Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where does (historical based) SAW belong?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Where does (historical based) SAW belong?
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
Here?  Colonial Adventures?  The more fantastic stuff should be in VSF adventures obviously but what is your thoughts on where SAW belongs?  Both is not an option (this isn't TMP.)

Can Spain versus USA in 1898 be Colonial?  Can combat between rebels (Philippines, Cuba, Puerto Rico,) and Spanish (later American) troops be Age of Big Battalions stuff more than Colonial?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Re: Where does (historical based) SAW belong?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
Intriguing. Personally I'd say Colonial, it doesn't really strike me as Big Battalions per se, since the fighting seems less linear, as it were, but I might be influenced by having been watching Rough Riders last night...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
It's more Colonial me thinks as it was about Spanish colonies and the demise of Spanish Colonial Empire.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
Furthermore, if I recall correctly, the war was predominantly naval engagements and small to medium-sized skirmish actions on Cuba, the Philippines and Puerto Rico. I would tend to classify it as a colonial war as well, as it lacked protracted land campaigns, did not touch the "home soil" of either nation, and essentially started the U.S.' de facto colonial expansion.

workerBee

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »
Well, here is the (warning, Will Robinson!) the Wikipedia version of the battles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_the_Spanish%E2%80%93American_War

Battles of the Spanish–American War
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
   This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (March 2013)

The following are known Battles of the Spanish–American War.

This list includes all major engagements and most reported skirmishes of the Spanish–American War. Some items, such as the claim by Puerto Ricans that Spanish guns in San Juan fired the first shots of the war, cannot be confirmed by official records. Therefore, the list includes only those battles and skirmishes that can officially be documented after the official declarations of war on April 23 (Spain) and April 25 (United States).
List of Battles

Key: (A) United States – US Victory; (S) Spain – Spanish Victory; (I) – Inconclusive

April 1898
        April 25 – Bombardment of Matanzas, Cuba by US Navy (A)United States

May 1898
        May 1 – Battle of Manila Bay; American Asiatic Squadron under Commodore George Dewey destroys Spanish Pacific Squadron under Admiral Patricio Montojo (A)United States
        May 11 – Battle of Cárdenas; Spanish gunboats defeat American gunboats (S)Spain
        May 11 – Battle of Cienfuegos; US to cuts telegraph cable at Cienfuegos after two failed attempts (I)
        May 12 – Admiral William T. Sampson bombards San Juan, Puerto Rico (I)
        May 31 – US Fleet skirmishes with Cristóbal Colón and the fortifications of Santiago, Cuba (S)Spain

June 1898
        June 3 – Failed effort to block harbor mouth at Santiago with scuttling of collier Merrimack (S)Spain
        June 10 – US Marines land at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (A)United States
        June 21 – Guam captured by US forces; Wake Island soon follows(A)United States
        June 21 – Cuban guerillas land at Sigua, Cuba (I)
        June 22 – Second San Juan USS Saint Paul maintains a blockade by defeating a Spanish sortie. (I)
        June 22 – US troops land at Daiquiri, Cuba; they find Spanish positions abandoned (I)
        June 23 – Skirmish at Las Guasimas, Cuba, Cuban rebels driven back (S)Spain
        June 24 – Battle of Las Guasimas; US troops under General Joseph Wheeler encounter Spanish resistance under General Antero Rubin (S)Spain
        June 30 – Battle of Tayacoba; US landing effort repulsed by Spaniards (S)Spain
        June 30 – First Battle of Manzanillo; a US naval force attempts to clear the harbor but is repulsed (S)Spain

July 1898
        July 1 – Second Battle of Manzanillo; two American gunboats attempt to recanoiter the harbor but are forced to flee (S)Spain
        July 1 – Battles of the Santiago Heights: Battle of Kettle Hill (I) and San Juan Hill (A)United States ; fierce fighting for capital of Santiago Province in Cuba (I)
        July 3 – Siege of Santiago begins; Battle of Santiago de Cuba; Cervera's squadron destroyed (A)United States
        July 10 – Santiago, Cuba bombarded by US Navy (I)
        July 17 – Spanish garrison of Santiago surrenders after weeks of siege(A)United States
        July 21 – Battle of Nipe Bay American gunboats defeat Spanish gunboats and clear the bay (A)United States
        July 23 – Battle of Mani-Mani; Spanish prevent landing of Cuban reinforcements (S)Spain
        July 25 – Puerto Rican Campaign; US troops begin invasion of Puerto Rico (I)
        July 28 – US troops defeated at Battle of Fajardo (S)Spain
        July 31 – Night attack by Spanish on US lines outside Manila, Philippines (S)Spain

August 1898
        August 11 – US Troops enter Mayagüez, Puerto Rico; Spanish troops encircle the city to fight a battle that never occurs (A)United States
        August 13 – Battle of Manila; US Troops capture Manila, Philippines(A)United States

1899–1913
        Continued struggles in the Philippine–American War involving Filipinos and Spanish soldiers who refuse to give up fighting. The struggle is called "America's first Vietnam" by late 20th-century historians.

References

Bagosy, A. The Dirty Little War
    Nofi, Albert A., The Spanish-American War, 1898, 1997.

External links

Spanish American War Centennial Website

Other sources:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gfeldmeth/chart.spanam.html

http://www.loc.gov/rr/news/topics/spanishAmWar.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_were_the_key_battles_of_the_Spanish_American_War

http://www.sparknotes.com/history/american/spanishamerican/section7.rhtml

http://www.nps.gov/prsf/historyculture/buffalo-soldiers-and-the-spanish-american-war.htm