Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686446
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682708 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #585 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
First off I would like to congratulate Reece for pulling off the LVO and champion Alex Fennel for pulling off a perfect 8-0 streak with the list

"...and Rory Calhoun for parking in disabled spaces, and Kevin Jennington for his long-range urinal splashing, and James Flint for his sterling seal-clubbing work..."

o_o o_o o_o

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #586 on: February 11, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
You can see that same mentality creeping into other games as they gain popularity.

I'm starting to develop the mentality of avoiding hyped, flashy new games with an official mini range, especially if said range is very specifically tied to the rules. Other warning signs are a thousand kicksrarter promises (and attendant problems), card-deck mechanics, and illustrations/minis designed to seem like the more overblown superhero-comic/anime styles, if not more so; with or without surfboard swords, suitcase handguns, and chainmail bikinis.

I'm not sure the attitude's entirely justified, but after listening to Malifaux twitch players squawking about 'awesome' the misshapen new minis are and how I should dust off my handful of minis because 'they totally kick ass now' (I don't really know why people try to comfort me with that) it's the one I've got.

I think Zombicide contributes to it in a slightly different way. Guy I know went in on the kickstarter, and the group played a few games when he got his hands on it. It is a pretty good game, and I enjoyed it, but a month or two later the guy sold it on. I'm not entirely sure why, but I have a vague feeling he originally pledged because the game had 'kewl zombies' and 'badass characters' rather than being, y'know, any good; then the novelty wore off.

But, yes, on-topic: the same whole listbuilding, min-maxing, killer-kombo-disguised-as-tactics, playing-the-rules-not-the-game attitude that hangs heavy over the Warhammers (more than with other, more balanced games, I feel) puts me right off.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:36:13 PM by Vermis »

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #587 on: February 12, 2014, 01:46:44 AM »
Here is my all-conquering unbeatable power-gasming list:

HQ : Belgae strongwill with a laspistol and neuro disruptor,

Unbeatable deathstar unit: The Deathstar.

Squad choice: a squad of eldar harlequins all with different weapons cos thats how the miniatures come even tho the army list in the red book says they all have to be the same.

Vehicle choice: A captured Rhino painted in funny colours.

Turn 1 disrupt all their neurons, turn two, witness the firepower of the fully operational deathstar and thats it. Repeat 8 times and claim your prize.

Edit: forgot the key detail - turn 3 finish them off with the laspistol.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:51:37 AM by weismonsters »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #588 on: February 12, 2014, 01:51:27 AM »
On a related note, some youngsters are on Vermis' lawn and he would like them to get off it.  ;)

I don't mind card based systems. I think that they can be an interesting way to add some depth to the game without complicating the rules. Dreadball is a recent game in which they work well.

I think that the general issue is games that are just based on point systems. Any time you have this it eventually rewards the cheese monkeys that can work the system.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #589 on: February 12, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »
At the very least some games attempt to balance their system so min maxing unbeatable lists is less of an option. GW doesn't even pretend to.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #590 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »
You can see that same mentality creeping into other games as they gain popularity. I'm not going to bother but I'll bet the Bolt Action forum has list discussion and Tournament comp stuff being discussed. The extreme gamification of an actual war really leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well, but I suppose that's another topic.

Of course Bolt Action is along the same path! Ex-GW guys. Including Alessio Cavatore... They started with tournaments right away, and the forum became a whole lotta net listing. Forget about history in a historical game - what matters is that a medic can man the halftrack MG42, and without a loaded unit, that halftrack can't shoot.

Did I mention I was a moderator over there until Bolt Action took over, and I sold all my BA stuff recently? It's true.

Anyway, GW tried desperately to get away from tournaments; BOLS embraced them and the popularity of the Leafblower was, I think, the beginning of the dreaded mindless net list. And you could almost hear a million fun souls dying a little bit, every time a net list was posted ...

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »
On a related note, some youngsters are on Vermis' lawn and he would like them to get off it.  ;)

TL;DR: I generally prefer substance over style. ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »
If tournaments are promoted at all, I can't really fault people for using net lists. That's the way of competition.

So I much prefer games with no tournament scene.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »
Two important points:
One: The LVO is considered to be an extreme tournament with every game being a knock-out, so it's not for those that play for a laugh. Thus, the list reflects that specific tourney, and perhaps not the game as a whole (well it does, but that's another discussion).

Two: Since third edition the codices have always been unbalanced, and in some match-ups, very unfair. The community reaction to this was the Composition system. While it differs from country to country, and also it's implication and purpose, it's generally used to balance the weaker codices against the strong ones, and usually ban cheesy lists.

More or less.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #594 on: February 13, 2014, 02:53:38 AM »
I was just browsing the GW site. The Dwarfs are quite nice, and I was wistfully checking them out. As usual, they look awesome until the price is considered. :(

Oh, and I still think the gyrocopter is a big old flying turd.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #595 on: February 13, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »
I was just browsing the GW site. The Dwarfs are quite nice, and I was wistfully checking them out. As usual, they look awesome until the price is considered. :(

Maybe it is the painting but the characters all look a little soft. Not really crisp details at all.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #596 on: February 13, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »
I really don't like the dwarf's I have seen from the new GW releases. Even without the high prices I probably wouldn't want most of them.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #597 on: February 13, 2014, 09:04:58 AM »
I like that the LOTR & Hobbit dwarfs (dwarves?) are actually relatively athletic looking whilst still being stocky, instead of the round tubs with limbs that WH dwarfs (dwarves?) turned into.

The necessity of keeping true to the movie proportions have made the LOTR models much more desirable to me with their realistic sculpting. I accept a little exaggeration most of the time in things like weapons, but when you look at an axe being held in one hand that you know would weigh as much as a steel safe, it's tough to engage with the model.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #598 on: February 13, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
Agreed, it's just too bad their LoTR stuff is SO expensive!  My Otherworld collection was my big splurge this year....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #599 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
 lol ;D lol