Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:00:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689820
  • Total Topics: 118298
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Trader  (Read 13392 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Rogue Trader
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
I keep reading that the retro rules are still in use.  Its a long time since I played 40K and even longer since I used 1st Edition.  Nostalgia is drawing me back, but I can't recall what was better about the earlier rules.  Thoughts?  ???
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Rogue Trader
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
From what I remember, the Rogue Trader book was a pretty generic one.

There were lots of tables for choosing stats, abilities, skills, mutations, psychic powers etc.

Although there were 'suggested stats' for various races, very little was set in stone.

Points values were related to stat values rather than 'playtested' characters/troops.

It was a lot of fun because you could tailor stats to suit any miniatures you had so you could use them in the game.

Vehicles/walkers were also covered in a similar way.

There was also a lot of 'random generation' that could be done.

That is all I can remember.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
Yes, there was an emphasis on narrative rather than competitive games in those pre-Grimdark, pre-codex, pre-"The GW Hobby"TM days.

That said, the setting was quite grim and somewhat dark. They also started adding the army lists, the vehicle kits etc. PDQ after RT's release.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »
The game can be really unbalanced, but alot deeper for skirmish level gaming. It is better with a GM or at least players who agree to have a balanced force, or some kind of narrative/objective based game.

Works with realm of chaos and there are plenty of army lists. The compendium has them all in, along with chapter approved.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
Is it still possible to get these rules? Maybe in PDF, somewhere?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
Is it still possible to get these rules? Maybe in PDF, somewhere?

If GW decided to re-release them in a non-Apple format, I'd be among the first to queue to get them.

Now, I now you were not asking for it, but I must remind everyone that we cannot allow links to copyrighted material for download unless it is a legit offer by the rights holder, so everyone replying to this please keep this in mind.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
It is available on eBay.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
For me, the great thing about Rogue Trader is not really the rules. So far I only played it once and it was not a huge succes, that said I will probably try it out some more in the future.

What I do really like about Rogue Trader is, the huge amount of possibilities and freedom in the games. This is something that got lost very quickly when army lists and competitive gaming was introduced.

Also I really do like the setting too, I feel that it was more open back then and less restrictive as I feel it has become now. I still like the 40K setting, but then again it might be because the people I game with tend to take it on the light side and we still do whatever we like instead of feeling forced to follow newer GW doctrines.

For me Rogue Trader is the beginning of a journey into possibilities and new 40K gaming is trying to stop you from having any possibilities other than buying expensive toys and getting pounded by poer gamers.

Of course it is possible to have enjoyable games with new 40K. I guess it always depend on what you seek and who you pley with.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
I was reading through the random mission generator and there are some classic little narratives in there.

That's what I enjoyed about RT, the depth in respect to the universe which has been lost a little now.

It akso worked so well with a GM too. Added to the richness when you had a troupe of mimics following a covert ops squad, blowing their cover with such hilarity.

Lol
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »
I agree with the Commander, in my opinion Rogue Trader was about the setting, your story and creativity.
(Today's 40K seems to be about consumerism... Though they try to hint back to old stuff in 6th ed. But sadly, it feels like artificial and contrived nostalgia, those little "Forging a narrative" callouts in the new book have me thinking "forgery" instead of "smithing". Now the old scenario generator, every time I read it, my eyes light up, I start smiling and ideas start sparking.)

I especially like the smaller size engagements that Rogue Trader was intended for, where everyone was someone and they actually mattered.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »
Eldar pirates.  Marines with shotguns or Eldar weapons or whatever struck your fancy.  More imagination and creativity friendly.   :D
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Crunchy weapons rules, crunchy equipment rules, vehicle rules that were in parts too crunchy (Turn Radius Ratio, I'm looking at you), alien creatures that were fun on legs, plus the whole fun attitude that runs through the Rogue Trader book.

Also flying surfboards, dinosaurs and its meshing with WHFB 3rd edition.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
I keep reading that the retro rules are still in use.  Its a long time since I played 40K and even longer since I used 1st Edition.  Nostalgia is drawing me back, but I can't recall what was better about the earlier rules.  Thoughts?  ???

The book itself, the art, the feel and he lack of army lists, it really is build what you want. Ypi even have the points costing system in the book so you can boost our orks to match the marines....

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »
Eldar pirates.  Marines with shotguns or Eldar weapons or whatever struck your fancy.  More imagination and creativity friendly.   :D

And this!

Plus Dreads called Chuck and Eddie (if I remember) and it's when you got three rhinos or two land raiders for a tenner!

One thing that always bugged me was a lack of squat special gear though....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:29:32 PM by thebinmann »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
If GW decided to re-release them in a non-Apple format, I'd be among the first to queue to get them.

Does this mean you can get it in Apple?