Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diorama "Der Untergang"  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Lurch

• Librarian
    • http://www.miniaturicum.de
Diorama "Der Untergang"
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Hi,

have you seen this diorama by ONIRIA?

It is posted in the Steve Dean forum. It is 1/72 scale not 28 mm but realy amazing and full of atmosphere.

Have a look, there are much more pictures and close ups.

http://www.sdforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11501&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"Hier hast Du Buch! Hier hast Du Wurzel! B???MMMM! ", Grimm

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: Diorama "Der Untergang"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »
Very evocative and masterfully done.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »
I saw it on SD & GWP. It is absolutely awesome. There are so many parts of it that made me go "wow" and in 20mm to boot
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »
I think what it really shows up, is that these 20mm figures from Preiser and elsewhere look like real people in miniature, rather than the usually way-too-chunky caricatures we have all been conditioned to love in 28mm 'wargames' figures.

These guys look in perfect proportion. Their anatomy is right. The poses are entirely natural - and relaxed, which of course is something you rarely see in a wargames figure...

Actually, the painting is not that fantastic: it is much more impressionistic than 'accurate' (in the 'three colour method' sense). But that doesn't matter, because it all adds to the sense of realism. Because people are quite impressionistic when you look at them, they are blurs and impressions of colour - not painted in hyper-realistic layers of base, shade and highlight colour...  :(

It's an amazing piece of work, but I'm afraid it rather depresses me, because it reminds me how far we have all come from attempting to accurately portray reality in miniature...

In part at least it's down to a blending of genres between fantasy and historical. Many of us have grown up with squat, cartoony orcs, space marines and the like, and we now unthinkingly accept the absurd anatomical conventions of GW and their imitators in everything we do...  This shows us how far we've gone astray.

Right...

Now to order those Lost World dino hunters...  ;)

Offline panzerfaust200

• Librarian
    • http://theguild.informe.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:26 PM »
its part of the Guild group build "captured" - the majority of the figures are actually AB miniatures, with some headswaps from Prieser IIRC?

rob.  o_o

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:25:53 AM »
I think what it really shows up, is that these 20mm figures from Preiser and elsewhere look like real people in miniature, rather than the usually way-too-chunky caricatures we have all been conditioned to love in 28mm 'wargames' figures.
These guys look in perfect proportion. Their anatomy is right. The poses are entirely natural - and relaxed, which of course is something you rarely see in a wargames figure...

Actually, the painting is not that fantastic
That´s my point of view. I love 1/72 miniatures because they look like real humans. (O.k. that is one reason)

In my opinion the painting is fantastic. The faces are something i try to achieve.