Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690621
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Galactic Frontier (9/23 update: Operation Snakepit!)  (Read 15356 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Galactic Frontier (9/23 update: Operation Snakepit!)
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
I've started to gather together photos and fluff for my homebrew sci-fi setting, the Galactic Frontier. Most of this stuff has been stewing for years, influenced by stuff like Aliens, Firefly, Rogue Trader, Full Thrust and Tomorrow's War (to name just a few).

So far, the setting is based around a single planet, Fornacis V, the largest planet in the system of the same name. It's a dusty, windswept world with a few temperate forests and significant mineral resources. The Fornacis system itself is home to a few more planets, mostly outside the habitable zone but nonetheless colonized by various factions using atmosphere domes and other tech.

The Fornacis system is a major jumping-off point for fleets exploring the outer reaches of the galaxy, and it has all the trappings of the wild west: expeditionary forces, mercenary armies, indigenous threats, bugs, plus plenty of locations for land and space battles to take place. Most of this will be detailed later.

My goal with this setting is to create games at various scales (28mm, 10mm and fleet-scale starship gaming) that tie together to create a flavorful narrative campaign. For 28mm skirmish, my preference would be to use Tomorrow's War, In the Emperor's Name or perhaps WarEngine. At 10mm, my options are Panzer8 (extremely rules-lite but dead simple), Future War Commander, or Alpha Strike (the new fast-play BattleTech game). At fleet scale, I'll use Full Thrust.

Many of my factions are already painted and ready to go, so check back regularly for updates and battle reports!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:54:53 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Galactic Frontier (factions, setting, etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Here are some pics of the main mercenary army operating in the Galactic Frontier: Markham's Thunderbolts.

Backstory: After an impressive series of campaigns in the galactic core, Colonel Wade Markham led his Thunderbolts to the untamed frontier for an extended contract with the Voyvoda Mining Guild. They are tasked with protecting the guild's interests in the system. So far they have skirmished with virtually all of the known factions, though the constantly shifting allegiances in the frontier have made for some odd bedfellows these last few months.

Here is Col. Markham himself overseeing a routine deployment outside the Hultgren Refinery on Fornacis V.

Infantry are from Pig Iron and Markham is from Reaper's Chronoscope line. I envision him as a sort of shrewd sci-fi Texan, with a drawl and a keen command of strategy and tactics on the battlefield. Think Sam Elliott in power armor.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:36:10 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
This sounds good. I like the background to the setting, it should make for some interesting scenarios. Have you drawn up any maps of the world yet? I always get carried away at that point and end up researching the climatic effects of mountain ranges (rain shadows and the like) and useless stuff like that! Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
I'm a firm believer in creating my own sci-fi settings, so I can only applaud your decision. Can't wait to see more  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Ha! You managed to get some stuff up while I was replying! I really like the look of those, they 'fit' the fluff nicely.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, y'all! Here are some more pics of Markham's Thunderbolts.

In action: Securing the well-head near the Wexpro Pipe Interchange, just south of New Tupelov.

In action: Squad and medic taking a break after the big push toward Geirrod City.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:36:53 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
Nice paint jobs.

8)

Making up your own campaign setting is half the fun.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
Nice idea for a setting and those miniatures look great. Really like the Chronoscope miniature. Fits in perfectly with the Pig Iron guys. On first glance, before I had a proper look, I assumed it was just another one of the Pig Iron guys with an old west head.

Keep 'em coming. Looking forward to seeing who they're going to be throwing down against.  :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:59:42 PM »
Choked a bit on the 'space-suited marshal', but you had me with 'Think Sam Elliott in power armor.'  lol

Loads of fun!

However, if you include Aliens, those piccies are entirely to 'shiny'. Where's the dark, dank, and dripping water?  ;)

Will watch in anticipation.

Doug

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
This sounds good. I like the background to the setting, it should make for some interesting scenarios. Have you drawn up any maps of the world yet? I always get carried away at that point and end up researching the climatic effects of mountain ranges (rain shadows and the like) and useless stuff like that! Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

I've not done any maps yet. To avoid driving myself crazy, I'll probably only detail the areas on the planet(s) that are part of a conflict, and leave the rest shrouded in the fog of war.  8)

However, if you include Aliens, those piccies are entirely to 'shiny'. Where's the dark, dank, and dripping water?  ;)

Indeed, there are xenomorphs in this setting, just waiting to infest various reactors, refineries, ruined cities and derelict spaceships. Also regular stomp-em-with-your-boot bugs, too. I'll do my best to take some atmospheric shots of both in their natural habitat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:03:07 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
A few more pics of the Thunderbolts mercenaries, including heavy weapons ...

Moving into position:

Heavy laser team deployed:

Missile launcher team deployed:

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
Here is another big player on the Galactic Frontier -- the Terran Heavy Infantry.

Backstory: The tip of the spear for the humans of Old Earth, the Terran Heavy Infantry arrived on the frontier 10 years ago and has expanded its influence in the intervening years. The faction boasts a fleet of starships and a capable land-based force of Terran marines and light infantry. They are the establishment-based foil against rogue operators like Colonel Markham and his Thunderbolts mercenary army.

Figures are mostly plastic Warzone Bauhaus guys with gas mask heads from Pig Iron. The chunky power armor guy in the back is from Legions of Steel ... he's a squad leader here.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »
More Terran Heavy Infantry, this time an action shot from the Cronid Sector Pacification Operation.

And a close-up of the heavy infantry taking up defensive positions inside a bombed-out building.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:59:24 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
Ah, finally, some dark corners... lol

Coming along nicely; are those shock troopers?

Doug

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
Some great ideas and minis, i will be following  :)