Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Pulp Terrain Projects **Pimping sampans added 28aug page 7** Pic Hvy  (Read 23390 times)

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
Re: My Pulp Terrain Projects
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Thanks.
And I thought I was being quite restrained  ;D

@LB I have a few bases for sampans I didnt assemble yet so will take some tutorial pics.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
The modular sub pen is inspiring as all get-out - really need to think about how to blatantly steal creatively emulate that concept.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »
Impressive!  :o

Thanks to Johan (Wayswatcher) from who made me change the design a bit when I came across his project.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=1296.30
I thought they looked familiar. Nice work!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
Total inspirational credit goes to Amalric and Mad Lord Snapcase for their wonderful ships.

That's very kind of you to say so, old sport! Your sub pen is brilliant, exactly what I want but am too lazy to build (and I never finish anything anyway!).  lol

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
Re: My Pulp Terrain Projects *Sampan Tutorial 15Aug*
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Thanks all. The sub pen is really quick to do

As requested:

Part 1 THE BASIC SAMPAN

Start with a base in the basic shape you want for your sampan. I use 3mm (1/8inch) hardboard. From a basic rectangle, I cut away using a box cutter(craft or stanley knife) and steel rule to get a more curved form

Using coffee stir sticks, cover the base. No need to trim the sticks to fit at this point. Just make sure the whole base is covered. I try to balance the layout and make sure each stick has enough surface area glued to the base so it sticks well. I use Aleene Tacky glue.

See; just covered, no trimming.

To dry, place under a heavy weight.

Once dry, trim the excess using your craft knife, making multiple light passes. This should be easy as stir sticks are quite thin and it follows grain of the wood. Use the hardboard base as a guide for cutting.

Tada! Might need a bit of fine trimming.

Next the side walls.
The easy option is if you have craft sticks that are wide enough and long enough. I do! These jumbo craft sticks are nice as they are thin like the coffee stir sticks. I suspect tongue depressors would be the same. They are wide enough too that you can make sides that are curved up at the ends if you wish. I didn't today.

Cut the jumbo stick down the middle length-wise, trim the ends at a slight angle so the shortest length at the bottom is the same length as the base, and gently (gently I say) curve the stick to mimic the curve of the base. The jumbo stick split in half is just the right height for the side walls ( let me know if there is a better nautical term than side walls).

But that would be too easy and not everyone has jumbo craft sticks on hand so I will use coffee stir sticks, lapped two rows high.

I run a bead of tacky glue down most of the bottom half except at the ends. At the ends I use a bit of superglue which will help hold the coffee stick until dry enough. This is optional, you can just use superglue or tacky glue too.

Use something to hold it in place until dry (clamps, elastics, holding it a few minutes, etc). I boobooed. :( I was rushed and did not let the tacky glue set long enough and left it without clamping. The sides came apart slightly just in the middle while the superglue held.

Retrofitted my mistake by jamming glue in the crack (I cleaned up the glue before it dried). Problem fixed.

Add the end piece of first row.

Add a second row of coffee sticks, I overlap where the joints are on a layer.

There is no definite template/plans so some mid construction adjustments might be needed.

When initially holding down the sides, glue is likely to ooze out (on both sides I forgot once- difficult to clean once dry so clean it up now)

Add the end pieces that are trimmed to fit. Cover the hole with a cross piece that is slightly tappered to fit. I added a whole raised standing area at the back to cover the ugly joint area but that could have been a single cross piece instead too. Whatever looks good to you. Add cross pieces as you wish.

The finished basic sampam. (can this be my entry for the build something contest?)

Part II Pimping your ride. Coming soon
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:46:42 PM by Braz »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: My Pulp Terrain Projects **Sampan tutorial added 16aug page 7**
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
Braz,
Thanks! Nice tutorial and it looks pretty straight forward. I have favorited this page and will definitely give you sampan method a go.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
Yes, a very useful tutorial,  thank you.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
Part 2 Pimping My Sampans

So we have some basic sampans - ho hum.  Not too exciting. On to it then - this is the part I like.

Let's add some shelters

Cut out two pieces of cardboard to size. Trim with scissors until get desired shape.

Glue them together in position. The laminated cardboard once dried will hold it's shape.

Cut out some covering material. This one is from a cheap kitchen place matt with an interesting woven texture - bought to make some jungle huts at some point. I digress.

And this one from a burlap sack originally used to hold rice.

Glue onto your cardboard shape.

Cabin shelter version

Make some wall panels from coffee stir sticks. Cut out two cardboard panels to size to make the roof.

Glue the panels in place and add some strapping pieces.

Glue the two roof cardboard pieces together and while still wet place on a convenient form so that it dries in that shape.

Cut and glue some coffee stir sticks to make the roof.

Once dry glue roof to side panels.

Adding a sail

Make a strengthened section on the deck where the mast will be. I doubled up the cross piece and added an extra piece to make a solid foundation. Once dried, drilled a hole the diameter of the dowel piece I will use for the mast.

Glue the mast spars in place. I've added a base made from cardboard strip wrapped around the mast and hardened with superglue that will help keep mast upright.

Here are the spars tack glued in place. This will not be strong enough. I will wrap wire to the joints and add more glue.

And some rigging.

Add pva glue to the spars, and place on some cloth. Let dry and trim with a sharp craft knife.

Deck gear and merchandise.

Every sampan needs to be covered with trade goods. Here I glue two craft blocks together (42 1/2" blocks for $1. Woot!) to make a crate pile - should have done this after I finished the crates. Anyways live and learn. The goods will be glued together in groups, stacks, and bundles for easy placement.  I also glued in a circle some extra kitchen place matt material to make a woven basket; wrapped it around a plastic pen as a form so the glue won't stick to it.

Scribed some planks into the cubes using a craft saw; a craft knife or even a ball point pen would work - the cubes are made from a soft wood. Then glue some strapping cut from coffee sticks to finish the crate but cardboard would probably be better.

Here I cut frames from cardboard instead for some crates. Add one to each visible side.

And a few simple open boxes made from coffee stir sticks. Once done you can add a thin cardboard bottom and fill with various items(Das modelling clay, sand, plastic beads, barley, rice, etc) to represent spices, fruits and veggies, fish etc. 

Here I make some coils of rope keeping them flatish so figures can be places on them still. This is a bit messy but cover string in PVA. I then use tweezers for better control when coiling it, doing it on a piece of parchment paper so it won't stick to the work surface. Let dry.

Here is part of the merhandise before paint and gluing. Will also make pots and jars from some craft beads, rolled up carpets from fabric scraps, etc.  There are bags made from air-dry modelling clay and bags from folded over burlap also.

Ta-da!  Much nicer.  Oops, noticed I need to add strapping to outside of the curved shelters.

Happy building!
Cheers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:59:10 PM by Braz »

Offline General

• Scientist
Re: My Pulp Terrain Projects **Pimping sampans added 28aug page 7** Pic Hvy
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:11 AM »
Fantastic work!! :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »
Nice job!  :-*

Thanks for all the WIP pics!

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 01:40:23 AM »
Great work ......lots of work....WoW!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 04:14:56 AM »
Quality tutorial.  8) 8) 8)
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 05:22:33 AM »
Excellent work, Braz! THANKS for sharing.  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:16 AM »
Nice work, really nice work.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 05:57:11 AM »
Very nice.

I really like that on the largest sampan, the one with the sail, it looks like you can still put figures right over all the cargo clutter on the decks, so it's both decorated and still usable, which is a hard thing to achieve!