Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682745 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 12, 2014, 03:01:26 AM »
Man those Ogryns is ugly.  lol

Its a series of figures that haven't had a decent model since Bob Olley.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #736 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:03 AM »

Agreed, just awful.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #737 on: March 12, 2014, 04:08:39 AM »

Also agreed. I'm feeling really sore right now 'cos I just lost a Bob Olley Ogryn on ebay by 40p.  :( :'(

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #738 on: March 12, 2014, 04:18:08 AM »
Man those Ogryns is ugly.  lol
Sure I saw the top one in The Goonies.
Heyyy yooouuu guuuuuuuys!
The one that looks like Bane with the riot shield looks good to me
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #739 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:23 AM »
I quite like those. But still won't get them.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #740 on: March 12, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
They don't look too bad to me, but I am continually annoyed by the steroid abuse look that GW sticks with. There doesn't seem to be any ... what ... life? to them. I know they're plastic models, but they don't have to look plastic after painting. Maybe I'm nit-picking.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #741 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Not sure that will ring true soon though. My FLGS sells little GW while churning tons of blot action and the various mantic stuff.

Who's buying the mantic and BA stuff - the younger, next generation, of gamers or the older pre existing ones?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #742 on: March 12, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
The one that looks like Bane with the riot shield looks good to me

Me too. But I think it's because he's mostly covered up. Like a big paper bag over his head and everything else, made of tank parts.
Also, what Cubs said. I look at these and my second thought (after 'man they uglee') is 'someone could clean up, sculpting and selling good versions.'

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #743 on: March 12, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
I like the paint job on the guys with shields (they have made a good choice not to paint the legs as trousers)  but as Cubs says it still looks 'plastic'. GW newer stuff looks like the sculptor charges extra to do curves!!. Is Sci Fi combat possible in ultra tight trousers? Some nice bits, but overall they look a bit 'He-Man' really.

I have just had a thought, maybe they are designing their figures on an 'Etch a sketch', that is why there aren't many curves...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:40:15 PM by westwaller »

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #744 on: March 12, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
I think those ogryns look better than the previous plastic ogryns, I somewhat like the sculpts.  But they lack the character of older miniatures.  They do seem more in line with current GW sculpting to make things look 'ultra realistic', perhaps to a fault.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #745 on: March 12, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
They do seem more in line with current GW sculpting to make things look 'ultra realistic'

Then they failed miserably. :D

There are a few general complaints about GW's style and look these days: too realistic, too cartoony, even the slightly bonkers too computer-assisted designed...ey. I don't think any of these really fit. With these ogryns in particular, I think the main point is that they're just not very good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:39:24 PM by Vermis »

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #746 on: March 12, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
I don't think any of these really fit. With these ogryns on particular, I think the main point is that they're just not very good.

Nail on the head. They're a shadow of their former selves. Even some recent-ish things have being of excellent quality. The current plastic Plaguebearers for example are lovely. The odd character miniature over the last five years or so has been good too. Like The Changeling and the Warhammer plastic Nurgle Lord miniature that everyone on Ammobunker is always converting into INQ28.
But over the last year the ratio of good:bad has shifted radically. Out of these new Guard models I'm literally seeing nothing I'd even consider buying. The Stormtroopers are ridiculously over sized and overladen with skulls, aquillas etc., the new APC looks like a Tonka toy and the Ogryns are just, as you say Vermis, not very good. The Chimera variant is okay-ish I guess but the main gun looks bigger than the chassis.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #747 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
Those Ogryn's are nothing short of horrific. Plain ugly. Not a single good thing about them. Really don't like the use of track links as armour. Don't like the blocky uber guns. Faces are worse than the Ogre Kingdoms ones - which I would personally switch them out to.

These are better:

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #748 on: March 12, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
To each his own... I like them more than the ones in this style:

Though I still like this rendition much better:

I can see what they were trying to do with the sculpts, and overall they are an improvement, IMO.  I really dislike the OK range at this point in general, so I don't think their faces would help any.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #749 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »
Those top ones aren't very good either, Timbor.  :P

Looking at them, I'm reminded of something Steve Buddle once blogged about, and that might explain the 'too CAD-looking' complaints. Namely, the idea that GW might have started to design metal/finecast minis to resemble minis subject to the undercut limitations of plastic injection. I can sort of see it in the flattened, angular planes and features, especially in the faces.
'Course, this doesn't explain why even plastic minis should have flattened planes all over, and I don't think it accounts for the drop in quality, specifically in these ogryns and the new plastic versions. I agree that they look kind of lifeless, but I don't agree it's down to CAD. Can't really put my finger on it, but they look chunky and simplified. Has this got something to do with appealing to a younger market? I dunno. In addition, I look at the faces of these soon-to-be-replaced ogryns and TBH they look like the sculptor didn't have much of a grasp of how a face is put together. I can see how they'd appeal in being neat and clean in their angularity, but noses, brows, creases, teeth etc. look pretty crude and inexpert. Is it because the sculptor isn't up to scratch, or because they're railroaded into a house style, including a sort of (de) evolution of what's sold in the past? (especially with crude ogryn faces) Does any of that 'simplified for kids' theory come into it too?

I'm not really fond of the vintage Perry and Goodwin ogres and ogryns, with their flat noses and goofy Muppet faces; but they do look preferable to all these later versions. (especially when you look past the faces) Cartoony and a bit crude, but looking more like the old boys knew what they were doing and designing, and knew what anatomy they were exaggerating. (not surprising) More characterful. Less of the 'designed by committee', 'sculpt-by-numbers' look.

the Warhammer plastic Nurgle Lord miniature that everyone on Ammobunker is always converting into INQ28.

Not too shabby, is it? I bought one at full price. Considering buying another, even at full price, for converting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:32:30 PM by Vermis »