Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686553
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683065 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #705 on: March 09, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »
It seems like GW has been influenced by Warzone to me. That vehicle is a straight up non-sequitur for Imperial Guard.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #706 on: March 09, 2014, 07:03:18 AM »
Cool!

A bit like the british WW2 quad thing from the desert war.

The troopers are a bit overarmoured perhaps, but nice throwback to the 2nd ed stormies.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #707 on: March 09, 2014, 07:37:49 AM »
I like the stormtroopers but the car is horrible. It foresee it as being turned into a lot of ork battle wagons.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #708 on: March 09, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
The truck is total guff! It looks like an Ork Truk!! It's a pity they've lost that 'real' army look! On the plus side, for the second time on a big model, there is a SEVERE lack of skulls ( for GW anyway)! Just leave out the radiator grill and your sorted! Troops are ok!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #709 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
DKK 210 for 5 troopers. As if!  ::)
They are nice enough, but there are so many other nice armoured sci-fi models out there.

The vehicle reminds me in shape a bit of the big IG moving fortress (cannot remember its name) from Epic (1st or 2nd Ed.).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #710 on: March 09, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »
It definitely has the snub-nosed look of modern British AFVs and APCs to me, as well as the old WW2 Quad Tractor -

Mastiff

Warthog

Quad

Somehow it does seem to have missed a certain something though. I suspect it could be saved with a half-tidy paintjob. I actually quite like the look of the models (the beret is a nice touch because I loved the old IG Stormtroopers) but as others have said, perhaps a tad too much armour.

Not bad though, I must say.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:11:34 AM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #711 on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »
As a kid I didnt know how big it actually was so I wanted either a quad or a kubelwagon as my first car..lol
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #712 on: March 09, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »
As a kid I didnt know how big it actually was so I wanted either a quad or a kubelwagon as my first car..lol

Hell, it ain't so far removed from a Humvee and if some Hollywood gimps can have one, so should you. As an amsuing (and slightly tragic) anecdote I was with the missus in a little Cornish village once and saw some (presumably) tourist trying to negotiate a narrow winding hill with cars parked down both sides. Eventually he gave up and just ploughed through, scraping down sides and tearing off wing mirrors before merrily growling off into the distance. The funny bit was seeing about a dozen people reach for their phones and take a picture or make a call to the local coppers. I can't imagine it got too far without being pulled over ...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #713 on: March 09, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
Hell, it ain't so far removed from a Humvee and if some Hollywood gimps can have one, so should you. As an amsuing (and slightly tragic) anecdote I was with the missus in a little Cornish village once and saw some (presumably) tourist trying to negotiate a narrow winding hill with cars parked down both sides. Eventually he gave up and just ploughed through, scraping down sides and tearing off wing mirrors before merrily growling off into the distance. The funny bit was seeing about a dozen people reach for their phones and take a picture or make a call to the local coppers. I can't imagine it got too far without being pulled over ...

Start from 00:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_m__x19Xw

Bloody Americans...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #714 on: March 09, 2014, 11:17:29 PM »
I really want to give that tank anti grav engines, all diesel punky and dirty. two pods per track space, make it all kinds of punky and do it up as an inter hive troupe of actors with las guns :D

Maybe take off the back roof and give it a canvas roof with a back stage and sponson stubbers :D
.....okay yeah, i hates it at first but no i want it with the stortroopers to make my dream of Blanche style punk actors come true.

(may even pick up a kinight and call it "the fat lady" so i can make it sing and end the battle.)

sorry...i got lost in my head.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #715 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »
Did the driver look like Kevin Klein?  ;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #716 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:02 AM »
Did the driver look like Kevin Klein?  ;)

Tricky to tell though the back window of a Humvee.

I think I can see what GW were trying to do with the vehicle (light tank? apc?) but it seems a little off target. Seems too high for me and the two banks of tracks on each side look like a gimmick. Stick some big-ass wheels or a single track on each side and it could be a goer.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #717 on: March 10, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
Yet another in a long line of disappointing vehicle releases. Not sure who is doing their plastic vehicle kits but they have been pretty lacklustre lately.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #718 on: March 10, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »
Yet another in a long line of disappointing vehicle releases. Not sure who is doing their plastic vehicle kits but they have been pretty lacklustre lately.

I have to agree.
The sense of believabilty is disappear further over the horizon with each release.
They appear more toy-like as time goes on, what with this thing and the Dwarf Gyro-thingy looking like new releases from Mattel.....

I think the whole image of the 40k universe has been going in a strange direction over the last few years.
I fear for where it will end up, as I used to see a use for their kits (conversions, of course) but not their latest offerings.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:28:47 PM by Mason »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #719 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
I have to agree.
The sense of believabilty is disappear further over the horizon with each release.
They appear more toy-like as time goes on, what with this thing and the Dwarh Gyrothingy looking like new releases from Mattel.....

I think the whole image of the 40k universe has been going in a strange direction over the last few years.
I fear for where it will end up, as I used to see a use for their kits (conversions, of course) but not their latest offerings.

To be honest, I had to look a few tomes to make such it was a GW release and not Mattel.  It looks like cheap soft plastic crap.