Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:21:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Throwing War, with Brian Blessed  (Read 5492 times)

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Throwing War, with Brian Blessed
« on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Rome II Total War is my new obsession, I am mad for my strategy games on the PC. I know this forum isn't really about computer games but many of you will enjoy this video, it's very entertaining; though obviously a beginner's guide. Still, anything with Brian Blessed is just fantastic to watch. Hope it's ok to post it in this section, it's not really about the game, just about Rome's missile abilities :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Throwing War, with Brian Blessed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
What a legend  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »
Great video!

Thanks!

Online Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
That's how documentaries need to be made.  :-*

I totally love the Total War series, but I've been holding off from buying this because I have heard there are some gameplay issues (long AI times and graphics issues), along with the fact that my PC will probably choke on this and die a horrible death. Regardless I will get it some stage in the future.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
As a second though, good old Brian should be what every school teacher should aspire too  :)

cheers

James

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
Its a great game so far, but yes there are a few glitches that need to be worked out of it.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:18:51 AM »
Well America you may have Chuck Norris! But we have the legend, the mighty, the polar bear punching and almighty Brian Blessed! Great video it's stuff like this and 'Orible Histories that will turn the young on to history!

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:24:21 AM »
I just love it when Grandpa Rabbit turns up in Peppa Pig....
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
Great film, I've re-posted it on my Blog.

Thank you for the heads-up.

Tony

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
I must be in a minority of one, as I find Brian Blessed one of our most irritating thespians(the only one who annoys me more is Julie Waters).

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
Excellent!!! Thanks for posting. RTW II is on my  Shopping list but Iīll probably Need a new PC
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
Great enthusiasm and good pace of explanation there. That's a nice way of educational presentation.
However, I find the excitement about the various methods of killing people a bit OTT to be honest. Tongue in cheek, all very well, I get that. And, yes, a scorpio is a man's toy. But all the giggling, "ahaha" and "ohoho" and slow-mo destruction of styrofoam heads filled with red powder – really? ::)

Apart from that, been a big fan of the first titles of TW, played Rome: Total Realism for ages. But is it just me or do the battle scenes from the latest version still look a bit dodgy?

Offline Colonel O Truth

• Scientist
  • Inventor of the non-stick Postit note.
    • Colonel O'Truth's Miniature Issues
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Brilliant! Love it!
Gluing my fingers together since 1973...

http://colonelotruth.blogspot.com

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
. RTW II is on my  Shopping list but Iīll probably Need a new PC

Just seen it Needs a steam account to run it.  >:(
Unless thereīs a way around having to have spy ware added to my PC ..it wonīt be in the x-mas stocking

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 04:01:41 AM »
I own Rome II (having previously owned Shogun, Medieval II, Rome, Empire, Napoleonic, Shogun 2...well you get the point...)

It's very confusing.  Shogun II was quite brilliant...beautifully executed, relatively bug-free, nice easy-to-learn design.  As a whole it had a very composed artistic feel to every aspect of the game.  Very polished feeling.   Rome II is the polar opposite.  Graphics are no better than Shogun II (at least not that I can tell).  Some serious issues with jaggy graphics on/off, and abysmal AI turn speed during a campaign (I mean 3-5 minutes...waiting...EVERY DAMN TURN).  While some neat ideas have been added (limited number of armies, easier to predict happiness/anger in your populations) everything else got worse.  They took the brilliant lay out of Shogun II and, well heck, they must have simply fired that whole team.

Building up your towns and locations is confusing, borderline frustrating.  Skills and research is laid out horribly.  Your generals and agents die within 4-8 years, so every couple of turns you're replacing generals after giving them a host of skills.  The family tree is hard to find/understand/maintain.  There is a hell of a lot of "change for change's sake".  Is it unbearable?  No, but it's definitely not a very well designed game.

There is a lot of time wasted giving your armies, agents, and generals traits and abilities which they can use for all of two or three turns before they're dead.  While this is advertised as a better change, there is little to no point to it.  The map is even laggy and my computer should be able to run it fine.  The map is also unattractive compared to previous maps.  Icons are poor and confusing.  Trading and relationships on the diplomatic screen are slightly confusing (though they have a handy breakdown of why a country does or does not hate you - though sometimes this information refuses to pop up).

Now I've recently downloaded some patches and I hope to God it gets better.  It's playable, but it's a horribly confusing title.  I do not understand why it is simply not as nice looking and laid out as Shogun II.  Perhaps it was simply the scope of the game  being too big (it's absolutely massive...).  In the past Creative Assembly has saved piss-poor titles (they went back and revamped Empire heavily once Napoleon was released, making it a much better game).  I'll still enjoy playing it on occasion, but I doubt I'll be investing the hundreds of hours I had in Napoleon etc.  If you're a Total War fan you'll probably find value in the game, just be prepared for a lot of "why the hell did they change that and make it worse?" moments.  :-I
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!