Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690693
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Factory "Apocalypse Survivors: The Women" boxed set  (Read 14339 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wargames Factory "Apocalypse Survivors: The Women" boxed set
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 04:49:12 AM »
As much as I try to not like them, this is probably one of the coolest sets to come out this year!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:57 AM »
As much as I try to not like them, this is probably one of the coolest sets to come out this year!

Yep, they really are nice.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
The painted examples on their site seem to have pretty manly faces. Is that a result of the paint work, or the sculpts?
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 05:04:21 AM »
I got the boys and girls sets at GenCon (18$ each, woot!) and I got a couple free sprues of chickie zombies. The heads are actually pretty good as far as detail. I wouldn't call them "manly" on the chicks...a little rosy flesh on the cheeks and they look more feminine.

My real beef is that they are a little on the small (skinny) side, and I mean boys and girls, compared to most models from most companies. They're not particularly short, or don't appear to be on the frames, but I haven't painted them up or even assembled them yet so only time will tell.

30 models for 18 bucks....really doesn't matter how skinny they are.

www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
The weapons alone are probably worth the buy. Lots of possibilities.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

workerBee

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »
The painted examples on their site seem to have pretty manly faces. Is that a result of the paint work, or the sculpts?

Or maybe it reflects the hardening effect of life with zombies?

Okay, just practicing my narrative skills.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
Or maybe it reflects the hardening effect of life with zombies?

Or just having to deal with other survival nuts (male and female) running around w/ guns!

Both boxes are on my to-buy list, if for nothing else than the sheer number of customizable options!

Offline Rovanite

• Librarian
    • Grekwood Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
I've fixed up both sets, but only made up about 15 from each box.

The big problem I have is the arms are very limited on what bodies they can work on. Not only sleeves etc, but the angle the bodies are cut. Like the "big gal" with the bazooka, it's tricky giving her different weapons as most of the arms are skinny and the way her shoulders are cut makes it awkward for other weapons without having to do surgical procedures on her.

Saying that though, it's worth it for just 10 unique figures, and possibly a few extra ones with different weapons here and there :)
www.grekwoodminiatures.co.uk
rovanite.blogspot.co.uk
On Facebook too!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
Love the set (so many extras) but a bit disappointed with the large woman and wargames factory. To me (sensitive as I am) it's just another way Fat people can still be made the but of jokes with no repercussions, seems like they are the only group its ok to make fun of.  For those who have not seen the figures the larger woman has a mid drift shirt to show off her belly and her pants are pulled down it the back showing her ass-crack. Bad showing Wargames factory.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
Love the set (so many extras) but a bit disappointed with the large woman and wargames factory. To me (sensitive as I am) it's just another way Fat people can still be made the but of jokes with no repercussions, seems like they are the only group its ok to make fun of.  For those who have not seen the figures the larger woman has a mid drift shirt to show off her belly and her pants are pulled down it the back showing her ass-crack. Bad showing Wargames factory.

Studies show that 25 to 35% of the women living in the US are obese. that's 1 in 4 to 1 in 3. You have a beef about one in ten being large ?
Or is it the clothing that's bothering you ? I'm guessing you'd be okay with it if she was to wear a dress, right?
Maybe you're missing the point where this is a post-apocalyptic zombie setting. Any large woman wearing dresses for comfort is probably one of the first to end up as a Zed meal.
At least WF has depicted this one as an energetic woman, even for her size. Sure, she won't run a marathon, but you don't want to mess with her either and in post-apocalypse she probably couldn't care less her belly and crack are showing.
My 2 cts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »
  The large lady in this set is dressed conservatively compared to some of what I see daily.   At least around here some folks make zero attempt to dress in a way that is flattering to their body style, and instead choose to dress in a way that could be flattering if they were 30-75 pounds lighter.   

workerBee

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
<snip> seems like they are the only group its ok to make fun of. <snip>

Don't want to start an unnecessary fight but this seems somewhat whiny and possibly an agenda issue...

Seriously, the only group?  Have you listened to "mainstream" comedians lately?  If I argued that every time I heard "humor" about Americans, Chrstians ("evangelical" or not,) males, conservatives, short people, or old people I would never have time to read LAF.

I am sure it happens to blondes, liberals, muslims, and <fill in the blank> too.

How about a little less PC angst, okay?

Gracias,

Glenn

bitchy mode today (fucking stupidity at work today)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:33:14 PM by workerBee »

workerBee

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 06:27:51 PM »
<snip stats>
Maybe you're missing the point where this is a post-apocalyptic zombie setting. Any large woman wearing dresses for comfort is probably one of the first to end up as a Zed meal.
<snip>

1) I question that. 

2)  Never argue with a lady of any size with an RPG, machine gun, or even a BAP. 

3) My second wife was in excess of 350 pounds (by a large margin) and I have seen her (we worked together) lift up a large confused and combative patient up off the floor, over the raised rails, and into the hospital bed so we could apply restraints.  Hauling around all that weight make one fairly strong muscularly. 

4) she moved quite quickly in her white uniform dress doing that.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 02:41:30 AM »
If people see the other arms in the set as too small for the big girl, then perhaps some of the arms from the male set would suit better? Don't have either set but just a thought? Might allow some different poses as well.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »

I'll take some of the blame for that, I'm sure I emphasized muscle groups and features more than need be. I didn't paint them with lipstick or eyeshadow either (which in retrospect I could have done on some of them).

In my defense they're certainly not sculpted as feminine as Hasslefree or Statuesque for example.

It's a pretty good set IMO, if not 'perfect'. The 'bigger girl' should have had her shirt covering her ass, there's no reason for that display. It's an easy fix for me but the average person probably doesn't want to bother with greenstuff or melted sprue.

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza