Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689542
  • Total Topics: 118285
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late war commando uniforms  (Read 2290 times)

Offline whiffwaff

• Scientist
Late war commando uniforms
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a little stumped for paint combos for a commando raiding party I'm putting together.

Ideally I'd like to use Vallejo as only heard good things.

I'm not to sure what colours to use as shadow, base and then hightlight. I was hoping to use some sort of triad system so if Vallejo isn't ideal for this I'm open to other suggestions.

I hate mixing paints as I can never seem to get consistency over an army so I prefer to use a "pre mixed" triad system. 

Thanks

Adam
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:03:35 AM by whiffwaff »

Offline Goosegog

• Librarian
    • Blog spot
Re: Late war commando uniforms
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Foundry used to do a triad set called British Uniform, but I'm not sure they actually produce it anymore. It was part of the WW2 range which they stopped making. Though I have seen some of the discontinued ranges at shows or maybe from Foundry themselves still if you drop them a line. I would add though I have tried some of their WW2 colours and some are good and some a little off (IMO). I'm not sure how the British Uniform stands upto Vallejo colours for British Uniform. I must add I use mainly Foundry and Vallejo paints now. Vallejo tend to be more matt in finish (again in IMO), though of course once the varnish is on it tends not to matter.

You could take a look at Artizan's website. They have painting guides for the main WW2 participants by Mick Farnsworth and he uses Vallejo colours.

Of course there is the argument/theory that due to different manufacturers/dyes/wear and tear there would not be a common uniform colour across a unit/army or for that matter on the individual components worn by an person in the uniform. Which is borne out by period colour photos. So mixing colours and having different variations is not really a problem. But that comes down to personal choice/preference of the painter. :)     

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »
. I would add though I have tried some of their WW2 colours and some are good and some a little off (IMO).

Some of the pigments seem to be very thin..... I've had to apply several layers of paint to build up a base layer st times (after undercoating of course!  :))

You could take a look at Artizan's website. They have painting guides for the main WW2 participants by Mick Farnsworth and he uses Vallejo colours.

Yeah, it's a pretty good guide though from what i remember it lacks examples (I could be wrong here!)

Of course there is the argument/theory that due to different manufacturers/dyes/wear and tear there would not be a common uniform colour across a unit/army or for that matter on the individual components worn by an person in the uniform. Which is borne out by period colour photos. So mixing colours and having different variations is not really a problem. But that comes down to personal choice/preference of the painter. :)

Funnily enough, when I was asked to paint up the miniatures for the Perry's Desert Rats Diorama (for Salute) and Michael asked me to vary the colours as they would have faded at different rates etc.

To give you an idea of the variation you can see pics here on my website:

http://darrellhindley.co.uk/?page_id=1432

Just click and the pics will pop up.

Darrell.    
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:39:14 PM by Atheling »

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »
I use the same colours that i used for WW1:
Basecoat of Vallejo leather brown, Vallejo english uniform & add vallejo Khaki to English uniform to highlight.
It works for me

Offline whiffwaff

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
Cheers for the guidance, appreciated