Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689657
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SCW Militia  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
SCW Militia
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »
Does anyone know what titles, if any, the early Militia used for their leaders before they were 'militarized'?

I know that in the case of the POUM, the officers were appointed by the party and the "equivalent of corporals" elected by the units they were to command.

Obviously the many sources often conflict.... I'm guessing that the ubiquitous 'Jefe' was used for the NCO's of the Seccíons within a Centuria and I found one reference to a 'Comandante (Captain)' (sic) in charge of a Centuria.

I suspect that there was an avoidance of 'bourgoise' titles with established military connotations in the early militia, but where any titles used at all?

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
Re: SCW Militia
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
In the case of the FAI/CNT militia, they were called Delegates

it gets very complicated when you start to try and work out how the command structure worked, as everything was done by committee.

Traditional army hierarchies in the militias were openly discouraged. Leaders in the militias carried no badge or insignia of rank, and were addressed by the militias as equals, not as superiors. Leaders were not saluted, and were called "Comrade" and not "sir". Orders could be challenged, and militia leaders and delegates had to explain the reason behind a particular order, rather than expecting blind acceptance!!!!

Organisation was done on a decimal basis, the basic group consisted of 10 men. then 100, 500 etc. a column could have anything from 1000 to 10,000 militiamen in it. Regular army officers were seconded to the militias as technical advisors, but were not trusted, and often ignored.

The committees of delegates actually voted whether to accept orders or not!!!!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
Thanks for that, it is pretty much in line with what I've found out... adding in some authors saying 20 man squads, confusion over the Spanish platoon and section terms, calling units battalions instead of columns and some using all these terms interchangeably.

I just wondered if there might be just an offhand descriptive term in use for leader(s).

I remember reading somewhere a suggestion that a game be played with one player per militia unit fielded, but just one player on the nationalist side. That would be worth seeing  lol 

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
I've made militia players roll dice to see if order changes are accepted or not.
When playing militia they have to have a set of orders made out at the start of the game, there is a one turn delay whilst the committee decides on any order changes

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
I've made militia players roll dice to see if order changes are accepted or not.
When playing militia they have to have a set of orders made out at the start of the game, there is a one turn delay whilst the committee decides on any order changes

Well that would certainly make for interesting play. I'd imagine leader capability would make a difference, with some being trusted to do the right thing by their men, while others would be questioned constantly over their orders.

Amongst the reds, particularly the communists you'd have the added complication of whether the Commissar felt the order was suitable too....  :?

"Where shall we retreat to Comrade?"
"To the cemetary".