Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683114 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1080 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
Jes Goodwin, Brian Nelson, Seb Perbett... I wonder if Steve Buddle and Alex Hedström are still there too?

Are we going to be seeing ALOT more foot on rock now that the perries have taken their ability to create matching length legs away?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1081 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »
Jes Goodwin, Brian Nelson, Seb Perbett... I wonder if Steve Buddle and Alex Hedström are still there too?

Didn't Buddle just start in the past year?

Goodwin is the Grand Old Man there now... odd, isn't it? I'm pretty sure he pre-dates angels on.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1082 on: July 02, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
I have to admit, that I have not really known who sculpts for GW for ages now I gave up on WD in about 1996 I think.. Thanks for all your interesting replies on this subject :).

I do remember that they always used to tell you who had sculpted the latest FANTASTIC miniature, and the adverts/new releases bit at the back always had 'Sculpted by Jes Goodwin/The Perry Twins...etc written underneath the miniatures.

I get the bit about GW Orks and not Brian Nelson Orks, but it seems to limit the credit that the sculptor gets, which is a shame.

I personally think The Perry twins, Mr Hicks and Nick Collier have very distinctive styles. Not that others are not as good, it is just I can usually recognise the work of the above guys quite easily.

I guess it is time to open up 'The Perry Speculation Thread'. I hope they still choose to follow their own path and pursue the lines that they want to do- it can get frustrating... but it is good to see creative people driven by what they want for a change!!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1083 on: July 02, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »
I googled for "Perry twins" and got this:

Should I be worried?  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #1084 on: July 02, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »
Its their new boyband range

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1085 on: July 03, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »
I googled for "Perry twins" and got this:

That's hot.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1086 on: July 03, 2014, 03:24:08 AM »
They sculpt and sing! I never knew they were so talented!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1087 on: July 03, 2014, 04:58:19 AM »
...and Katie Perry?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1088 on: July 03, 2014, 05:36:01 AM »

Possibly not but the rest of us are  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #1089 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
No wargaming blog would be complete without referring to Games Workshop.

The company has as many fans as detractors, but it can hardly be denied that GW has had an enormous influence on the wargaming hobby. Many current wargamers started with GW games, even if they no longer play them. And a large part of the "new batch" still enters the hobby through GW's products. Still any topic dealing with GW in general terms, their products or their policies risks erupting into bitter disputes very soon.

There are as many reasons why this is so as there are people discussing GW, so I will not attempt summaries and analyses. Instead, I will just examine my own opinion. It's a …..

Interested? Read more on my blog http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/2014/07/gw-guilty-as-charged.html
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #1090 on: July 07, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
Excellent blog post.

And with a sad heart I have to agree with you.

I remember in one edition of White Dwarf getting a free hex game which was set on the Emperors Battle Barge at the time that Horus rebelled. It was a lovely little game which I happily played many times and was a brilliantly creative freebie. It made me happy to be a subscriber. (Sadly I no longer have the game)

I cant remember the last time GW made me feel just that ... happy. In a carefree generous way. Happy that their figures are nice after Ive dropped £20-30 on them yes but thats not carefree happy as a hobby supplier shoukd make me feel. Thats a 'I gave you good money so give me a good product' happy.

There is no generosity from them, not even within their creativity.  The story lines stand still. The over the top grimdark is suffocating.  This is a game, it should be fun.

But I digress, I recommend the blog article. Well written and with good images.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1092 on: July 08, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

I remember in one edition of White Dwarf getting a free hex game which was set on the Emperors Battle Barge at the time that Horus rebelled. It was a lovely little game which I happily played many times and was a brilliantly creative freebie. It made me happy to be a subscriber. (Sadly I no longer have the game)

I remember back when the website would have all these small mini-games on it. I specifically remember a chariot racing game and particularly a skaven pit arena game, including all sorts of interesting "upgrades" and a campaign system.

I had little interest in Skaven up to that point and those rules made me buy a couple of giant rats on whim because those rules were so cool. Seems like a good business model to me. We can all see how a few models for a mini game turn into the starting point for a whole new army. But I would be all right with that strategy working on me.

I feel old and nostalgic, I really shouldn't hang out on a forum with this many old folks.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1093 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Seriously?  This butt head doesnt even include shipping in the nearly 3000,00 price!

How are they a "butt head"? Its rare as heck and its even rarer to see one unassembled and complete.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1094 on: July 08, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
How are they a "butt head"? Its rare as heck and its even rarer to see one unassembled and complete.

Just because something is old or rare does not give it automatic value.  That said, the reason for my observation is simple, if I sell you a toothpick for 5,000,000 and then ask you to pay the shipping, I'm a Butt Head. :D