Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683071 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #945 on: May 01, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
Blimey. :o Bookmarked!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #946 on: May 01, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
For example, their terrain is very expensive, and *covered* in SKULLZ.

Their terrain offerings have been all over the place. Their modular hills are actually quite nice but they don't make them anymore. They appear to have stopped selling a lot of their terrain oddly enough.

Their terrain is the best example of their lack of concern for secondary markets. They could make nice fantasy and sci-fi terrain with a sprue of skullz and Warhammerish bitz and sell a lot of them to other gamers but I suspect that their either don't even care about that market or that market isn't large enough for them to bother.

I don't think that £15-25 for a box of 10-15 infantry models is unreasonable if:.

I think that most of their infantry boxes are just ten figures. Cav are usually in fives. Typically one needs two boxes for an average size unit. And if that box makes two distinct troop types (which is actually a pretty damn neat bit of work) then you need four to field the two units.

It can get really expensive really fast.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #947 on: May 01, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
And if that box makes two distinct troop types (which is actually a pretty damn neat bit of work)

While I agree it is clever design, what it really means is that they're getting you to pay for pieces you can't use and don't need. Not only that, you're left with odds and ends that are difficult to make use of elsewhere.

I'm all for building up the bits box, but I'd much rather have specific boxes that were either cheaper or had a few more figures in them.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #948 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
While I agree it is clever design, what it really means is that they're getting you to pay for pieces you can't use and don't need. Not only that, you're left with odds and ends that are difficult to make use of elsewhere.

I'm all for building up the bits box, but I'd much rather have specific boxes that were either cheaper or had a few more figures in them.

Ain't gonna happen. No-one, not GW, not distributors and not retailers, want to have that many distinct SKUs to sell.

On the plus side, if you aren't buying their figs for Warhammer it often means that you get two types of models with a single purchase

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #949 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
On the plus side, if you aren't buying their figs for Warhammer it often means that you get two types of models with a single purchase

If you're talking about, say, Bretonnia and Empire, you can get nicer, cheaper models elsewhere. So why would you?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #950 on: May 01, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
I can't help but notice that the new Treeman is wearing high heels. What a load of crap!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #951 on: May 01, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I can't help but notice that the new Treeman is wearing high heels. What a load of crap!

That actually killed the model for me when I saw it. Seems so utterly bizarre.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #952 on: May 01, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
I thought the same, but like I say, it's growing on me. Kind of an elf-wood-demon, purposely evoking Wraithlords and Wraithknights, as per Seb Perbett's notes, rather than the traditional not-ent. (And being a bit of an ent fanboy, that could be considered high praise from me!) I'll tell you what, though: it definitely beats the ambulatory piles of firewood that WE treemen used to be.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #953 on: May 02, 2014, 03:28:06 AM »
I really like the classic wood elf treeman though. Although the original Durthu (however you spell it) was a pretty bad model.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #954 on: May 02, 2014, 07:15:39 AM »
If you're talking about, say, Bretonnia and Empire, you can get nicer, cheaper models elsewhere. So why would you?

Dingdingding! Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

I have high hopes for the (eventual...) Heresy plastics for this very reason - nice cheap GW-scale undead. ;)

The treemen could be on the balls of their feel, and what you perceive as "heels" are in fact anchoring roots they put down and take up as they move to help stabilise them. ;)

I'll tell you what, though: it definitely beats the ambulatory piles of firewood that WE treemen used to be.

I quite liked the 6E treemen! I think their lack of anthropomorphism threw a lot of people who expecting the earlier 4E/5E style though. :'(

Really, the 6E treemen needed:

1) Better "faces", as they look a bit characterless without them.
2) Bark patches, as the models just looked like torn raw timber and not very tree-like.
3) More limbs/branches, to again emphasise the tree-ness.
4) At least two upper limbs need to look more weapon-like and dominant, to help emphasise the treeMAN.

Fortunately, these are not difficult changes to make, and the new treeman kit has all the spare plastic parts you need for several 6E treemen 'upgrades' in one box.

Since I'm planning on upgrading two 6E treemen, I'll let you know how that goes! ;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #955 on: May 03, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
So from what the guys at my fl-non gw-gs have said, the new tools are actually of a REALLY high quality. i've heard the clippers are great and was wondering if anyone had tried them out? i know they cost alot, but i need a new pair and rather than spend £3 on a cheap pair that doos a good, i'd happily spend £20 on a great pair that does a good job and looks as sexy as the gw ones do.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #956 on: May 03, 2014, 11:14:20 PM »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #957 on: May 03, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »
So from what the guys at my fl-non gw-gs have said, the new tools are actually of a REALLY high quality. i've heard the clippers are great and was wondering if anyone had tried them out? i know they cost alot, but i need a new pair and rather than spend £3 on a cheap pair that doos a good, i'd happily spend £20 on a great pair that does a good job and looks as sexy as the gw ones do.

I did a wee bit of shopping around for alternatives to the GW (and Warlord) tools. You can get a pair of Xuron micro shears on ebay, or Model Craft heavy duty cutters for £6-8. Whether or not they're sexy enough is up to you!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #958 on: May 04, 2014, 01:51:06 AM »
So from what the guys at my fl-non gw-gs have said, the new tools are actually of a REALLY high quality.

Compared to?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #959 on: May 04, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »

If you want to spend that kind of money, check out something like Lindstrom flush micro bevel cutters. Working them compared to anything I've owned previously is... Well, let's just say there's no real comparison, and that my hands thank me for the upgrade! ;)