Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ensign Alex and the Missing Archeologist - Chapter 3 -The Stranger  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
Ensign Alex and the Missing Archeologist - Chapter 3 -The Stranger
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:48:48 AM »
Ensign Alex of Harbor Patrol and the Missing Archeologist - Chapter 3 -The Stranger!

A Larger then Life Batrep!

Chapter 1 can be found here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=57724.0
Chapter 2 can be found here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=57938.0

Shang Kong Harbor, 1937

Ensign Alex and Helen Schiffer walked thru the deserted stacks of the American College’s excellent library.
   “I know it’s late but I hope Ms. Blucher is still here.” Alex said as they turned into the hallway leading to the librarian’s office.
   “Can I help you?” Came a sultry voice from behind them.
   Alex turned with an assured smile. “Tess, I didn’t know you were still here.”
   A sharp looking assistant librarian in her early twenties looked down at him over her glasses. Though her smile was warm, her eyes were not. “What are you doing here this late Ensign? The Library closed 3 hours ago. And don’t you remember, your lending privileges have been revoked.” She said coolly.
   Alex’s smile faded somewhat, “I’m sorry Tess. We badly need some help. Tess, this is Helen Schiffer, archeology student. Helen, this is Tess Wintergreen, the assistant librarian here.”
“Hello.” Helen said politely, arms folded firmly across her chest.
“Could you please take a look at this?” Alex asked, stepping over to one of the large oak reading tables and placing a photo of a small idol into the light.
“Good Lord!” Tess exclaimed as she examined the photo, “Where ever did this come from?”
“That’s what we’re trying to find out, because where that is, is where Professor Tobias Green, Helen’s uncle, may be.” And as Tess looked up at them added, “He’s fallen in with Dr. Lo Fang, and we’re trying to decipher the writing on the idol.”
“Please, can you help us?” Helen asked, her voice breaking.
Tess gave Helen a sympathetic look, “Well I can tell you that the book you need to translate those markings would be a copy of the Necronomicon. And before you ask, we don’t have a copy here, but I think Lovecraft might have one. He has a bookstore over on Paper Street. Ask to see what he has in the back. The Necronomicon won’t be out front with Hemmingway or Poe.”
“Thank you Tess.” Alex said as Helen put the photo back into her handbag.
“That’s another one you owe me McAlister.”

Alex and Helen walked out of the bookstore dejectedly. Lovecraft didn’t have an original printing of the Necronomicon, only a partial copy of a copy. Lovecraft let them look at it, for a price. They were able to translate only one word of the markings on the idol, a word that made no sense to either of them. Cthulhu.
After their experience in Old Town, Alex had been keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings as they walked, and as they crossed Whisky Street, he spotted Lieutenant Clancy from Naval Intelligence walking out of a bar.
“Lieutenant Clancy!” Alex called as loudly as he dared, not wanting to attract unwanted attention.
“Ensign McAlister. Ms. Schiffer.” Clancy replied stiffly, sounding a bit inebriated. “What do you want Ensign?”
Alex was in a hurry and so went straight to the point. “Sir, do you know anything about something called Cthulhu?”
“Cthulhu?” Clancy murmured, wobbling slightly as he stood there. “Not really, only that ole Doc Gnaf on Black Street will give good money for anything related to it. Why? Does this have something to do with that blasted map the Admiral’s been on our case about?”
“Maybe.” Alex answered leading Helen away. “Thank you!”

“It’s a shame Doctor Gnaf was away. That tablet of his could have been a big help.” Helen said with a barely suppressed yawn, their running around chasing information had kept them up into the wee hours last night. “Do you think she’ll help?”
“If Tess knows anything about Cthulhu, she’ll steer us true.” Alex assured her as they waited for the library to open.
“Can’t keep away can you McAlister?” Tess jibed as she walked up and unlocked the heavy oak doors.
“Tess, can we talk?” He asked, nodding away from the trickle of students walking in.
She led them back into the sorting room. “Well, what can I do for you now?”
“Do you know anything about Cthulhu?”
Tess gave him a queer look before saying, “Just what have you gotten into this time? I really don’t know anything about it, but I know of something that might help.” She took them to the art section and pulled out a Shang Kong Auction House illustrated catalog from 6 month ago. She opened to a full page photo of the Cthulhu tablet.
“Is that the tablet Doctor Gnaf bought?” Helen asked, studying the picture with a magnifying glass she had just pulled from her handbag.
“Yes.” Tess answered, watching them.
Pulling a copy of the map found on the pirate junk from her bag and compared the map and the picture of the tablet.  “All I can make out on the map is that there is something called the Rock of Ryleh in the Forest of Blood and that the Rock points the way to the door.” Helen looked up at Alex and Tess, “What door to where?”
“Well the Forest of Blood is south of JuiJang,” Tess volunteered, then adding at Alex’s look, “according to the Mai Ming Scrolls over at the Shang Kong Museum.”
“That’s warlord country.” Alex stated. “There are at least three warlords fighting for control down there and more bandits then you can shake a stick at. Not to mention the Communist infiltration that’s been going on there recently. Overall, not a nice place to visit, still I can get there by taking the Barracuda down along a branch of the Jade River.” Looking earnestly at Helen, “I shouldn’t be gone more than four or five days.”
“You’re not going without me!” Helen insisted, her voice loud in the quiet library. “I’ve traveled half the world to find Uncle Tobias, I’m not stopping now!”
Tess frowned as she watched them.
“The Admiral would have my head if I took you into Warlord country. We know the Lo Fang has his thugs looking for you. If you we to fall into Warlord hands…” His voice trailed away as he tried to shake the terrible image from his mind.
Helen placed her hand on Alex’s arm, “I’ll be fine, with you there.”
Tess had seen enough. “I’ve got to get to work.” She said sharply, “McAlister, good luck.”

The Barracuda left Shang Kong Bay heading up the wide Jade River. Whilst Alex steered them clear of the busy river traffic, Helen sat on deck playing with Sarge, Chief’s big bulldog and the Barracuda’s unofficial mascot, and gaped at the strange sights and sounds of China. Around midday the next day, they steered off onto a tributary that had less and less traffic on it until they were alone on the water about an hour before sundown when the river snaked past the edge of the Forest of Blood.
“Well from here we’re on foot.” Alex said. “Chief, if we’re not back by seventeen hundred hours tomorrow, or if you see my flare, radio for help but do not leave the Barracuda unattended.”
“Yes sir.” Chief replied glumly. He was clearly not happy at being left behind. “Sir, take Sarge at least.”
“Ok.” Alex said with a smile as he slung a musette bag over his shoulder. “Set up the maxim too, just in case. Men, lets go.”
Turning to Helen, he handed her a Colt. “Just in case.”

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
Re: Ensign Alex and the Missing Archeologist - Chapter 3 -The Stranger
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:49:50 AM »
This will not be a standard, stand up fight game but more of a find the clue game and as so the following home rules [heavily inspired by ATZ] are in place.

1-Find the Rock of Ryleh - Hero’s must find the Rock of Ryleh by searching each clump of jungle. Roll 2d6 vs difficult number of 2.
   Pass 2D –found Rock of Ryleh, solve Clue per rules
   Pass 1D –found a clue, +1d next search roll
   Pass 0D –Complication, -1D next roll
   Rock of Ryleh not found after all clumps searched? Too bad so sad… Did you translate the map correctly?

2-Possible Enemy Forces PEFs-3 PEFs with a Rep of 3 start the game on the board
   -When activated they move 1d6” in a random direction, ignoring terrain.
   -When PEF is in sight, roll 1d6 and resolve on chart below
      1-Pirate Patrol, determine opposition per LTL rules –Fights on
      2-Roll on Ancient Civilization* List pg19, No Demon
      3-It was nothing, just nerves
      4-Parrot Squawks in your face and flies away, it was nothing
      5-roll on creatures list pg 19
      6- ‘The Stranger’, roll 1d6, 1-2 Popeye, 3-4 Gen Chang’s Con, 5-6 The Frenchman
         *Resolve with Interaction rules pg 37

3-Random Event –Whenever doubles are rolled for activation, roll 1d12 and consult the following chart;
   1-Found a clue, add 1d6 to next “Find the Rock” roll
   2-Find a clue,  1st time-pirates were here already*
         2nd time-Professor Green was with the Pirates
         3rd time-Lo Fang was with the pirates
      *Add 1d6 on ‘Gaining the upper hand’ roll vs pirate patrol
   3-find clue that helps stops Lo Fangs ultimate plan
   4- scorpions swarm from jungle and attack
   5- disturb beetles swarm from jungle and attack
   6- snakes swarm from jungle and attack
   7-minor earthquake, 1d all roll next activation
   8-it starts to rain heavily, movement reduced to max of 6”
   9-I think I heard something, add 1 PEF on board in random location out of sight
   10-Up all PEF’s Rep by 1
11-Death Sand- roll 1d6, 1-4 small pit [rep 3], 5-6 Big Pit [rep 5]
   Resolve as melee, ie roll Rep for successes, consult chart below;
      2d6-people climb out of pit/pit inflicts 1 wound & -1 rep
      1d6-people near edge +1 rep next turn, people tire -1 rep next turn
0d6-keep head above water continue next turn
      12- Found a clue, add 1d6 to next “Find the Rock” roll

4-Dense Jungle, visibility limited to 6”
-all figures considered in cover that are not in base to base contact
-jungle terrain pieces are representative and may be moved as game play requires. 

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:59:06 AM »
Ensign Alex, Helen, Seaman 1st Class Jones and Sarge the Marine Bulldog headed into the jungle in the direction Helen thought the map indicated the Rock would be.

As they pressed into the bush, Sarge's ears perked up and he gave a low growl.
"What is it boy?" Jones asked, as they warily looked into the dense bush. After a moment, Sarge relaxed and they pressed on.
"Did you see that?" Helen asked, pointing excitedly.
"No." Alex replied as Helen recklessly pushed thru the jungle.
"Ah HA!"

Helen giddily pulled out her notebook and began copying the runes carved onto the glistening crystal. Something about the pictoglyphs made Alex feel uneasy. It felt as if the jungle were pressing down on him.

Suddenly they all heard something crashing thru the jungle towards them.

"Popeye?" Alex incredulously as his father's longtime friend came running towards them, a crazy look in his eye. Without barely a pause he walked up and clipped Alex on the chin, the world started to spin but he kept his feet and started swinging back.

They went back and forth, Popeye swinging wildly as Alex looked for an opening. Stepping under a viscous haymaker, Alex stepped in and landed an uppercut that finally dropped the famous Sailor man.

As Alex stands panting over the unconscious Popeye, an ominous rustling noise was heard and a pair of deadly Blood Scorpions came rushing towards them.

As they turned towards this new threat, the ground beneath Helena nd Jones turned to mush! They had been standing on Death Sand!

Helen flunders tiring quickly as Jones deftly keeps his head up.

As Sarge charges the scorpions,
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:02:54 AM by Amalric »

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:01:09 AM »
Alex rushes to Helens aid.

Sarge rips one, then the others head off with nary a scratch!

Jones clambers out of the Death Sand as Alex feels Helens hand slip from his.

And she sinks screaming out of sight.

Jones hears something that turns out only to be another excited parrot.

Sarges rushes over to Jones as Alex dives into the Death Sand after Helen!

And pulling her exhausted body free.

Alex helps Helen as Jones carries Popeye and they head out, only to stumble upon a pair of viscous Red Worms!

Alex shoots one down.

Sarge quickly crushes the throat of the other Worm and they flee back to the Barracuda as the sun sets on the jungle.

What do the markings on the Rock of Ryleh Mean?
Why was Popeye there and why did he attack them?
Stay tuned for Chapter 4 -The Ambush!

Another fun game of LtL. Alex and co found the Rock on turn 4 at the edge of the board, I thought this was going to be a cake walk. Then when all they had to do was get off the board, the PDFs and random events turned ugly. The fight with Popeye was unexpected as I thought I would easily make the Interaction roll, but nope. Luckily Alex won that fight. Sarge was a big hit, easily winning the fights vs scorpion and worm who each had higher Reps then he. All in all, another fun game with unexpected turns. Thank for looking.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 05:06:35 AM »
I'm sorry for cutting the AAR up into multiple posts, but I kept getting error messages when trying to post it as 1 post.
 :-[

Is there a size limit to posts?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
Is there a size limit to posts?

Maybe. There may also be a limit on the number of characters per post, and some forums also have a limit on the number of url's per post.

Great chapter, as always, Amalric! Are these all solo-scenarios?

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »
Another great chapter in this adventure. Really looking forward to the next one! An appearance by Bluto might be on the cards then?

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:22:41 AM »
Another GREAT AAR.

I really enjoyed reading all the weird events that suddenly happened to the heroes.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:36:04 AM »
First time I've seen Popeye get decked ever. Such is pulp. ;)

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Great chapter, as always, Amalric! Are these all solo-scenarios?

Dave, yes. Larger than Life is primarily a solo campaign set or rules driving the story to the final showdown with the big baddy. The scenario's are very loosely defined, leaving it to the player to fill in the details. Sort of how in Pulp Alley the players define what exactly the peril is when a card is used.

In this campaign, at the beginning I decided that the bad guy as the evil Dr Lo Fang who was trying to unleash some bad thing with the coerced help of Prof Greene and that Lo Fang needs Helen to accomplish this. I then set up the 1st game based on this concept. After that I rolled on the various campaign driving charts in the LtL rules representing Alex and Helen's off the game table looking for info, ie clues, as to where the good Prof was. This off table clue searching is what I translated into my badly written pregame story above. You have to find a certain number of clues, or objects, to get to the final showdown with the bad guy. All sorts of twists and turns can occur. I rolled up that Alex and Helen were intercepted as they went about their clue hunting and that lead to game 2 in the alley. Afterward the game I went back to the various campaign driving charts. I decided I wanted to try a game that involved more then just direct combat and so I merged the clue hunt onto the tabletop resulting in the game 3 above. I was inspired to do so by Pulp Alley as well as by a couple of other rule sets by two hour wargames that I have. What I really enjoy with these rules is the whole ever changing campaign story arc nature of this game rather then just fun one off games. The rules by two hour wargames have been called role playing lite and I think this is an apt description. I hope this answers your question.

An appearance by Bluto might be on the cards then?
In pulp one never knows whats around the next corner.

First time I've seen Popeye get decked ever. Such is pulp.
True. But if Popeye had been in his right mind, I am certain he would have made short work of young Alex.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
Where is the dog with campaign hat from?
This is my boomstick!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind