Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:51:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flintloque Mash ?  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Flintloque Mash ?
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
A quick Thursday evening fracas that allowed us to try out the much acclaimed “Muskets and Tomahawks” rules and to dig out some miniatures that haven’t seen the light of day for a good number of years.

We decided on a fairly easy game to start – 200 points a side allowed three units and an officer each. After rolling up the scenarios, (the Elves hell bent on massacring the opposing Orc force and the Orcs valiantly defending the pub and small farm) we decided to add in the events cards, but didn’t use the side plots (we will next time).

General overall layout with the pub on the left of the board and the small farm to the right of the board. The Elves entered on the right hand side, with the Orc light infantry stationed outside the pub and a unit of Dark Elf Colonial Militia in the hedgerow adjacent to the farm; the Orc regular troops were reserve to come on when the dice roll allowed.

The cards and dice rolls really weren’t going the Orcs way – having been caught in the open, they failed to find cover in time and were severely mauled by the elf firing line; in addition the reserve was just not turning up and to cap it all the Dark Elf Militia trying to hide in the farm were flushed out and sent running by overwhelming forces.

"Orcs in the open"

"Sorted"

"... and now for the Dark Elf Colonial Militia"

"Job done and the game won"

An enjoyable evening of gaming; I’m sure we’ll be getting the old Flintloque figures out again and have the return match.

I also have a copy of the current Flintloque rules from Alternative Armies so it will be interesting to see how they play in the light of our initial experience with M&T.

RMZ

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
Re: Flintloque Mash ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
Stunning scenery and lovely painted miniatures.

Being a Slaughterloo fanatic myself it brings me great joy to see this. :-)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:48:33 PM by Jaeger »
Too many projects... not enough time...

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
A great game report - thank you for posting the pictures and the game details.

Tony

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
Great report!
I love the scenery as well.
Nice touch with the musket smoke!

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
Thanks chaps,

I have enjoyed collecting Flintloque figures over the years and made use of the Alternative Armies special rates earlier in the year. I've got a unit of Ferach Dragoons to sort out next and a bit more clutter. It was good to get them out on the table and also to use them in a "mass" formation.

Tony,  I have followed your blog for a few years and your enthusiasm for Flintloque made me look at it in a whole new light. Please keep up the great work; your latest conversion and it's pj is outstanding.

The musket smoke was a quick ad-hoc feature - my wife had left out some polyester wadding on her work bench, and it found its way into the game.

RMZ

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:52:26 AM »
Only just discovered flintloque,nice to see some painted up, :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
Seeing all those BEAUTIFUL Flintloque minis in such a GLORIOUS setting is WONDERFUL. I hope this just the first of many such reports.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
Love it, wonderful stuff!
Looks like a great game!!!

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Seeing all those BEAUTIFUL Flintloque minis in such a GLORIOUS setting is WONDERFUL. I hope this just the first of many such reports.

.... and here’s the next instalment

The Orcs, having been chased out of the hamlet, continued running; their object was to get to the barn and hold it until relief arrived.

We used the same units as before, but on a slightly larger board. The three Orcs units started 12” from the board edge facing a small force of Dark Elf Militia.

The regular Orcs supported by some Dark Elf Militia advance on the barricade.

The Light Orcs move up to the hedge line.

The Orcs managed to get a couple of moves in, before the Dark Elf Militia fired their first round. The Orc Regulars suffered a single casualty, but had to fall back (they were a bit nervous.

The Orc Light Troops, with their attached Officer pushed forward at a rapid rate to get to the barn.

By the second turn the Elf Regulars began to arrive; we randomly decided where they would enter the board – luckily enough they came in quite near the barn and proceeded to advance to prevent the Orcs occupying it.

The barn turned in to a scene of attack and counter-attack, with one group of Elf Regulars being slaughtered by concerted fire from the rifle armed Light Orcs.

The second group of Elf Regulars formed lines and laid fire into the barn.

Even the Orc's allies managed to get a couple of shots at the Elf Regulars.

The Orcs were pushed out of the barn at one point, but managed to regain the interior on the last card, thus wining the game.

We used half of Doug's (EM4) excellent farm complex, with all the scenery element mostly scratch built (except the GW walls). Must get the Dragoons finished (started  lol) ready for the next game.

RMZ
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:45:29 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Go Orcs!! 

You may have guessed my preferred Slaughterloo Army.  ;)

The scenery is absolutely amazing. Great setting and lovely paint jobs.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
Fantastic stuff once more, please do keep it up.

How do the Muskets and Tomahawks rules fare? For Flintloque to 'feel' like Flintloque, I always think there has to be a lot of character and difference between the models. For example, an orc is not as good at shooting as an elf, but fares better in melee. Dwarves are hard as nails, good in melee but very slow. Ogres are a bit thick, they are also physically slow but very hard-hitting and capable of carrying lots of stuff.

What about random effect rules? I like a bit of magic in my Flintloque Games...

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »
Thanks guys,

Rob – I have to admit that I have wanted to play the M&T rules for ages, but just could not get the painting done. Therefore, I used the resources I had available the good old Flintloque minis using the obvious substitution of the Elves for French, Orcs for British and Dark Elves for Militia; I made no adjustments to the rule sets.

M&T would probably be better compared against “Slaughterloo” but as I don’t own the rule set I can’t do the comparison. I have got the Flintloque rules which appear to use smaller units of about ten individuals (judging by the sample scenarios in the book) with a lot more skills and traits than used in M&T. The M&T random events add some interesting actions and can cause problems, such as “Rain” when firing becomes harder and the hand-to-hand is fairly basic, and brutal on an individual basis.

The Flintloque rules certainly give the feel of the age and I am looking forward to using them “in context” soon.

I have been checking out the Barking Irons site and I have to admit I am very tempted in “Wyndorcs 3rd Korsucan Rangers” as a unit; it would make more of the (lonesome) four Korsucan Rangers I own. It certainly an interesting mixed unit.

RMZ

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
Very interesting, got to say I'd be tempted to use my Flintloque figures for plenty of other periods given that I've got a big painting backlog to clear and I do enjoy painting the Flintloque figures.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
Nice follow up report.
I like the close up pics even better!
 :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
WONDERFUL STUFF! The gun fight in the barn brought to my admittedly strange mind the St. Valentine's Day Massacre sans Tommy Guns.