Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Osprey Nationalist Uniforms  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
New Osprey Nationalist Uniforms
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Civil-War-1936-39-Nationalist/dp/1782007822/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379946800&sr=1-13

May next year - Osprey title on Nationalist unifiorms  - Republicans to follow - god knows when.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: New Osprey Nationalist Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on this.  :)

I hope the author shows a little more even-handedness than he did on the 'Bay of Pigs' book though.  ::)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
We can only hope.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:41 AM »
Looking at the cover it seems that it might just be a rehash of the illustrations used in previous books, I do hope not!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on this.  :)

I hope the author shows a little more even-handedness than he did on the 'Bay of Pigs' book though.  ::)

Probably not. Apart from being a chronic right wing brigadista fan boi, he's a consistently shit author. The Bay of Pigs title might be a steaming pile but his Osprey on the Chaco War isn't much better. It's a safe bet as to where the authors sympathies would lie re the SCW.

Oh and just cos it annoys me every time I see the same rubbish endlessly repeated lets put one claim in that title to rest. The Bolivian Army was not "the first Latin American country to acquire armoured fighting vehicles and deploy them in combat". Twaddle.  Brazil purchased FT-17s and armoured cars more than a decade earlier and used they were used in the Revolution of 1932. Armoured cars were deployed and saw combat in the Revolution of 1924 and again during the Revolution of 1930.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest it's one of those persistent myths that pops up every time the war is mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:08:47 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
Republicans to follow - god knows when.

January 2015.

Looking at the cover it seems that it might just be a rehash of the illustrations used in previous books, I do hope not!

Nope – that's a temporary cover visual that will be replaced when the art for the book is done. With our distributors needing information (including covers) so far in advance, we have to make do with what we have to hand for many of the titles – here, we shamelessly poached artwork from MAA 74!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:00:27 PM »
Oh and just cos it annoys me every time I see the same rubbish endlessly repeated lets put one claim in that title to rest. The Bolivian Army was not "the first Latin American country to acquire armoured fighting vehicles and deploy them in combat". Twaddle.  Brazil purchased FT-17s and armoured cars more than a decade earlier and used they were used in the Revolution of 1932. Armoured cars were deployed and saw combat in the Revolution of 1924 and again during the Revolution of 1930.

Perhaps he meant first to acquire and then use them against another country?  ;)

I always enjoy the illustrations... I suppose to be fair, if we wanted 'academic quality' writing, we would have to pay academic prices and suffer the handbag-swinging peer review slug-fests and petty spats that go with it. Plus five or six pages of references would push other content down or prices up too.

:?