
Some years ago I went to the Blood Bowl grand tournament at the suggestion of a friend who really wanted to go.
I had my reservations at the time but thought 'what the hell, give it a go'.
Of my six opponents, only two of them seemed to have the 'tournament mentality' the other four were a good laugh and quite relaxed about things.
The two 'serious' players were really irritating though, and one of them received two 'yellow cards' during the weekend for being a complete twat.....says it all really.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #581 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
Is there anything finer than the BoLS net list? No; no, there's not. Now, little Timmy just needs to buy that exact army and be able to make all his friends cry! Attaboy, Timmy!

Any and all games are ruined by that sort of thing. I never understood why anyone would get any enjoyment out of winning a game that wasn't even close due to the stats and general dickery that exploits loopholes in the rules and such. A small group I was a part of disbanded very quickly when, during a Mordheim game, the one power gamer among us decided to hide his noble Bretonnian Knights in a house and use his Longbowmen who were positioned on an impassible cliff (they started up there so it's ok right?) to shoot my unarmoured Kislevites to death before they could even get half way to the Knights. Very thematic eh? No doubt many a brave Knight would sit and let the peasants take the glory! Needless to say the group disbanded and no Mordheim was played with that guy again.

Another player who I had a 40k game with set the objective up on top of a building with no door - he was the only guy with flyers. Had to talk him out of that one. Every shooting phase was a 10 minute session of him slowly maximising his firepower and basically consulting his spreadsheet army list to do the absolute most damage. Fine for the fact it's a game, but by the end of the battle I felt I'd helped him with tax returns, not recreated an exciting sci fi battle with a memorable narrative or any dramatic moments.

You can see that same mentality creeping into other games as they gain popularity. I'm not going to bother but I'll bet the Bolt Action forum has list discussion and Tournament comp stuff being discussed. The extreme gamification of an actual war really leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well, but I suppose that's another topic.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:47:40 PM by Gibby »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #582 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
It wasnt just the price rises that drove me away from 40k, the 'tournament mentality' in the players at my local club made me give up 40k just as much.

I gave up playing FoW for the longest time for the same reason. Power gamers really can suck the life out of a game.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #583 on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
I'm not going to bother but I'll bet the Bolt Action forum has list discussion and Tournament comp stuff being discussed.

It does. I stopped visiting it for that very reason. People arguing the most gamey, dick-move type of "interpretations" of the rules to try to get a benefit.

Offline Pseudopod

• Student
« Reply #584 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:35 PM »
It reminds me of Gareth from 'The Office' boasting that he's memorised every 'Top Trumps' card in every pack, so he can win every time.

Would anyone over the (mental) age of 12 really get enjoyment from that sort of thing?

Haha, reminds me of playing Magic the Gathering (shudders)..

That whole game is predicated on the tournament mentality, they have sports style coverage and onlookers tut when you make sub-optimal decisions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:27:53 PM by Pseudopod »
The abyss is infinite and thus absurd.