Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:19:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re-thinking colonial wars (SAW in particular)  (Read 3235 times)

workerBee

Re-thinking colonial wars (SAW in particular)
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
Okay, let's assume I can afford to redo all my SAW and VSF figures, (not that I really think I can afford to do so,) but in a smaller size for space saving purposes.

While I am pretty sure I can pull it off in 6 mm, I am currently wondering if I could do it in 15 mm instead.

So, I know "somebody" makes SAW in 15 mm (or is it 18 mm?) but I have to re-research that serendipitous find (i.i., unintended Google hit,)from several years ago to find it again.

The questions are (in order,):

Who, in 15/18 mm, makes colonial figures in 15 mm for the late 19th/early 20th century?

Who, in 15/18 mm, makes Spanish-American War (SAW) figures?

Gracias,

Glenn

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:42:28 PM by workerBee »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Re-thinking colonial wars (SAW in particular)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
Alright, you lazy sod >:(, here you go: The Virtual Armchair General - but that's only for Spanish American War.

On the other front - well, just about everyone does Victorian Age colonials in 15/18 mm.  I will give you two links, one to my old Yahoo Group - find and use the links, if you can (the new yahoo is a pain) and the other is to a more current blog via Google, again use the much easier to find links.

And I'll be sending you a substantial bill for my efforts!   lol

Here's the links -

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FifteensFoundHere/info

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/

And as a start to paying off your deep indebtedness to me you can let me know of any really cool sources for 15 mm figures you find that aren't on either of those lists.

Now get busy.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
So, I know "somebody" makes SAW in 15 mm (or is it 18 mm?) but I have to re-research that serendipitous find (i.i., unintended Google hit,)from several years ago to find it again.

Who, in 15/18 mm, makes Spanish-American War (SAW) figures?

Are you thinking of Fantassin (WarModelling)?

http://www.warmodellingminiatures.com/index.php?id_category=37&controller=category&id_lang=1

or the UK stockist

http://www.warmodelling.co.uk/index.html

workerBee

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »
Hmm.

Off the top of my head I recall that Frontier Miniatures did 15mm SAW, but that seems to be one of those ranges which has gone walkies, and the only website I'm aware of is blocked by my antivirus so probably not a good idea to go onto it.

workerBee

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
Alright, you lazy sod >:(, here you go: The Virtual Armchair General - but that's only for Spanish American War.
<snip>

1)  Um, I guess this is an example when zooming too close to miniatures exposes every flaw/limitation?  Do they look better in "Real Life"?

2) I am thinking conversion to VSF (Gasmasks, PSB VSF "electric-rifles") might be more trouble than it's worth...

Darn, the space savings (from 25+ mm)  would be substantial.

Gracias,

Glenn

Back to "thinking" mode...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »
Glenn,

Sorry, can't say what they look like in real life.  But I know for certain that once a table top battle is begun in earnest, the quality of the sculpt and the paint job becomes superficial for most people.  So, go ahead and make the jump to 15 mm.  And be assured there are many figures available for VSF, etc, with more arriving pretty frequently.  And if you want super detail, you can get it.  I've seen a 15 mm figure painted with the front of a fusilier's hat having tiny crossed flags painted on - and the detail on the flags painted!  Astonishing, truly.  You can even paint in pupils in eyes.  The good part, though, is you don't need that level of detail here to have highly presentable figures.  In this scale, the goal is a gaming piece, not a work of art.  I greatly admire the artistic pieces but I also wonder if they get much use.  I prefer well battled veteran figures. 

Good luck.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »
The Three Foot rule is one I generally apply to all the scales/sizes of figures I use but I don't think I have seen 15 mm figure picture that were so close up before.  That was a bit startling.

Too bad there are no (that I know of) Soldados de Cuera in 15 mm.  Of course that would mean my pueblo would need to be sold/replaced.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:35:56 AM »
Glenn,

Any relation to Holland?

If you do make the jump be sure and get your order into Brigade Games early for their small offering in 15 mm.  You won't be disappointed.  I advise such because who knows when they might give up producing these since most of their offerings are in that crazy mega-scale!  o_o

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
Glenn,

Any relation to Holland?

If you do make the jump be sure and get your order into Brigade Games early for their small offering in 15 mm.  You won't be disappointed.  I advise such because who knows when they might give up producing these since most of their offerings are in that crazy mega-scale!  o_o

Holland?   ???

Yeah anything over 6 mm (or 3 mm really) is too large for mass battles...  ;)   lol

Gracias,

Glenn

Who really is liking 3 mm stuff for Modern Combined Arms, ACW, and Napoleonics.  Now if they just made GRAV/GEV for SF...