Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683381 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1020 on: May 20, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »
Sure. I'm not necessarily going to run out and buy these. I know some of them are garbage (the rust in particular is just a thick orange drybrush paint and doesn't mimic rust well at all) and you can do better elsewhere (everyone seems to agree that Tamiya clear red beats Blood for the Blood God), but some like the crackling earth and copper corrosion seemed worthwhile for a test.

But why buy them if I can't get more? If I get attached to them, I'll be out of luck later. Better to just learn the hand techniques.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1021 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
WTF?!? Who makes limited edition paint!?!?! That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Even by GW standards!

I have heard nothing similar about these paints.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #1022 on: May 20, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »
I am fortunate for paint now that my local model shop sells Vallejo. They also seem to be developing a "technical" range but i havent tried anything much so i cant say how it compares.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1023 on: May 20, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »
WTF?!? Who makes limited edition paint!?!?! That's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Even by GW standards!

I read Warseer: I'm almost desensitized to GW's ridiculous things. Almost.

but some like the crackling earth and copper corrosion seemed worthwhile for a test.

Crackling earth? Haven't looked twice at the technical range, but I take it that ends up like dried, cracked mud? You can get acrylic crackle medium or crackle glaze for that. And I assume copper corrosion caters to the penchant for slapping bright teal verdigris on any vaguely metallic surface these days...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:12:47 PM by Vermis »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #1024 on: May 21, 2014, 01:15:32 AM »
Absolutely right on the crackle medium. I decided that I want to try the verdigris and the Typhus Corrosion. The other four can be quite easily duplicated using regular materials/mediums or are available in a superior form from a different colour
- The rust is just a drybrush orange and doesn't even flow into cracks.
- Tamiya clear red is vastly better than the GW blood, by almost all the accounts of anyone who's used both.
- The Nurgle pus can be done with some ugly looking green and a little bit of heavy gloss/gel medium
- The earth crackle can be obtained using any decent artist's crackle medium (I realized I would only ever use this on terrain, not bases or minis, so I'd need larger quantities anyway and quality isn't as important)

I've done verdigris myself - and quite a decent job too, I think! - but I liked the nice variation in tones the GW one seems to be giving.  

The Typhus is the one which is a sort of a near-rust dirt and corrosion, with patches of pitting on the metal. THIS is the one that I really want to try, because this looks like the only one that genuinely gives an effect which would be very difficult and time-consuming for me to do on my own:

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #1025 on: May 21, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »
I have heard nothing similar about these paints.

I can't find anything on the website (and I think you can still order it direct from GW), but two of the stores I called said it was a limited edition thing and that they can't order it through their regular dealer channels.

If that's wrong well, GW should probably be making that clearer, because it seems a number of stores think it's true.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1026 on: May 21, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
Some GW products are limited in that you have to buy them directly from GW in one way or another. For example, when a new wave of releases is launched, all shops can but "x" number of each for the launch; thereafter, independent shops can only order specifics from that wave to stock regularly.

There was another douche-bag reason as well, to do with how GW handles independent retailer accounts; basically some products are considered "special stock" or such, and shops are very severely limited in how much/often they can stock them, and have limits set that are partially linked to how much "regular stock" they buy as well. I heard that many bigger independent retailers set up several companies all under the same ownership in order to try and get around this issue - essentially, each company has an account and is treated separately, and this lets bigger retailers obtain enough Failcast products and other such "special stock" to reasonably supply their customers with.

Its one way in which GW use independent stores to broaden their market, but at the same time force many players to subsequently come directly to GW as only they stock the complete range (in theory at least).

All that aside, I have heard nothing about the "new" technical paints being limited, so any GW-owned store should have them in stock.

Typhus Corrosion... I think you can get artists' acrylic mediums to mimic that effect too (but in any colour you want).

I have been totally unimpressed with GW's most recent paint range, and it seems to have be squarely aimed at people who just use GW paint and that's it. If people like, then great. Me, I'll keep avoiding it and saving money.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1027 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
The Verdigris is pretty decent, its like a thick wash, and dries very dusty. im sure there are better products out there but this one was easy to obtain anf does the job.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1028 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
the crackle base is great as long as you shake it and dry it with a hairdryer.It's tempting to use crackle glaze but honestly alot of it is crap, and even the good stuff it temperamental.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1029 on: June 13, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
I believe they actually sell the cultists separately in one of those snap fit mini box kinda things.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #1030 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:14 PM »
Yeah that's right. It's £6 or £7 ish.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1031 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
quick question.

are those starter box figs of the chaos cultists and warriors exclusive to that set?

Everything in the starter box is exclusive to the starter box *except* that a few of the basic cultists are also available as a little 6-model top-up set separately.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1032 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »
Generally speaking the all the recent starter sets are testing in one way or another. Once the new edition hits there is bound to be a new starter set and the current one might drop in price I guess? happened last times.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1033 on: June 18, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »
anyone have a link, I cant seem to find them... :(
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune