Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 685
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: update! JTT Corn Field  (Read 6464 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: update! JTT Corn Field
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
I've received about half my order, and I've been giving the basing a lot of thought... I THINK I've settled for single row strips of base - I just have to figure out what material can both be drilled and be trusted not to Warp when painted...

Acrylic glass sheet maybe ?

Concerning this product, any clue where I could order it on internet, if possible Europe webstore (I'm from France) ?

thanks

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
Might work. I have to get a 'drilling tower', so I can avoid the stalks pointing in weird directions.
That is not an issue.  The "corn stalks" have a wire core.  You just drill, glue and adjust. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
That is not an issue.  The "corn stalks" have a wire core.  You just drill, glue and adjust. 
Snitchy sends.

OK, that's cool, thanks!

Acrylic glass sheet maybe ?

Concerning this product, any clue where I could order it on internet, if possible Europe webstore (I'm from France) ?

thanks

Amazon sometimes has a few packs, but i wanted a large number and ordered it from Michigan Toy Soldier Compan (www.michtoy.com), as it was the only place I could find that seemed to have larger quantities (and I still have to wait for about half the order, as they were not able to supply all at once).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
Be aware that Michigan Toy Soldier has been in the news in the past, and not in a good way. I understand the responsible party is no longer involved with the firm and I myself have had only positive experiences with them, but just FYI. http://royaloak.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/michigan-toy-soldier-owner-gets-jail-time-in-director80d0c10203

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Might work. I have to get a 'drilling tower', so I can avoid the stalks pointing in weird directions.

I'd suggest a pin vise w/ drill bit sized to cornstalk wire core diameter, and .040 or .080 plastic-card for the bases. Wont warp from paint, glue, etc. Super glue or hot glue stalks, and hold vertical until set.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
I'd suggest a pin vise w/ drill bit sized to cornstalk wire core diameter, and .040 or .080 plastic-card for the bases. Wont warp from paint, glue, etc. Super glue or hot glue stalks, and hold vertical until set.

I normally glue sand onto a surface to make 'soil'. It warps even thick MDF.

I might consider getting some plasticcard if the general asessment is, it should work?

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
I normally glue sand onto a surface to make 'soil'. It warps even thick MDF.

I might consider getting some plasticard if the general assessment is, it should work?

Has worked for me on my 15mm WW2 minefields, vineyards, etc.  These range from 1" to 2" in width, and 3" to 6" in length. No issues.  Just score the plasticard on the top surface, so the glue (I use Elmers white or carpenter glue) can get more traction (so to speak). You can also do the gluing in stages (I have done this to mitigate possible warping with MDF). By stages I mean scattered blotches that don't cover the whole surface at one time. I did this with my six 24" x 24" desert boards. Worked well.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
You can also do the gluing in stages (I have done this to mitigate possible warping with MDF). By stages I mean scattered blotches that don't cover the whole surface at one time. I did this with my six 24" x 24" desert boards. Worked well.

I might try that the next time I have to make a board. All my 2' x 2' and 3' x 3' boards are slightly concave.

The method might work for strips of masonite, too, a material I have plenty of, so I might try it out for a row of corn stalks.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 11:59:12 PM »
I always use 3mm plasticard for these types of apllications and never had warping after applying basing material with standard PVA/White glue.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
Yeah, but I have no idea where to get plasticard 'round here. I'll try working with available materials and see what happens.