Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Order of the Golden Dawn: a Company for IHMN  (Read 5390 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Order of the Golden Dawn: a Company for IHMN
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:33:27 AM »
While researching Victorian London, I came across the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, and decided that it would make a good Company for In Her Majesty's Name. There is a great deal out there about the Golden Dawn, although my research was limited to the internet. Many intellectuals, writers, poets, and artists of the day were attracted to the Order. I have selected a handful of them, including the poet W. B. Yeats and actress Florence Farr (who actually headed the order for a time) and assembled a group that, while perhaps sub-par in the fighting and shooting categories (they are a bunch of pansy intellectuals, after all), can sling a lot of Mystical Power. The Order had four Elemental Weapons, and I have imbued those with four new Mystical Powers (although you may recognize one of the new Powers from an earlier post).

The PDF runs six pages: I guess I grew somewhat obsessed with the project, just as my fictional version of Florence Farr became obsessed---possessed would be more like it---with the goddess Isis.

You can find it here:
http://wrgmr.com/goldendawn.pdf

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE PDF FILE, THIS LINK WILL DOWNLOAD THE COMPANY IN MICROSOFT WORD:

http://wrgmr.com/goldendawn.docx

Sorry to everyone who had troubles with the PDF. I have no idea what happened!

Enjoy.
Mike O.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:23:34 PM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Order of the Golden Dawn: a Company for IHMN
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:52:34 AM »
I couldn't access the pdf (404 error). Bad url?
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:47:02 AM »
Ditto. Can't access it.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »
Me too. It sounds good too!

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
I don't know what to say: I checked the link after I posted, and it was, and is now, working fine for me. I re-uploaded the file just in case, and it still seems to be working. Is anyone else having problems?

Mike O

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »
If you're having problems with the PDF, download this Microsoft Word file:

http://wrgmr.com/goldendawn.docx

Hope that works for you.

Mike O

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
Interesting force - I may have to steal some of your ideas.

I suggest you lose the options for grenades, carbines and military rifles as it makes this group intellectuals with no military background more heavily armed than the police and a match for the rank and file in Lord Curr's company for firepower.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:13:34 PM by Bullshott »
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
Trust the force Luke  ;D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »

I suggest you lose the options for grenades, carbines and military rifles as it makes this group intellectuals with no military background more heavily armed than the police and a match for the rank and file in Lord Curr's company for firepower.

I originally did not include the rifle for the Neophytes: running around in public in hooded robes would attract a certain amount of attention, but at least pistols/shotguns/carbines could be easily concealed under the robes. But I threw it in at the last minute to give the Company some kind of firepower other than Mystic Powers.

After all, the Neophytes are not exactly the wretched poor and could easily obtain, say, a Mauser C96, or just about any weapon they chose. And secondly, they are lousy shooters/fighters with FV/SV of zero, unlike the Incorriglbles' +1/+2 (plus Brigandine armor). Whatever weapons they have, they're not very good with them. It did occur to me also to differentiate the Neophytes from the Servants of Ra cultists, and making them more, well, “civilized.” Akhenaton’s bunch, if able to close, have some characters with devastating FV, something notably missing from the Golden Dawn, so my thought was to give the Company some firepower that would help correct that deficiency. The aim of this Company is to thwart the Servants of Ra and obtain the necessary mystic artifacts to return Isis to the Physical Plane. They are charged only to deal force against those Outsiders who "get in the way." This is not the type of group to get into a slugfest; they, given the proper collection of Mystic Powers, want to hit hard, and get out fast.

Plus, I admit, the idea of a ragtag collection of poets and actors charging the enemy point-blank to hurl grenades—-badly---had a certain appeal.

Anyway, if you're running a 250-point company, buy all the characters, and somehow use the maximum points for Mystic Powers, you won't have anything left to buy Neophytes, making it a moot point.

And Craig, a quote from that noted Mystic Luke Skywalker: "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters." Wonder what his SV is?

Good points, gentlemen, well taken. Removing the rifles and grenades from my poor Neophytes is perfectly acceptable.

I was rather hoping, however that someone would give me more ideas about suitable miniatures for the lovely Florence Farr. Ah, well…..

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:58:37 AM »
Take a look at the dark sword website. They have a lot of very well sculpted female mage figures - use their miniature finder to pull up related figure types. These two are rather nice and still mostly clothed.
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/female-mage-with-staff.html
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/featured/wood-elf-goddess-avatar-form.html

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »
One of Dashiel Hammet's short novels (name forgotten), involved a group that was based on The Order of The Golden Dawn.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »
Yeah. I picked up quite a few of their figures at GenCon. Jim & staff were really friendly and they have some wonderfully sculpted figures. Really great work by their painters too.  Hopefully one of them can earn a spot in your new Order.  :)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
And Craig, a quote from that noted Mystic Luke Skywalker: "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters." Wonder what his SV is?

Probably pretty crap without the Force  lol

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 02:48:46 AM »
Did you consciously choose to omit Aleister Crowley from your list of Golden Dawn members? The self-proclaimed most evil man in the world would make a great bad guy. Of course, it would skew your whole Isis theme you've got going.

(OK, admittedly Crowley didn't join the Golden Dawn until 1898, but still.)