Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Perilous Island, Chapter 4 - SOERABAJA MANHUNT  (Read 9785 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley - Perilous Island, Chapter 4 - SOERABAJA MANHUNT
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »
This is scenario #4 in the Pulp Alley, Perilous Island campaign -- Soerabaja Manhunt. The AAR below was played with three leagues/players. Note - I used some colored counters in some of the photos below. These are only used to illustrate the action and are not part of the game.

Using the address on the package sent to E.J. Demas, you arrive in Soerabaja, Indonesia. Inquiries into Lord Darrow’s activities reveal that he had befriended a mad Old Sailor who spoke of a lost island inhabited by man-eating lizards, tribes of flesh hungry cannibals, and other unfathomable terrors.

Lord Darrow spent many weeks alone with the Old Sailor before departing on his expedition to “locations unknown”. Although the Old Sailor departed with Lord Darrow, he mysteriously reappeared with two other members of the Darrow Expedition in a local hospital, the Old Sailor nearly blinded by exposure from the sun.

After the mysterious deaths of the other two survivors, the Old Sailor escaped the hospital and is rumored to be hiding in the back alleys of Soerabaja. Can you find the crazy Old Sailor and learn what he knows?

The Old Sailor (Major Plot Point) — Homeless, nearly blind, and mostly mad, the Old Sailor is the only known survivor who has seen Perilous Island. Somewhere in his mad ramblings lie the clues to finding Lord Darrow.

In Hiding — Finding the Old Sailor will require a bit of investigation, luck, and questioning the locals around these locations --
• Gimpy’s Bar
• St. Lawrence Catholic Mission
• Café Perkasa
• Red Bridge Hostel
• De Zondebok & Het Zwarte Schaap Pub

Red Herring — This scenario includes the red herring rule.

Pulp Girl rounds a corner and spots an odd looking fellow shambling towards her with menace in his eyes. In a fraction of a second her Red 9 was in her hand and she fired four shots. Two hit the fellow’s head, two hit his chest, and he hit the ground…

On the old dock, Hook questions a talkative fisherman who knows where the Old Sailor is hiding and is quite happy to share the information for an appropriate amount of coins…

From atop a high structure, Hook’s marksman keeps Pulp Girl’s colleagues pinned down in the street…

Jason shoulders his Springfield, but Bowler’s trusty Bull Dog revolver finds its mark first. Jason goes down…

“Don’t worry, I was a lion tamer in the circus. Here, kitty-kitty…”

Jason struggles back to his feet as Bowler rushes him. This time, the butt of Jason’s rifle clips Bowler chin. Bowler decides to rest for a moment… in the dirt… on his face…

Everyone’s favorite Badonka begins talking to a local who seems to know more than he’s saying…

And on the far side of the dock, Pulp Girl finds a local matching the Old Sailor’s description, but she comes under heavy fire from Hook and his minions…

Suzy puts Tuppy the Terrier down, and Jason also finds an interesting local to chat with...

Meanwhile, Mak finally finds someone he’s sure is the Old Sailor! …It’s not. Mike blocks Kami from interfering with Mak and chases her away with his expert timing, which is just a wee bit frightening…

Slowly, a lone figure works his way to the rear of Badonka…

Bowler rises to his feet just in time to taste Suzy's high kick. Unconsciousness saves Bowler from any further humiliation this day…

Coming in from behind, a thug jumps Badonka but she quickly spins and ko’s her assailant with sharp savage strikes…

Hook and Badonka trade shots and both are injured…

Hook’s sniper ambushes Mak as he moves to help Pulp Girl…

Turn #5 and the Old Sailor has not been located. Time is running out! A mysterious assassin moves unseen and unerringly towards his target…

Mak moves to intercept one of Hook’s hounds as it runs towards Pulp Girl. His Colt revolver stops the beast in its tracks…

Pulp Girl has located the Old Sailor! Caught in a cross-fire, Pulp Girl somehow avoids injury and even manages to knock Hook’s sniper from his perch…

In the confusion, Pulp Girl escapes down a narrow side-street and is questioning the Old Sailor about the Darrow Expedition. Suddenly the old man slumps forward, an assassin’s bullet in his back…

Peace washes over the Old Sailor’s leather cracked face. With his last breath, he reveals several important pages of Darrow’s personal journal, one containing the coordinates of Perilous Island!

Next week!
On this forum!
Prepare for savage adventure in the... LAGOON OF TERROR!

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

Re: Pulp Alley - Perilous Island, Chapter 4 - SOERABAJA MANHUNT
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:30:56 AM »
Classic.  ;)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:51:14 AM »
We just finished playing a Hidalgo Fire ourselves. I wish I had boards like those. Oh well, can't have it all. Anyway, Lagoon of Terror - the one I've been waiting for!

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
Great stuff!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »
Marvellous stuff! I am really enjoying this adventure. Lagoon of terror sounds great!  :-*

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
We just finished playing a Hidalgo Fire ourselves. I wish I had boards like those. Oh well, can't have it all. Anyway, Lagoon of Terror - the one I've been waiting for!

Very cool! I hope you have some pics to share? How did it go?

Marvellous stuff! I am really enjoying this adventure. Lagoon of terror sounds great!  :-*

The guys played Lagoon of Terror last night and it was a blast! It turned out to be a real nail-biter down to the final activation and they all wanted to play it again immediately.  lol lol

THANKS

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
Terrific AAR and eye-candy!  :-* I'm looking forward to the Lagoon of Terror.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 04:57:39 AM »
Your tables are consistently a joy to see!  Richard

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
Another brilliant AAR!

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42:47 AM »
Thanks all the comments. We appreciate it!

This was a really fun scenario to watch. They didn't know where/when the major plot point was going to pop up, so it really kept everyone scrambling around.  lol

HAVE FUN

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
Another great AAR!

Where is the boat from?

Is the pottery repainted beads?

Thanks for posting this.

Offline Johnny Aces

• Bookworm
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 03:14:53 AM »
It's great to see these playing out on the table top.

I always pictured the old Sailor as Dave but having him pass out from the onset of a turkey sandwich induced food coma didn't fit the story too well.

"With bread clinging perilously to his teeth and the tang of mustard on his turkey-flavored breath, Dave, the Old Sailor, belches out the coordinates before lapsing into flatulent unconsciousness." Just doesn't have the same feel...
Co-Writer of Pulp Alley:Perilous Island
Grand Poobah of Pulp Alley Propaganda

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:46:32 AM »
Another great AAR!

Where is the boat from?

Is the pottery repainted beads?

The boat is from MBA. We got lucky and found a discounted one. We had to do some minor repairs, but it works great for us.

The beads are "barely repainted" beads. We got a mixed bag that included various shapes and colors, and all we did was stain and dry-brush.  ;)

"With bread clinging perilously to his teeth and the tang of mustard on his turkey-flavored breath, Dave, the Old Sailor, belches out the coordinates before lapsing into flatulent unconsciousness." Just doesn't have the same feel...

Mmmm... tur *burp* key... mmm... . .   .

THANKS!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »

Where is the boat from?

Another good boat in the same style is from Brigade Models. I have one of these and it's an excellent little vessel in the $25 range.

http://www.brigadegames.com/Steam-Launch-waterline-model_p_1690.html

-Eli
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
Another good boat in the same style is from Brigade Models. I have one of these and it's an excellent little vessel in the $25 range.

http://www.brigadegames.com/Steam-Launch-waterline-model_p_1690.html

-Eli

Very nice, Eli! Thanks for the link.  :D