Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:48:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tin Man miniatures Barsoomish minis KS  (Read 17995 times)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
Re: Tin Man miniatures Barsoomish minis KS
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Its not looking good for this kickstarter. Kicktraq predictions are grim. I still think they went about this backwards; give us squads of martian soldiers and cool character models, then throw in the sexy nudie gals as stretch goals. I need Martian infantry, I got enough nudie gals already. I hope Tinman tries this kickstarter again with the goals and offerings reorganised so as to be more successful. Sorry if I seem like a naysayer calling this KS dead before the finish line. I hope I'm wrong  :?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
Eh, it'll be tough to figure out. I have no use for the squads, and would rather have a few individual figures, which is what I pledged for.

I'm actually very sick of kickstarters with one or two nice exclusive figures that you can only obtain by pledging heavily. I'm willing to pay a premium in many cases for a figure that supposed to be a special reward etc., but not $50, $100 or whatever for a squad of guys I have absolutely no use for, then scrambling later to try and buy the exclusive figure secondhand (trying this right now with the forthcoming Hell Dorado Twilight Knight). That situation is enormously frustrating, almost as bad as random figure packs.

Anyway, I hope John can retool a bit and perhaps launch a new KS campaign. If people do want squds, then clearly a few should be on offer as base level choices rather than unlocks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:16:47 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline sculptingfool

• Assistant
    • TinMan Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
Ending soon.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
As expected for the past week or so, this didn't come off, but John's going to retool the campaign and do a new one soon enough.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
As expected for the past week or so, this didn't come off, but John's going to retool the campaign and do a new one soon enough.

It's unfortunate that this wasn't funded, but I do hope he moves forward with some of these figures.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
Take two is underway:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1331568821/lost-worlds-princesses-and-more-mars-barsoom

P&p to U-rope is still unearthly :?

Cool, I'm glad they're giving it another go.

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 01:49:01 PM »

P&p to U-rope is still unearthly :?

Postage for a 3oz bubble mailer is $8.88 to most of Europe. Our post office decided at the beginning of the year to raise international small package shipping by 70%. It's frustrating to ship someone a single miniature and have the shipping cost more than the mini. But it's the harsh reality at this point.

We need teleporters.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
My comments on it from yesterday:

Looks good, but a large number of figures have been stripped out of this. It was explained that they will be added in as soon as the project funds, but nothing about the other "coming soon" minis, like the princess, the other sisterhood assassins, etc. .

This time, I think I'll hold off until it hits the minimum and we see what's unlocked, but I'll probably buy in again.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
What scale are these normally in?

Ikore    Artizan    Tinman    Tinman    Hasslefree Copplestone Freebooter Copplestone BlackScorpion

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »
It's frustrating to ship someone a single miniature and have the shipping cost more than the mini
I suppose it is at that. Regardless of that, it has to be a very nice ca. 30mm miniature indeed to get $18 from me. Crossover managed to work around the problem in his Minions KS by (a) offering sets so there was no huge overhead per miniature and (b) presumably by absorbing about half the p&p cost at his end (his lowest pledge was $4 for p&p). Point (a) doesn't really help tho when base cost per miniature is about $10 so that basically leaves option (b) to get any money at all from me. Sad but true.

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
There are plenty of KS projects I do not back because the shipping cost plus inevitable import duties makes them prohibitively costly and no better than waiting till they're on general release a year later. Happens all the time. However, I do understand the situation they're in and it's not great.

If you pay $18 for a figure, then $9 of that is postage, never mind packing materials and staff time. Then there are KS and Amazon transaction processing fees before you even think about paying for the concepting, sculpting and casting time or material cost of the figure itself. And then you should amortise something of you general running costs if you want to work out a realistic profit, which I doubt is going to amount to a lot. If he eats some of the shipping cost himself then he's basically paying you to take the figures.

So yes, shipping is a pain for the end user, but it loses plenty of sales for the project and isn't fun for them either.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 02:53:50 AM »
That's part of the reason I'm hanging on. I'm used to buying pricier minis, so I don't balk at $10 or $15 per mini if they're really nice, but paying the same again for shipping stings. If he brings back the models from last time, then I'll get three, or even more minis, so the shipping hit doesn't feel as bad.

In any case, this one's looking good so far. They're already close to 4/5ths funded, so this one should at least get off the ground.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:19:30 AM by FramFramson »