Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Plane Library  (Read 155413 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Pulp Plane Library
« Reply #750 on: June 04, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »
Figured this was the perfect addition to this thread.
3D printer version of the L-16 Seaduck from cartoon Talespin. Can't think of a better aircraft that screams Pulp Adventure! Haven't had a chance to download it so I'm not sure what the base scale is...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/223714109282

Oh wow, there's some serious childhood nostalgia and pulp adventure all rolled into one.

I remember watching the original four-part movie with the air pirates that they made before it became a series (which then retroactively became the pilot). Needs some of Don Carnage's, triple-decker airpirate pursuit planes to go with it!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:08:55 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Ipecactus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #751 on: June 05, 2020, 07:28:23 AM »
Oh wow, there's some serious childhood nostalgia and pulp adventure all rolled into one.

I couldn't agree more!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #752 on: June 05, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »
Cool 8) Just watched a clip,Don Carnages’ ‘planes are easily made...too tempting :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #753 on: February 15, 2021, 02:00:30 AM »
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #754 on: February 15, 2021, 09:42:39 AM »
Saw that Sarrisa pulp plane posted last night.
My goodness it’s ugly.
Flatpack

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #755 on: February 15, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »
I have to agree.
It's a half bothered design. There are some nice simple solutions involved in the wing struts and wheel assembly's
But the front end is just a mess. .
I'd like to be generous and say I'm not sure if it's a combination of an over worked paint scheme and a badly constructed kit.That's making it look worse than it is as it looks slightly better with floats and a different colour scheme
That said I'm tempted to get one just to see how naff it is.
What's worse It offended me to the point I'd figured out how to do a WIP/ tutorial so you could make one in an evening.
(Still a sneaking suspicion it's inspired by previous Tutorials. It wouldn't be the first time they'd made their own version.)

What suprized me more than the design is why they didn't go for a ww2 spotter plane or a Lysander..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:10:20 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #756 on: February 15, 2021, 07:20:31 PM »
That is one ugly goddamned plane. Why on earth did they do the nose as a stepped structure? YIKES.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #757 on: February 15, 2021, 09:27:01 PM »
One is tempted to say it’s all down to the limits of the medium but no, that’s not true. It’s just a truly crap design.

I suppose if they passed it off as an aircraft sized piñata they might find a market. Given that you can find any number of toy aircraft or even plastic kits for that price or better, I wish them luck.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #758 on: February 18, 2021, 07:23:43 AM »
One is tempted to say it’s all down to the limits of the medium but no, that’s not true. It’s just a truly crap design.

I suppose if they passed it off as an aircraft sized piñata they might find a market. Given that you can find any number of toy aircraft or even plastic kits for that price or better, I wish them luck.

Where? The closest aircraft I can get is the old Minicraft ones which are all nightmarishly expensive, especially considering their age.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #759 on: February 18, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
Revell still do a lot of 1/48 aircraft kits. Mostly fighter planes, but some others sneak in there as well -British S.E.5a on Amazon

I picked up a 1/48 lysander from Lindberg Models just over a year ago and I have an Italeri Cessna Skyhawk Amazon link as well as a Minicraft 1/48 Piper Cherokee floatplane.

The Cessna may be a bit too modern for traditional pulp, but there are several 1/48 seaplanes on Amazon just now that would work. Note, they're at really stupid prices on Amazon, but presumably can be found at more reasonable prices elsewhere.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #760 on: February 18, 2021, 12:22:40 PM »
Definitely can't go wrong with a seaplane.
Quite a lot of on people use a 1/48 Walrus ( myself included.)
Smer kits are definitely the way to go. For gaming piece they're old fashioned in their level of detail . However it's an advantage for gaming as the parts tend to be a bit chunkier than modern scale models( and they're heavier.) Part fits are always ideal. But think the best way to describe them is . If you think of them as a scale model then you'll be disappointed. But if think of them as a multipart metal kit and expect to fill the odd gap then you'll be happy.
But the most important thing is the price.
For a Smer 1/48 Walrus expect to pay £12-£15 for the Edward or Airfix versions expect to pay £35-£48.(I did quick price check on eBay before replying.)
Alternatively Ertl and Wing's of Texico diecast are good stand in There hard to get at a reasonable price in the UK( at the time of posting) But not impossible if you regularly search for them you can pick them up under the radar the ones in the picture. I managed to find with a bit of patience for less than £15 each ( the texico one came in.the collectors box which has morphed into a hanger .)

The photo from left to right .1/48 Smear Walrus. Ertl Goose(repainted), Wings of texico ( not abused for gaming as of yet.)
The Ertl version isn't as detailed or refined as the Texico version. But it does have the advantage of having the coin slot hidden under a hinged canopy.

Just for fun heres the majority of my pulp plane collection,and hopefully it shows you don't have to spend alot to achive a useful models ( 5 of which are cereal packet card builds.)
There's enough variation in the collection to represent planes in flight as well as on the ground or the water( several have flight stand holes on their bellies. In fact that's the cunning plan for the Texico plane too. Admittedly I'm a butterfly so I've no Idea when it'll happen.)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #761 on: February 18, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
I've just started rewatching Tales of the Gold Monkey and the Goose was definitely something on my "to get" list.

I didn't realise they even made one, so it's good to know that they do. Unfortunately, the only one I can see is on etsy (I don't do ebay). While it's not too expensive, the p&p from the States pushes it out of range for me.

What scale is it? Etsy says 7" long and 12" wide, which seems a bit small for 1/48. Wikipedia has it at 38ft long and 49ft wingspan, which would be 9.5" x 12.25" at 1/48. Seems slightly distorted as well, given those measurements.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #762 on: February 18, 2021, 10:50:11 PM »
Made a slight error in the names of the money boxes the one painted as Cutters Goose is normally sold under the Gearbox label.( It was originally bright yellow and red.)

I couldn't get into the draw the other two seaplanes are in (way way too much stuff in the way.) But I did manage to grab the Texico one as it was being used as a paper weight.
The picture should give you an idea of how they scale up with 28mm figures. It's roughly 25cm long and has a 31.5cm wingspan. Plus a rough Idea of the size of the other two.
If memory serves I think this was covered when I originally posted a picture of the ' goose' along side the Walrus a while back on the thread. I think there was a link to a Facebook page where someone had done a model kit Grumman Goose. Marked up as Cutters Goose.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #763 on: February 18, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »
And remember Pulp ‘planes don’t have to be pre WWII. I have a collection of WWII fighters,and a flying sub! All painted in a Crimson Skies style. Must photograph some day,though one or two can be found on the forum :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #764 on: February 19, 2021, 03:42:31 AM »
Where? The closest aircraft I can get is the old Minicraft ones which are all nightmarishly expensive, especially considering their age.

Maybe my luck is better than yours but over the years I've picked up a number of SMER, Lindberg, Revell and Monogram type kits for anywhere between $7- 20 AUD, which is about four to twelve quid.  That Sarissa monstrosity retails at about $21 AUD minus p&p. For around $30AUD I picked up a Roden 1/48 DH-4 a few months ago. I have a SMER Tigermoth that cost me the princely sum of around $11 and a Bristol bulldog (albeit incomplete) for $7.00 at the last edition of the annual Model Show here.

Bring and buy sales, a number of online retailers, sales in local shops and even ebay have all proved profitable.