Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:49:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682865 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #990 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I would have loved to play the space hulk games, both new and old versions, but they go for a pretty penny now of what I have seen  :(
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #991 on: May 15, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »
I would have loved to play the space hulk games, both new and old versions, but they go for a pretty penny now of what I have seen  :(
Incursion from Grindhouse Games is mechanically very similar; instead of Space Marine Terminators hunting down Genestealers on an abandoned spaceship however, the theme is a crack team of Allies in mechanically-powered armour hunting down a mad Nazi scientist and his creations in a secret base deep underground/water.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #992 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
Incursion from Grindhouse Games is mechanically very similar; instead of Space Marine Terminators hunting down Genestealers on an abandoned spaceship however, the theme is a crack team of Allies in mechanically-powered armour hunting down a mad Nazi scientist and his creations in a secret base deep underground/water.

I've got both and if push came to shove I'd probably favour Incursion. Just seems to run a little smoother. Also like the fact that you build your force personally rather than, like Space Hulk, having set squads for each scenario.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #993 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
I've got both and if push came to shove I'd probably favour Incursion. Just seems to run a little smoother. Also like the fact that you build your force personally rather than, like Space Hulk, having set squads for each scenario.

Thanks for the info for the other game guys, I shall have a further look into it and see about purchasing a copy of it for me and a few friends to play  :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #994 on: May 15, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
Haha, very true. Lets see if they can ruin this edition in one year  lol

Im 'too young to remember these' but of what I have read and seen they were very fluff heavy. Which is great in my opinion.  :)

I'm 19, too young is no excuse. you should spend every second of your free time scraping the internt to gather obscure 40k knowledge. :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #995 on: May 15, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
I'm 19, too young is no excuse. you should spend every second of your free time scraping the internt to gather obscure 40k knowledge. :)

My quest for knowledge on the xenos threats of humanity have been gathered on the T'au, a much closer threat to my homeworld  :D

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #996 on: May 15, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the info for the other game guys, I shall have a further look into it and see about purchasing a copy of it for me and a few friends to play  :)

Worth pointing out though that there are no mini's in the Incursion box. Just card stand ins. Doesn't bother me too much but you should know. Also the line of miniatures is really nice if you go that road.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #997 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
Worth pointing out though that there are no mini's in the Incursion box. Just card stand ins. Doesn't bother me too much but you should know. Also the line of miniatures is really nice if you go that road.

More minis for the expanding collection  lol I would buy the minis eventually but the card stand ins would be fine for learning the game.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #998 on: May 16, 2014, 04:30:16 AM »
I had the 2nd ed(?) tyranids army book. I poured over the genestealer cult list that was in that a lot. Ended up collecting the Tyranids though. Still have an old school tyranid army.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #999 on: May 17, 2014, 10:21:16 PM »

There's also Level 7: Omega Protocol from Privateer Press.  It's a complete boardgame with all the minis in soft plastic.  Game tiles are lovely, and each of the "marine" characters have a range of special abilities and equipment options, so there's a little more depth.

The core mechanic involves "Adrenaline" action points - any point spent by the marines is passed to the monster player, who can trigger special ations or reinforcements with them.  So it's a balance between moving in quietly and going in all guns blazing.  It's very, very good...

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1000 on: May 17, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »
There's also Level 7: Omega Protocol from Privateer Press.  It's a complete boardgame with all the minis in soft plastic.  Game tiles are lovely, and each of the "marine" characters have a range of special abilities and equipment options, so there's a little more depth.

The core mechanic involves "Adrenaline" action points - any point spent by the marines is passed to the monster player, who can trigger special ations or reinforcements with them.  So it's a balance between moving in quietly and going in all guns blazing.  It's very, very good...

Now this one caught my cousins attention so I believe he shall be purchasing a copy. Which means I get to play it too haha. Thanks for all the info again everyone  :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »
rulebook is up for preorder.
£50 for 3 books in a nice sleeve.one is art and hobby stuff, one is fluff, the other is rules.
designs are nice, light and modern, a pleasant departure from the skulls and hammers of the last couple of editions.

does anyone else think that £50, whilst expensive, is actually not too bad for a nice set of books ?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1002 on: May 18, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »
does anyone else think that £50, whilst expensive, is actually not too bad for a nice set of books ?
Its not cheap, but honestly I buy a lot of books in that price/page range, both hobby related and otherwise.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1003 on: May 18, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »

Not really, I'll quite happily spend a fortune on a book if I think it's worth it (I got the Star Wars Chronicles for £100, bargin  :D )

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1004 on: May 18, 2014, 07:12:25 PM »

Well, there's that old chestnut about a book and it's cover...