Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682908 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1035 on: June 18, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
Generally speaking the all the recent starter sets are testing in one way or another. Once the new edition hits there is bound to be a new starter set and the current one might drop in price I guess? happened last times.

The new edition has hit and last time I was in a GW shop (last week) the 6th ed Dark Vengeance boxes are still there at full price.

Not to mention that I've never known a significant GW product to drop in price. Unless you mean second hand or indy shops trying to dump old stock. The only unusual thing about it is that I gathered starter sets for previous editions just... went away. Being packed, as they have been as long as I've known, with rulebooks for their particular editions.

But then what I hear about 7th ed is that it's a few minor tweaks of 6th, a psychic phase based on unpopular magic mechanics from an old WHFB edition, and the infamous 'unbound' armies.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1036 on: June 18, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
Link as requested! ;)

Cheers! Ok, that's what I found as well.  I have not looked in a while, but I think I have this set from a few years ago.  It was a good deal if I recall.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1037 on: June 18, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
Link as requested! ;)

Forgive the rather silly question, but is that £6 for five figures or one  ???

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #1038 on: June 18, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
Forgive the rather silly question, but is that £6 for five figures or one  ???

cheers

James

Hmm, I'm guessing it's just the box. No contents.

Maybe an info flyer about the nearest outlet too.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1039 on: June 18, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »

Maybe an info flyer about the nearest outlet too.

lol

cheers

James

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #1040 on: June 18, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »
It is a box of five models. One of the few things from GW which decently priced.

Though Dr Viking will probably be correct within 6 months by the next price rise.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1041 on: June 18, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »

Not to mention that I've never known a significant GW product to drop in price. Unless you mean second hand or indy shops trying to dump old stock. The only unusual thing about it is that I gathered starter sets for previous editions just... went away. Being packed, as they have been as long as I've known, with rulebooks for their particular editions.

Indy shop naturally, pretty cheap and GW don't go together well do they now.

lol lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1042 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
The few times I played 40K, we played it 'unbound'. Actually it's how RT was meant to be played. So now they're charging us to tell us we can do whatever we want with the models we purchased (I HAVE met some die-hards that couldn't get their minds around that fact, obvious as it should be to anyone with an IQ above 75)?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1043 on: June 18, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »
The few times I played 40K, we played it 'unbound'. Actually it's how RT was meant to be played. So now they're charging us to tell us we can do whatever we want with the models we purchased (I HAVE met some die-hards that couldn't get their minds around that fact, obvious as it should be to anyone with an IQ above 75)?

Wait, you mean people actually play it with the massive organized armies? i don't think i've ever owned a full legal army  lol

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1044 on: June 19, 2014, 03:07:36 AM »
It was always too bloody hard to work out a legal force that wouldn't get wiped off the table in the first couple of turns  ::) lol

I do detest those types that can memorise the rules back to front (including all army lists) and then know the exact way they are going to beat you and in what turn :-[

What's the point; it's not a game, then it's just a predetermined movement of toys on a board with a predetermined outcome (not to me however who plays for the sake of the game. Play up! Play up!).

Anyway, no point in ranting about it now, I'm going to be selling the last of my newer 40k stuff very soon anyway.

cheers

James

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1045 on: June 19, 2014, 03:28:19 AM »
It is a box of five models. One of the few things from GW which decently priced.

Though Dr Viking will probably be correct within 6 months by the next price rise.

Nono, it turns out it's the flyer that costs £6.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #1046 on: June 19, 2014, 03:39:37 AM »
Nono, it turns out it's the flyer that costs £6.  lol

I remember being utterly confused on a 40k thread once when people were getting really excited about the new £25 space marine flyers. Didn't realise until much later they meant to the aircraft type models.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1047 on: June 24, 2014, 07:29:10 AM »
I shall not lie that my introduction to wargaming was through games workshop,  but my modelling started a lot longer ago with model railways as a cousin of mine is obsessed with trains that over the years was spread to me.

As Nic-e said on another thread here, some of GW larger kits could well be used as terrain and monsters all in one if broken down, I really like the title of the thread and could see the keanu reeves meme saying it hahaha  lol whoch I do believe was the intention of the title.
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1048 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »
I shall not lie that my introduction to wargaming was through games workshop,  but my modelling started a lot longer ago with model railways as a cousin of mine is obsessed with trains that over the years was spread to me.

As Nic-e said on another thread here, some of GW larger kits could well be used as terrain and monsters all in one if broken down, I really like the title of the thread and could see the keanu reeves meme saying it hahaha  lol whoch I do believe was the intention of the title.

What,me? Making an internet reference?  never!   lol

But yes, the larger fantasy kits (mainly the walking alter types)  all have a variety of large parts and several unique characters included,  which i think could be used individually to make a whole heap of goodies.so suddenly a £40 monster such as the dark elf blood cauldron  becomes 4 dark elves, a medusa monster, a bunch of dungeon scenery including alter,cauldron and mirror,and a giant khaine monster.suddenly the price begins to look reasonable when you break the model down to its constituent parts.

p

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #1049 on: June 24, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
This is an interesting way to look at it. There is very little context appropriate usable equiment in their kits. I was the other day converting a medic and orderly from old Perry imperial guardsmen and it really hit home that there was nothing on my chaos marine sprues I have lying around that was in any way resembling equipment. Some older imperial guard bits i got off ebay were a bit better and some devastator marine sprues had a few things, but generally the "bits" are not equipment at all.

But as you suggest here, if one thinks of the bits more in terms of architectural adornments, then suddenly there could be a use for it all. For example I could make a fence of spikes with skulls impaled on them. Or maybe a wall of skulls with spikes on top.

Why would a chariot have a mirror and a cauldron? It is beyond my feeble understanding.  But yet if we take them out of the chariot and put them in a room, which is the more conventional location for such trappings, suddenly things start to make sense. What is that chaos warshrine all about? Seems to be a bunch of random incongruous things thrown together. But maybe if we take it apart maybe we can make a nice trellis or something...