Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Custom Transfers  (Read 3213 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Custom Transfers
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
Does anyone know of a place to get custom waterslide transfers/ decals made? I found Vini Vidi Vici, but they're asking for Ģ150 GBP minimum for a print run. I was going to buy blank transfer paper and print out my designs, but ideally I'd like white transfers, and that's impossible with my inkjet...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Custom Transfers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:18:40 AM »
have you tried Dom Skelton @ Doms Decals?

How complicated are the designs, could you use white decal paper??
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »
I seem to recall a thread on TMP [ I think] a while back where they said you can buy blank transfer film, design your own in one of the graphics programs, then print them onto the film.

Sadly I am the size of an elephant, but with the memory of a goldfish, so cannot remember when or where I saw this.  :? :-[

I'm sure if it's true, other LAFers will have seen it.

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
Yup, you can purchase blank transfer sheets from modelling suppliers (in Germany, itīs available from "Conrad", for example, under the "Aircolor Technik ACT" brand).

You then print your design onto the sheets and have to varnish with waterproof varnish (spray, in all probability). After this has dried, you have to cut the decals from the sheet, being as careful as possible, since the carrier film does not stop beyond the decal as with many aircraft decal sheets.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »
I have some do-it-yourself transfers. But I think I must have misunderstood the ad. I wanted to make white lettering, and my printer doesn't do white, so I've never used the damn stuff.

Stupid, really. I didn't think it through.

So there is a way to do white, is there, without having to buy an expensive new printer?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »
White lettering is the hardest. I use white decal paper and reverse out my text from a block of the background colour. It is obviously very difficult to match the background unless it is a straight forward solid colour.

Other ways I have tried to varying success - screen printing with white ink but you have the expense of the screen (we use them at work) and stencilling, both onto normal clear paper. Neither as good as rub downs like Letraset or even freehand and often much more hassle.

The thought has just occured to me that I have an oldish printer with seperate CMYK cartridges. Could I wash one out and fill it with white ink. Put in the black slot and ask the printer to print black, it should then print out white. Now I just need the time to try it.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
I do remember seeing somewhere a type of decal paper that you "Print" on and then apply some form of white powder to the sheet which adheres to the printed parts. I think there is some form of chemical/heat process which bonds the powder.
Unfortunately my Web-Fu is a little lacking and I can't find it ( I was looking at doing a similar project but it looked a little technical for me!!!)
If I find the site I will post a link.

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »
Making and printing your own decals is not very difficult at all.
I've made hundreds of 28mm Late Roman shield designs and I have the proverbial two left hands and ten thumbs.

You've already found out the main problem which is printing white. As far as I know only ALPS printers can print white and if you're not going to do this very often it might not be worth investing in one.
Of course the printer can be used for all regular print jobs as well.

Thsi site, while purely commercial, gives you a good idea of what making your own decals is all about.
http://www.beldecal.com/model_decals.cfm

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »
Hah! Remembered how to do it..not where I saw it ( If that makes sense!!)
To print white lettering you can use Water-slide decal paper (clear). Straight after you have printed your lettering ( colour not important) you sprinkle the sheet with white embossing powder which sticks to the wet ink (Super Cal is one brand name I can remember). Shake off the excess then heat the sheet up with a heat gun. This will melt the embossing powder, bonding it to the paper. I don't know if you've still got to laquer the sheet or not ( I would assume not as the bonded powder should be waterproof).
Apparently the results are a little hit and miss as it's not an exact science to get the right ammount of embossing powder sticking to the ink.
Anyhow, hope that's of some use.

PM

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
If you really need just "white" transfers..

Contact Letraset in the UK  It's about 45 pounds, but that will net you a 9 x 12 sheet of just white logos, lettering etc.  This is rub on transfers, so you need to be patient, or apply them to some clear decal film first, then apply as a water slide.  the letters are a polymer ink, same stuff I think as Archer Transfers.

We used to use Letraset all the time for graphic design comps, but have not used them for a few years.  I have gone to them though for single color transfers of Russian Stars, white lettering, etc.

http://www.letraset.com/design/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=130&cat=Colour

Since it is spendy...you should see if anyone else needs something and piggy back several custom orders on one sheet.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:31:41 PM by CompanyB »