Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just structuring up my ongoing projects.  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Just structuring up my ongoing projects.
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
Hi there! I am just structuring up my on going Projects. There are no pics yet but I plan to incorporate some later to get input from you all. One of the main Points with this thread for me is to bone out witch Projects I can use the same minis and terrain. In the long run I Think this will help me save time and Money. Also on what to buy/build/paint next.

If any of you out there has any kind of critism or ideas. Perhaps suggestions on how you solve tie ins between your own games. Please feel free to comment.

So here goes....

Battle board
I need a battle board. The problem for me is how and what. Wasteland? Forest/Grass green? Urban etc.
Also how?

One idea I am toying with is building a MDF with strenghten sides using 244*122 cm standard. Strenghten it up below and paint it grass green. Buying a set of workmans benches (do not know the English term for it) will be a good base and easy to use.

This means I can buy battle mats to cover it with, representing other terrain.

Fantasy

Barony of Corragh
Vision: A skirmish based system as a base ready to expand. Used to introduce my family into table top.
Rule set: Fantasy warriors with a rebuild magic system
Status: I´ve got a sizable force humans and orcs. Some stand ins as goblins. I´ve got some Sarrisa dark age Buildings for terrain.
To do: Keep building the forces to go get some more variation. Replace the goblin forces. Next summer build a goblin camp on a hill for a end of chapter battle. Buy some more Sarrisa to get enough for a small village.
Tie ins: Can´t see any tie-ins with any other Project I got going or wanting to do.

Modern/Close sci-fi/Post apoc

Twilight 2000
Vision: To recapture the old RPG twilight 2000 v2.2 into table top.
Rule set: Mostly Twilight 2000 V.2.2. Need to build a campain system.
Status: I´ve got a small squad american Soldiers based on Vietnam Soldiers (TAG) painted up to fit into how during late 80th early 90th vision how the uniforms would look year 2000. I´ve got 10 modern rangers (TAG) that are being painted with the same vision. I´ve got some big modern looking ruins made of foamboard.
To do: More USA infantry and vehicles. Eastern "terrorists" (TAG), Eastern Soldiers (TAG), Eastern elite infantry (TAG), Eastern vehicles, More ruins and modern looking terrain.
Tie ins: The rangers will be used in my UFO Project and so will the terrain and vehicles. Some Wasteland.

UFO
Vision: To turn the old computergame into tabletop.
Rule set: Assault squad - modified. A new Campaign rules.
Status: I´ve got some grey aliens need to buy some guns for them. I´ve got enough humans for a battle squad. Got civilian vehicles and human terrain. Got a small scout UFO.
To do: More aliens. More humans. More civilian terrain. More UFOs and Alien stuff. More military vehicles.
Tie ins: Twilight 2000. Wasteland.

Wasteland
Vision: Fallout inspired wargaming.
Rule set: Wasteland 3
Status: I´ve got miniatures that fits both as villians and heroes. I´ve got terrain to fit a small table and keep it varied.
To do: More critters. More heroes and allies. More villians.
Tie ins: Twilight 2000. UFO

Sci-fi

WH 40K / Dark Heresy
Vision: I´ve got it might as well use it.
Rule set: Skirmish based Dark Heresy
Status: Lots of IG both infantry and vehicles. Space marines enough. Some Tyranids. Lots of Ork infantry.
To do: Nuthin´ perhaps build some Dark Heresy/inquisitor stuff.
Tie ins: Tyranids into other sci-fi.

Mass effect/Infinity like sci-fi
Vision: A more high Tech futuristic space colony wargaming.
Rule set: Haven´t got a clue.
Status: I haven´t started but I am eye-balling Sarissa for terrain and Eisenkern as one force.
To do: Nothing right now.
Tie ins: Tyranids.

Platoon or larger scale sci-fi
Vison: bigger battles
Rule set: Stargrunt 2
Status: I´ve got 2 platoons of GZG 15mm and vehicles. I´ve got some 15mm space colony Buildings.
To do: Keep building up the colony and a star system to do battle over. Keep adding to the forces to give me more choices.
Tie ins: Full thrust Campaign

Space ship battles
Vision: Large battles in space.
Rule set: Full thrust.
To do: Nothing for the moment.
Tie ins: Stargrunt 2 Campaign

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Just structuring up my ongoing projects.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
Interesting list but are you looking for something?

Suggest that your tabletop if not permanents sits on top of another table.

Good luck

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »
Terrain is always my biggest issue. A game looks the best when there is nice painted terrain (to go with the painted models of course).

I have quite a bit of generic terrain that fits fantasy to sci-fi, such as generic hills, trees, rocks etc.

Buildings are a bit more tricky, but sci-fi buildings are not backwardly compatible in te way that "olde worlde" buildings can still be used in a modern or future setting...there ain't nothing like fighting tanks through an old bavarian village.

So I guess what I am saying is that I agree with your approach, having terrain in particular that crosses several different genres is the way forward.
So much to do, so little time...

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies both of you. I am really not asking anything in this thread. It is more a way for me to structure up what I want to do.

Also I hope to get some input from players who have the same issues. Perhaps some one will say. "Yeah, but you could by terrain X from Company Y.com. If you paint it wethered it could be used as a modern building and sci fi building."
That kind of thing.

Thanks, Coronasan. I Think you are into something there. Perhaps I should collect more "natural" terrain for a while. It will fit almost all Projects.