Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 763
Total: 768

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apoc/Futre Vehicle War type games list  (Read 16978 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Post-Apoc/Futre Vehicle War type games list
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
20mm weaps are easy enough to model, or convert from other scales.  I wouldnt worry about that.  If you mean pedestrians, bar none, the old GW Dark Future mini's are the way to go.  I have almost the whole line, they're really beautifully sculpted, in 20mm.  Elhiem also has nice stuff in 20mm, including WWII and modern weapons that can be converted for autocombat.

As for an 'out of the box' car game, Two Hour Wargames will be releasing

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=51403.0

Instead of a moving roadway it's based on a chariot racing game where the models stay in place the the roadway moves virtually.  Also, check out Evil Cartoonist's cars just for their aesthetic value!  And he uses home made weapons almost exclusively.

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »
Vehicle rules in Wastelands 3 Meltdown are pretty good. Its quite fun to run a road warriors gang, mounted in a couple of cars with 2-3 biker outriders. Easily run a vehicles only game with it.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:50 PM »
Was originally going to post that on the blog, but it might be of more use here. Scenery section not finished.

Cars, bits & weapons useful for vehicle combat games:[/u]

1:64 -  S scale/ gauge

Cars, bikes, trucks & pedestrians:
1:64 is the most common “scale“ (ratio actually) for die cast cars like e.g. Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Majorette or Siku. In reality, most are made to fit into the packaging and range from closer to 1:72 up to almost 1:56.
Some other companies mainly listed due to them offering a nice selection of classic 30s to 50s vehicles, Hot Rods and Muscle Cars (let's face it- everything else is just motorised chairs with wheels) :
Jada Toys (though their 1:64 cars are usually a bit chunkier & bigger than most other manufacturers'), M2 Machines, Johnny Lightning. Revell/ Monogram used to have some decent quality die casts as well, quite a few of them had one feature that makes converting them a whole lot easier: screws.

20mm vehicles, bits & weapons designed or useable for vcg:
While strictly speaking 20mm is closer to 1:72, most weapons should work relatively well with 1:64 diecasts.
Aberrant Games' Warlands vehicle  range and   Mac's Spare Parts

Stan Johansen's Road Warriors

TableTopScale dark-future Tauregs incl. Dirt bike

Elhiem Figures for pedestrians

Wargames Suply Dump – some bikes

CP Models has a couple  of minis that should work as pedestrians

SGMMhave a couple of minis that should work as pedestrians, also some pin up girls. Also stocking Mutineer Miniatures' African Moderns.

S&S Models Shop civilian vehicles including quads, a bike and a couple of heavily armed Toyota pick ups. Actually the whole post war section is worth a look.

MJFigures : Accesories (weapons, including bazookas & maortars). There's also a newscrew (might be entertaining as movable scenery), McCurdy's Armor (scenery)

Cell Entertainment's KRASH

Some of the robogear bits can be used as weapons or as base for scratchbuilding some.

Scenery

Ironclad Miniatures have some generic ruins, fences and a shanty town in 20mm.

GameCraft - shanty town, modular road system, mdf city buildings and more

Some people use H0 buildings, but to me they always look a bit wrong- too small in relation to the cars. With a little luck they can be very cheap and they're fairly easy to find, so I won't list manufacturers etc.

S scale railway stuff actually is 1:64, but a) not easy to find and b) not exactely cheap. Most manufacturers I found are located in the US.

If you don't mind printing & assembling the buildings (and have a printer that can handle larger than A4 sheets), Scale Scenes have a lot to offer. While the buidlings are available in N and OO, they can be resized (for S scale enlarge an OO scale building by 118% via your printer).

Haunted Dimensions - downloadable paper models, good if you want to to play a slightly more horror/ Halloween themed game. Might be good for a bit of silly fun with pumpkin launchers, ectoplasm guns, Ghostrider and possibly the wheeled equivalent of the flying dutchman (maybe a heavily armed truck painted 'ghostly' green). Most seem to be in ~ 1:66 and all are completely free.

http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm

http://www.barmillsmodels.com/

http://www.branchline-trains.com/index.html

http://www.gclaser.com/

http://grandtline.com

http://www.lionel.com (mostly trains though)

http://www.btsrr.com/

http://www.palacecarco.com/products.php?cat=27
Seats & sofas

http://www.frenchmanriver.com/Pages/S/sProduct.html

http://www.pinecanyonscalemodels.com/

Most of the buildings would be a bit to expensive for just a couple of games though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:06:24 PM by ink the troll »
sanity is for cowards

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Just noted lionel has a Ipad post apoc train war game.  lol
Actually the idea of arming up a train car wars style and running it against a gang of cars and bikes is quite awesome. I might just really need to do that.  :D

Should anybody in Europe be looking to order from Stan Johansen's road warrior stuff I would be interested in discussing combining shipping and then sorting the other half of the shipping out ourselves as it might seriously save money.

You know I have been pondering writing a racing game (including weapons) for quite some time now. Sprang forth from the idea of doing a race using the Mekton Zeta rules as their complexity always made us fidle with designs for hours. Don't think we actually ran a game in the end tough.  lol (really should some time)
But that got me thinking about making a slightly less granular but similar system focused on racing and vehicular combat. I imagined it having just as much options for high-tech stuff such as anti-grav and lasers as much as post poc, but these topics going on for a few days is really inspiring me. One of these days I really should finish writing a system to the point of playtest at least.  >:(

And to keep on rambling, I have been playing some ganesha games giant monster/robot games. And they have an interesting way of handling activations and actions that some of you might be familiar with from SoBaH or FL, only these games handle a single robot/monster like an entire war band with each body part having its own quality and combat value. In any case the whole risk reward system they have going on with activations really would fit well into post apocalyptic car combat systems I think? Who knows maybe he could be talked into writing a car wars system?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:58:51 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »
Some Robogear bits can be used for arming cars as well, others are good part donors:
http://inkthetroll.blogspot.de/2013/09/robogear-bits-as-weapons-for-164-cars.html

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »
Hmm, I have the mecha set from EM-4 and that might also serve as a source for some turrets now that I think about it.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
if your looking for more chunky looking parts for larger vehicles such as rigs or even trains  ;D Ramshackle games have an extensive range of bits they sell separate. Honestly if that guy made some stuff in 20mm scale... lol

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
if your looking for more chunky looking parts for larger vehicles such as rigs or even trains  ;D Ramshackle games have an extensive range of bits they sell separate. Honestly if that guy made some stuff in 20mm scale... lol

I take it that his site is all 28mm? dam he could be on a gold mine if he converted to 20mm.. I'd grab a lot of those bikers and drones.

LGW

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
Indeed it is 28mm, chunky 28 if I remeber corectly. If you take a look at his vehicles you notice everything comes in large blocky pieces you glue together yourself without predetermined atachement points, many pieces even have detail sculpted that gets covered up if you build the thing stock. I really plan to one day get a big box of his stuff and just build vehicles out of it not paying mind to the "standard" configuration. Like playing with legos. (I also heard he sels bags of miscasts for those more scratchbuild inclined but I can't confirm this)

Anyhow he is quite active on this forum so I'll go and shoot him a PM, I think he is actually quite bussy in the afthermath of a very sucesfull kickstarter.  lol But who knows he might be interested.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
(...) Anyhow he is quite active on this forum so I'll go and shoot him a PM, I think he is actually quite bussy in the afthermath of a very sucesfull kickstarter.  lol But who knows he might be interested.

pmed him earlier on as well, included a link to this topic.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
pmed him earlier on as well, included a link to this topic.
... Just PM'ed him and now I see your reply.  lol

well curtis if you read this sorry for the double poke I guess?

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
Yeah, got both your messages.

I loved Dark Future when it came out. Didnt do MUCH gaming with it but converted up alot of matchbox cars!

I would be very interested in doing some 20mm bikes, I think its a great idea. All my 28mm bikes sell really well, and I agree that matchbox scale gaming for cars is a good scale. I will jump on it asap.

Im not so sure about weapons packs though. THe resin I use is not that suitable for doing spindley bits, so gun packs would be out really. Same for extras, as the parts would end up too delicate for my hamfisted casting!

So as for bikes, what sort of things are suggested? A scrambler, a high performance road bike and a trike? WHat riders? A gang, or more of a mixed bunch?

How about bases? I tend to prefer integral bases. It makes for easier casting and means you can use the models straight out of the packaging, no need to do more. The bikes will be small, so bases will be needed anyway. THe dark future ones had integral bases didnt they?

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »
Also, I just read the bit about miscasts. I do indeed sell misscasts, at £7.50 per kg plus postage. The £7.50 is about £2 over cost of the resin (and addatives) so covers packing materials and time, its not a big proffit margin! Posatge can be a pain, so PM me with your location for a quote.

1kg is a big model, or 2 or 3 medium ones. Im happy to do miscasts to order as well. Most of the miscasts stock is left over resin that I pour into used moulds. It has bubbles in it as it is not vacuumed, but is great for conversions, scenery, rusty stuff etc.So Im happy to pull out any moulds really if you want particular parts.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
hm, was afraid you would say that about the resin.  :?  the models you do sell have a very sturdy look to them and I was thinking that might imply something on the nature of the resin. Still rather have a guy come out and say that rather then people spending money on something that really doesn't work in a particular medium (something that we have been seeing quite a bit with kick-starters actually)

Bike wise, the ones you mention are good but there are sources for those out there, mostly small companies like  Stan Johansen who do not have a big market presence and at times rather extreme shipping costs or other side notes so I think having those would still be worth it. A bike with sidecar is a staple I believe. Something I haven't been able to find is slightly cleaner looking bikes of the sort police would use. They look a bit studier and in fact the bikes in the dark future box looked more like this then like dirt bikes, so that might be an option.

Having some experience in casting I can see how an integral base would help so I can't blame you for using them. Not particularly sure what the general opinion on them is. However with something like a bike basing them might actually be pretty hard without some sort of integral base attacked to the wheels as you would not have enough contact surface.

I get what you are saying about not being able to do bits or weapons. Would complete vehicles in your trademark "lego block" style be doable? Separate hoods, cabs and rears plus undercarriages to mount them on. I have no idea if there is all that much interest in this as, like you say, toy cars are the thing, but it might just serve to fill some gaps left in aforementioned toy lines.

In any case really nice to see you jump in to the conversation like this. So many companies would just have send a "we are currently not planning on making [insert idea here] but thank you for your suggestion"  style replies.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
(...) Im not so sure about weapons packs though. THe resin I use is not that suitable for doing spindley bits, so gun packs would be out really. Same for extras, as the parts would end up too delicate for my hamfisted casting!
Good point.

Quote from: Ramshackle_Curtis
So as for bikes, what sort of things are suggested? A scrambler, a high performance road bike and a trike? WHat riders? A gang, or more of a mixed bunch?

For bikes: Maybe separate sidecars as well? One for passengers and one utility sidecar. Some heavier bikes that look more like the ones used by Highway police might be good as well.

For riders I'd suggest a mixed bunch first, depending on how well they sell or how many people ask for specific types you could always add more gang(ish) packs later on. E.g. a starter pack of 6 minis could feature 2 remotely traditional bikers, 1 copish/ uniformed looking one, 2 somewhat 80 punkish/ MadMax looking ones, 1 female wearing one of those leather suit thingies.

Quote from: Ramshackle_Curtis
How about bases? I tend to prefer integral bases. It makes for easier casting and means you can use the models straight out of the packaging, no need to do more. The bikes will be small, so bases will be needed anyway. THe dark future ones had integral bases didnt they?

Don't like integral bases personally, but for the bikes they'd probably make things easier. Probably some that aren't super chunky would be a good idea- relatively easy to remove but still easier to cast for you than if the bikes had no integral bases at all.

I wonder if some scenery bits like gasoline/ petrol pumps would be viable from a sales point of view.