Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BF&S: Swedes vs Winged Hussar patrol AAR  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
BF&S: Swedes vs Winged Hussar patrol AAR
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
This weekend I got to try out by newly painted up Reiters and historical commanders for theLithuanian Winged Hussar skirmish list for By Fire & Sword against my friend Andreas who ran his usual Swedish skirmish force.

The forces in this game

Lithuanian Winged Hussar list/ "Gosiewski Foray": 11FSP

Colonel Wincenty Gosiewski (4 command points)
Lieutenant Colonel Herman Gantzkopf (1 command point)
3 bases of Winged Hussars
5 bases of elite Reiter's
4 bases of cossack style cavalry
3 bases of Dragoons

Swedish force: 8FSP

Colonel (4 command points)
6 bases of New Type infantry
6 bases of unarmored Reiter’s (4 with pistols, 2 with arquebus)
1 regimental gun.

As the weaker player and defender my opponent badly wanted to roll for the "River crossing" scenario, but his three scenario dice generated "Battle of patrols", "Ambush" and "Foraging supplies". The latter two would force him to be very offensive with his small force against my superior numbers. So he chose "Battle of patrols", which at least gave him 3 side effect dice to even out the differences in army strength.

The three side effect dice generated "Good day/Bad day", "Panic!" and "Choice of battlefield". The way the effects played out: my colonel (Gosiewski) lost 1 point of command due to having a bad day. A wheat field was placed in my deployment zone to slow down my units, and the panic result struck my Reiter squadron which started the scenario "Disorganized"!

As the Lithuanians had 8 points of reconnaissance more than the enemy, I got to pick flanking maneuver and forward deployment for two companies. I skipped the forward deployment, but put my Dragoons to flank the enemy - I would start to roll for them at the end of turn 3.

The battle looked like it would be a pushover, but was surprisingly even and fierce - it also almost ended a Lithuanian disaster in the final moments of the battle and only pure luck saved the day!

Check the full AAR and more pictures from the game over at my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/09/swedes-vs-lithuanian-winged-hussar.html

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: BF&S: Swedes vs Winged Hussar patrol AAR
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
Great looking army!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »
Thanks, I also didn't realize that I had subconsciously painted my Reiter's pretty much identical to my friend Andreas Swedish Reiter's. I look forward to seeing him borrow my Reiter's and run the cavalry heavy Swedish skirmish force which I think is a very strong opponent to face.

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
I agree, what a great looking army. Always impressed with your painting skills & look forward to seeing more AAR's. However, on a more serious note, stop tempting me with this damn game. I simply can't afford it at the minute  lol
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
Excellent looking game and figures.  Thanks for sharing!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
I agree, what a great looking army. Always impressed with your painting skills & look forward to seeing more AAR's. However, on a more serious note, stop tempting me with this damn game. I simply can't afford it at the minute  lol

I am at the moment waiting for my last couple of Kickstarter minis to arrive (Polish-Hungarian/Lan infantry) and then I am at last finished with the Polish-Lithuanian army! Which means I will have free hands to pick up a second BF&S project which I have already decided to be (and being limited to) skirmish level Cossacks  ;D

It will be a nice break to paint a 95% infantry force after having painted a 95% cavalry force!

Then there is a large parcel with Empire of the Dead minis heading my way and should be here next week or the week after that so I will get to paint some 28mm miniatures again after a very long break from that scale and my beloved gothic horror genre.